Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: busisiness idea (a suggestion for someone else)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default busisiness idea (a suggestion for someone else)

first the brackets in the title are for the mods

but to the point
if someone with the ability. could setup a buisseness sellin hard/scale bodies plus other stuff but mainly bodies.
i think they would do good from it, so if your lookin for something to sell here it is

what people think; would you like a hard body shop
james12s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The price it would take to make a mold worth making would be thousand and thousands of dollars. To get the detail needed would be very expensive to do. Then add Door handles, wipers, Lights and so on. It would be very hard for a Vendor on here to front that kind of cash for just a Body.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

It would be cool, but I would have to agree with R2Jn. The mold would be expensive and not too many people would be willing to cough up the money for the body. Look at that Jeep cherokee body from Germany (?) $300 or close to that isn't it? I'm too cheap to pay more than $30, maybe $40. Would be cool though.

Last edited by 500swmag; 05-10-2007 at 05:07 AM.
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see it happen. But you couldn't just make one mold. You would need to make Jeeps, Toy's, Nissans, Chevy's, Fords and so one. Then there is all the legal crap from all of them. Just to get the rights. You would have 10's of thousands of dollars rapped up in it.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i mean, buy like the popular bodies and sell them all from one shop, i know there expencive to make molds for and i should have been clearer
Old 05-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Guys have already been doping that. RCP is and Unimoger did.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

do they sell bodies then, if they do its not many is it ?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Scale Plastic Bodies Just Arrived **RCP Crawlers*
Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

just seen it, im an idiot aint i

*****yes you are***** lol

james
Old 05-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Not only for the Vendor would this be expensive, but also for the customer. As the vendor would have to make up for the expense some how and that would come out in the Bodies that would be produced. So an example of this as I have been looking into this myself.

Clay to start the mold process- Approx $100-$200
ABS or Acrylic to pour into the Mold for 1/10 scale $130 + for 2 gallons (White, Black and Clear a little more money) would probably need 2 containers just for 2-4 molds to make the process worth you while.
Liquid Latex 3M to make the Mold - $125 + This is roughly 1 gallon of material. Once molded it can be reused numerous times and molds very fine details.
Then the Mold Release.
And of course your time. For the first timer usually the first mold or two don't come out very well because, you are learning where to cut the clay to make the mold lines and possible air bubbles getting into the details.
So for a large scale Cab and Bed truck you are talking roughly $60.00 per part. Not many members want to shell out that kind of money when you can go to Tower or another vendor and buy Lexan bodies or a HiLift truck body.
Eviltwin_52s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwin_52s View Post
Not only for the Vendor would this be expensive, but also for the customer. As the vendor would have to make up for the expense some how and that would come out in the Bodies that would be produced. So an example of this as I have been looking into this myself.

Clay to start the mold process- Approx $100-$200
ABS or Acrylic to pour into the Mold for 1/10 scale $130 + for 2 gallons (White, Black and Clear a little more money) would probably need 2 containers just for 2-4 molds to make the process worth you while.
Liquid Latex 3M to make the Mold - $125 + This is roughly 1 gallon of material. Once molded it can be reused numerous times and molds very fine details.
Then the Mold Release.
And of course your time. For the first timer usually the first mold or two don't come out very well because, you are learning where to cut the clay to make the mold lines and possible air bubbles getting into the details.
So for a large scale Cab and Bed truck you are talking roughly $60.00 per part. Not many members want to shell out that kind of money when you can go to Tower or another vendor and buy Lexan bodies or a HiLift truck body.
I DIDNT MEAN MAKE MOULDS!!!!! READ THE PREVIOUS POSTS!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by james12s View Post

Nice Your Caps Lock must be stuck. LOL

Quote:
05-10-2007 05:22 AMrun2jeepnGuys have already been doping that. RCP is and Unimoger did.
Why would I be worried about anything other then Molds to make your own as run2jeepn stated two other Vendors are already taking the time to either strip Cheap Walmart Nikko or Newbright bodies down to sell.

I didnt tell you to use the Search Button (as you would have been able to see that others are selling them), so I would expect the same courtesy from you, so don't assume that I didn't read the other posts.
Eviltwin_52s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by james12s View Post
i think i'm deaf
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:28 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

1 DID 1 is going to put it on the web site

i didnt know bout that when i posted it, i only replied as i wish people would read past posts

and i meant to use caps lock as i was rather annoyed