Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Mamba MONSTER Max!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
John, what motor do you recommend running with it on a sand rail?
I have the same question...
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #42

Default monster backorder

Hey John, I had another question on that Monster backorder issue if you can please email me. (think my email may have got spam-tossed)

Also, wish I had the cash for that Z00!.. thing looks fun, good luck with the sale.
billdapart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #43
Winner of the '07 RCC dumbass award!

Default Waterproof???

Sometimes, its just not wheelin without H2O...

Anyone know anything as far as the Monster being waterproof? I realize the fan might not like it but have they coated the boards in epoxy like the MM and the M 25?

Sorry, just hard to have a motor capable of 2.5 HP and not point it at the mud.

WC
WheelChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Hey John, any news on the status of these bad boys?
Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #45
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

WC- it is conformal coated but I wouldn't get it wet.

For a sand rail, you can select as big of a motor as you want. The wind will be determined by voltage, and size will determine your overall power. A 2,000 kv motor on 6s would be a blast and have really long runtimes.

The latest news- Castle is trying to determine the cause of a 30% BEC IC failure rate. The part is sourced from a factory that can't help them, so it is bouncing between bad part or design flaw. My ESC is still running strong. I would expect them to figure it out and do another run within 6-8 weeks, but that is totally a guess.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Hey John, it says you have 8 or 9 in stock.. Does that mean if I order one its going to ship, or is that a pre order or back order?

I am going to be buying the parts to turn my LST2 into electric. Still deciding on motors but im thinking a 9XL on a 4S 10,000MAH MaxAmps lipo. And of course the MMM...

Let me know!
PapaGeno21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #47
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Got word that Castle just shipped them. They oversold the controller so I have stopped all backorders since I will not receive my full allotment. There may be a few straglers available after backorders are taken care of, but not likely. Thanks for the support, and all backorders should be shipping out by early to mid next week.
I too, am waiting for delivery of a couple of these and would like a little update as well. Castle over selling their position doesn't help matters.

Leigh
sLeigh_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #48

The MMM had one hardware issue that is being resolved. One part was not holding up to quality control standards (A chip that Castle buys to control the BEC), so they are redesigning and figuring out the best way to resolve the issue.

I have taken down the 9 preorder and updated the product information to reflect the change. Once I get a lead on when they will be remanufactured I will give some updates. Mine is still running strong, but some of the units had an early failure because of the bad components which Castle could not control.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

So when do you think you will have them in stock? This isnt something I will be getting this week, more like in a few weeks or so. If the MMM isnt in stock at the time, how is the Castle Hydra 120?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #50

The hydra doesn't have brakes. I would suggest waiting if the MMM isn't done when you are ready to buy. A few weeks of patience will make sure you don't waste money and you get something made for a monster truck.

I am hoping 4 to 6 weeks on the redesign.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #51

Quote:
The MMM had one hardware issue that is being resolved. One part was not holding up to quality control standards (A chip that Castle buys to control the BEC), so they are redesigning and figuring out the best way to resolve the issue.

I have taken down the 9 preorder and updated the product information to reflect the change. Once I get a lead on when they will be remanufactured I will give some updates. Mine is still running strong, but some of the units had an early failure because of the bad components which Castle could not control.
This brings a few questions to my mind.

1.) Because I run a CC BEC there will not be a problem right?

2.) Does the problem only effect the BEC?

3.) Will castle be taking back version 1 and replacing it with the newer one?

Thank You!
WC
Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #52

You can still have the problem with an external BEC, if the internal BEC on the MMM fails it won't work.

The problem only effects the IC of the BEC- something Castle could not control

Castle will repair any MMM that has a problem. If it is not repairable then it will get replaced.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #53

Quote:
You can still have the problem with an external BEC, if the internal BEC on the MMM fails it won't work.

The problem only effects the IC of the BEC- something Castle could not control

Castle will repair any MMM that has a problem. If it is not repairable then it will get replaced.

Sweet!

I have run about 6, 4S A123 packs through mine....
Took the gear reduction off last night to see how it would do.

Have you run a 3032 on anything large and fast?!!

It throws my 18-20lb rig around like it weighs 4 ounces!

I can not get over the power!

My Monster got rained on at the finals last weekend too, never missed a beat.

WC
Old 06-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Brakes dont matter to me as I wont be using them through the motor anyways. Going to run a Y Harness like everyone else with the LST2 and run the actual brakes it would use with the nitro through the servo.

Most people are using the Hydra 120, but if you want crazy power there is the Hydra 240.

Also, then there is the MGM speed controls. I have a lot of looking around to do but I dont know if I am going to wait or not on the MMM. If its got bugs I think ill wait a few months and then get it once they are all sorted out. I dont want to wait for it, get it and then have it screw up on me you know. I would rahter get something that works, let them figurer it all out and then get it becuase I LOVE the programability the castles have.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #55

The big difference between the Hydra is the startup routine. The hardware is different and it isn't as solid on startup as the mamba line of controllers.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Alright, so do you know of a good speed control that can do what I need? Other than the MMM.

Do you have any of the MMM's you would sell me?

I need something within the month, and it needs to be able to handle at least 120Amps as the LST weighs like 15lbs loaded with electric parts..
Old 07-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

JRH, Would the BEC problem that's going on with the MMM show a degraded performance, or would BEC just quit working? I'm curous because my servo's don't seem to be getting enough juice to turn my rig right.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus View Post
JRH, Would the BEC problem that's going on with the MMM show a degraded performance, or would BEC just quit working? I'm curous because my servo's don't seem to be getting enough juice to turn my rig right.
The BEC problem that has happened with the MMM results in a dead system altogether. The brains for the MMM run off of the BEC as well, so when it goes south, the whole unit does.

Also, the internal BEC in the MMM is not 6V, so if you're used to your servos running on 6V before the MMM, that could be the issue.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, that's probably it. Might be time to see if there's a meaner servo for less than 6v.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus View Post
Thanks, that's probably it. Might be time to see if there's a meaner servo for less than 6v.
Why not just add a Castle BEC? If you use a short servo extension with the red wire removed, you have isolated the MMM internal BEC to running itself only. Then, just add the Castle BEC set to your preferred voltage and you're set. I mention adding the extension so you still have the full complement of wires for programming with the Castle Link when you unplug the MMM from the servo extension cable. In this setup, the MMM BEC only powers it's brain board and the Castle BEC runs your Rx and servos. It'll be cheaper than replacing servos.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote