Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: vmg trannie options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default vmg trannie options

I am doing some research for a project Im going to start when I get back from deployment.
Here it is:
I have a 1/12 90s Jeep yj hard body off of a Tamiya QD truck. I want to build a ladder chassis and use VMG axles a coil over suspension and modified 1/18 nylint wheels. My problem is that the tranny is just too tall. I would like to have something like the r2 tranny from RC4WD
but Im afraid that will be too big. Does anyone know of a tranny setup similar but for a 370 motor? thanks DOC.

PS: does anyone know where I can get the steering servo mounts for the front axle?
docsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2007, 01:55 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Maybe a Mini-T trans? You can get an aluminum housing, spur, pinion, and a ball diff for pretty cheap. Should be pretty stout. i had thought about going that route with a VMG I have laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsbear View Post
I am doing some research for a project Im going to start when I get back from deployment.
Here it is:
I have a 1/12 90s Jeep yj hard body off of a Tamiya QD truck. I want to build a ladder chassis and use VMG axles a coil over suspension and modified 1/18 nylint wheels. My problem is that the tranny is just too tall. I would like to have something like the r2 tranny from RC4WD
but Im afraid that will be too big. Does anyone know of a tranny setup similar but for a 370 motor? thanks DOC.

PS: does anyone know where I can get the steering servo mounts for the front axle?
shutupanddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I know BlueMonster threw a Mini LST tranny in his and had good success with it.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I am doing a custom Scaler style chassis with BlueMonsters old Mini-LST tranny (mentioned above) since he isn't using it anymore. VMG Axles, HiMax Gear Reduction and Mamba Brushless setup. All with a Big Bear Body to top it off.

I know the MLST is probably your best bet, and if you stick at it, you can get one from E-bay for about $15 shipped. Just be patient.

Only worry i have is the plastic gears shredding in the axles.... I wish there was a similarly sized axle that was metal inside. :-(
Rob92k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #5

How wide are VMG axles? I'm thinking of using them for a scale build.
jeepxjcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Why not just lay the VMG trans on it's side? VMG axles are about 5 1/2" wide.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 04-14-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Real problem with the vmg tranny is strength. I just put a brushless in mine yesterday. with a 8 cell pack on the Mamba Comp setup, It shreds tranny gears, hex's and pinion gears pretty easily. I am going to have to reprogram the mamba to have a much smoother roll onto the power to keep the drivetrain intact.

BUT MAN.... What a fun truck.

Here are some pics from the R/C Comp we had yesterday....

VMG Chassis (extremely cut and reinforced)
VMG Axles (bearings and locked Diff)
9" wheel Base
Mamba Comp Setup
HiMax Gear Reduction

AND YES, IT STILL CRAWLS DECENTLY

Old 04-15-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
K_B
I wanna be Dave

That turned out really nice. Looks like you used the stock wheels to adapt the TLT wheels, eh?
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. Yep, just front-halfed em and CA'ed in place, seem to hold up really well, then just drilled out the center of the TLT wheel so the lug wrench would fit though and use the stock VMG hardware.

I have a set of Mini LST's that are modified in a similar way I am getting from a buddy tomorrow. I'll see how those look. with the brushless setup the truck really needs smaller wheels/tires to clear the body at a lower height, it's really top heavy and unstable in high speed turns with the mamba power plant.

But it's a fun truck again, can't wait to build a custom scale chassis for it now that i know what I want it to be. I am going to start cutting the chassis for it tuesday and hopefully have it done by next weekend sometime. Depends on work.