Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Need help with a scale chassis design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Need help with a scale chassis design

This chassis is designed for a 1.9 scale build, leaf'd front, 4-link rear. I decided to build my own after looking at the prices of some of the chassis, and then realizing that I had access to a CNC mill and a bunch of aluminum scrap. I posted a thread over in the 1.9 section on general build, but am looking for specific advice on the frame.

Left is front, the blue line is a representation of the leaf, short verticle line is a .75" shackle.

sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

what kind of advice are you looking for? what do you need help with? we need some info before we can help
xjwalt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thoughts on the design, how well it could work, weather or not their is anything just "wrong" about it.

Last edited by sudo; 04-18-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

i know youre doing linked rear, but with your design, i still feel you need to reevaluate the front part of the chassis. the shackle needs movement in order for proper operation. as the spring compresses the shackle moves rearward as the spring flattens out. see the rear for the imaginary shackle that at full compression can be almost flat, giving the most flex out of that leaf spring. your design sets the spring up with little room for the shackle to work. also you need the front spring eye and the rear spring eye to be level with eachother for the best steering geometry, and you can make the rear eye higher a little to help with pinion angle too. not sure what happened last time but here is a drawing.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

now that i look at my drawing, i see that there are two short verticle lines. I'm planing on running the shackle on the front for better movement. Do i want to have the two eyes on the spring level with each other when mounted, or have the the shackle mount hole level with the other eye?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

you can put the shackle on the front, but it kinda eats approach angles, barely though. the two spring eyes should be level with eachother, and that will ensure a level axle. the shackle mounting holes are relative to the length of the shackle and you can determine the best place to put them. just eye to eye is best to be level.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

With the way the frame is set up, there should still be 1/4" infront of the shackle when it's maxed out.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

This is probably going to be the plan for the first milled piece. Although I may just cut it with PLASMA! I flattened out the front arch, and moved the front area up so that the shackle will sit where intended with room for mounting.

[img=http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7812/frame2qh0.png]
Old 04-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

This is probably going to be the plan for the first milled piece. Although I may just cut it with PLASMA! I flattened out the front arch, and moved the front area up so that the shackle will sit where intended with room for mounting.