Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: New SBK owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #1

Default New SBK owner

Hello all, this is my first crawler. I knew I wanted to build one rather than buy the RTR Venture and end up replacing a bunch of parts. I already have the FJ body on the way. I’ll probably get the Proline BFG K02 tires so it will match my real one. Can you guys recommend a steering servo and brushed rebuildable motor. I think I’m going to get the HW brushed crawler ESC. I still have a motor lathe from the early 2000’s so I can use that to cut the comm. I will also be getting aftermarket steering knuckles and aluminum C hubs. Any advice is appreciated.
Toothless9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #2

Default Re: New SBK owner

Should have posted in the newb section
AZdirtdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:26 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Hi and welcome. I'm using a Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster expert 30T motor and an old but good Mamba Max Pro esc in my SBK. Also SSD make very nice brass knuckles which put some weight on the front and low down. A Bow House 3D printed skid also gives a little more clearance.

The Hobbywing 1080 exc is very popular. I have a couple in other trucks, but I cant get one of them to adjust the low voltage cut off below 3.8 volts, so it's sitting in it's box for now.

Have fun with the build. I was one of the first here to build an SBK and it's great quality.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
Hello all, this is my first crawler. I knew I wanted to build one rather than buy the RTR Venture and end up replacing a bunch of parts. I already have the FJ body on the way. I’ll probably get the Proline BFG K02 tires so it will match my real one. Can you guys recommend a steering servo and brushed rebuildable motor. I think I’m going to get the HW brushed crawler ESC. I still have a motor lathe from the early 2000’s so I can use that to cut the comm. I will also be getting aftermarket steering knuckles and aluminum C hubs. Any advice is appreciated.
The Venture RTR is pretty solid, but I would have chosen the kit if that was available when I purchased mine.

Will the BFGs fit in the wheel wells? I'm not sure what size those tires are.

What's your budget? Holmes and Team Brood both offer nice, rebuildable, brushed motors. Servos can range from $20 to $250. You can't go wrong with Savox unless you hate the constant buzz that they make like I'm starting to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdirtdog007 View Post
Should have posted in the newb section
He's building a Venture so this section is fine.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Congrats on the kit. It's a great little build. I would suggest the SSD brass knuckles as the are the heaviest you can buy. As for the tires they are a little larger for the body. I have a set and was testing them out on my RTR Venture. I picked up the RTR used so the wheel wells were trimmed to make larger tires fit as shown below. As you can see how the tires fit before you decide what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
Congrats on the kit. It's a great little build. I would suggest the SSD brass knuckles as the are the heaviest you can buy. As for the tires they are a little larger for the body. I have a set and was testing them out on my RTR Venture. I picked up the RTR used so the wheel wells were trimmed to make larger tires fit as shown below. As you can see how the tires fit before you decide what to do.
That looks nice trimmed like that!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome. I just ordered the Savox 1210 SG and the SSD knuckles and C-hub. I didn’t think about the tire sizing when I ordered the BFG tires. I assumed a 1.9 would fit. I have not ordered the wheels though. I suppose all the wheels have different offsets. I also ordered the wheel well set. Are the kit bearings good or should I get the rubber seal set?
Old 04-05-2019, 03:16 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Good stuff you got there. The bearings are ok, but I just used them and when they wear, will install rubber shielded. Some of the bearings are a bit slack in the steel gears, so maybe get some bearing fit loctite. I wish Ihad had some when I built mine.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #9

I budgeted about $600 to $700 for this build. I know it sounds like a lot but I use to race touring car and 12th scale so you already know that those cars can cost that much for the kit alone! Oh, and those cars can only be used on prepared tracks or indoor carpet. I’ve already spent about $550 but that includes the ESC, servo, tires, body, wheel wells, and some aluminum bits. I still need wheels and possibly a motor. Do anyone think I can use the old brush motors from the early 2000’s. Like a 27 turn stock motor back in the day? These motors are just sitting around. If I can, I would like to use up my old stuff if I can without damaging my new purchases like the ESC or the batteries.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
I budgeted about $600 to $700 for this build. I know it sounds like a lot but I use to race touring car and 12th scale so you already know that those cars can cost that much for the kit alone! Oh, and those cars can only be used on prepared tracks or indoor carpet. I’ve already spent about $550 but that includes the ESC, servo, tires, body, wheel wells, and some aluminum bits. I still need wheels and possibly a motor. Do anyone think I can use the old brush motors from the early 2000’s. Like a 27 turn stock motor back in the day? These motors are just sitting around. If I can, I would like to use up my old stuff if I can without damaging my new purchases like the ESC or the batteries.
You should be able to use up your old 27T motors. Some use 35T. Only thing is it might be a little on the quick side.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I use 30t motors no problem, but they are meant more for crawling than racing. If you get the gearing right you should be ok. Also the 1080 esc is fairly tunable with the program card. I still prefer my older Mamba Max Pro esc's though as they can be set up from a pc with the link and software.

You could try a cheaper motor such as the RC4WD 35T but they are not really rebuildable and not as good as a decent quality such as Holmes, Tekin etc.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #12

Unhappy Re: New SBK owner

Damn, just read the thread on HPI racing going into administration. I still like the truck but I am disappointed that I might have bought a dead end vehicle. I looked at all the stock parts still available on AMain hobbies and just buying future spares cost almost as much as a new SBK kit.

New SBK owner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For those waiting on the SBK to arrive in the US GA Dawg HPI Venture 41 10-25-2019 04:05 PM
Mitch's Hpi Venture SBK M1tch HPI Venture 128 09-04-2019 04:11 AM
Carpetfuzz's Venture SBK carpetfuzz17 HPI Venture 42 04-10-2019 01:32 AM
SBK PDF manual link. M1tch HPI Venture 0 02-27-2019 12:02 PM