Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: RYOBI 2 speed tranny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RYOBI 2 speed tranny

I have a couple of ryobi drills sitting around, and they both have 2 speed trannys. There is a 1st, and 2nd gear switch on the top of it. Has anyone used a drill tranny before? Is it worth a shot? I would love to buy a 2 speed, or 3 speed, but i dont have the money to buy one. Any input?

Last edited by gearmonkey23; 01-21-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling, waste of edufukation.
gearmonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I have definitely heard of people using drill gearboxes for various RC projects. Not on a rock crawler though. I guess you'l have try it and see how it goes.
Maggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

what kind of motor is on them. what voltage does it use. youd probly have to use the motor.
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have a 55t lathe. It doesnt matter what voltage it is, its a manuel gearbox. Its not a "variable" speed deal. Click it to first, and it spins slow as hell, 2nd and its a sewing machine.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

how big is the ryobi tranny?
ruck"n"roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Its not huge, maybe 2 1/2 in long, by 1 1/2 tall. Its like a cyclinder on its side.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i was talking about the drill motor. would that motor work it probably has gobs of power
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

There's a tuber build by CCFBerg in the 2.2 scalers section that uses a 12v Dewalt drill tranny.

Linky: My Tuber build, Hydraulic Steering, Custom Hubs, Front Dig with Disk Brake, lots of p
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted

Ya I did it with a 2 speed 12V Dewalt trans, It was a pain in the AZZZZ but once I got it all adapted up its great. I had to make an adapter for the motor and then a bell housing to protect the planitary gear gutts in the dewalt trans and then couple that to an rc10gt trany I used as a transfer case. First gear is Grany LOW!!!! 2nd gear gives me some wheel speed though. you can just drive your axles strait off the drill trans but I wanted LOW LoW gearing. Also the dewalt trans I used I got from athe Dewalt service store cause it was the same one I have in my old drill. It was $65 and the 18v newer modle 3speed is only $26 but its all plastic gears and the 12v is all steel. I didnt even think about this untill I had to tear my drill apart and fix it cause a bushing fell out of the back of the motor and while I was doing that I thought hmmmmm that would make a great crawler trans. Im not a big fan of the big huge spur and pinion setup. Dont get me wrong they work great!!! And that is the standard, I was just going fo something different and mega strong. So ya it can and has been done! Also in the large scale rigs section someone built a 1/6 Ranger and used a dewalt or something equiv to it, and mounted it to a 1/6th scale chev engine model with the electric motor (65t or something mounted inside the block. Its a pretty sweet setup! If I can find it Ill post up the link, if you have more questions just ask me and hopefully I can help you. Im planning to do it again here in a bit as soon as my 2.2 is comp ready. I have a 1/6th West Coast Choppers Chev Silverado on the way, should be here on the 20th and Its going to get gutted! I have a pair of TXT axles waiting for it as well and a 1/6th Chev Engine that I might modify to make it look more like the new engines for a more scale look. I have another 2speed trans from a Ryobi drill that I found sitting outside my house.....wierd but hey its mine now. So I will most likely use it for this build.

Last edited by CCFBERG; 02-15-2008 at 06:16 PM.
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Actualy I just found it: 1/6 ranger build-up

and I think mine has already been posted up on here as well by someone else
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

also here is some info on the Dewalt trans

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

I've had a couple of the ryobi 7.2v drills set aside for this exact purpose.
They have a 7.2v pack in them, but the motor is rated to 12v. The motor is a 550 with a fair bit more torque than a standard one.. the letters 550RS and 550FS come to mind.. anyway, its the stronger one.
How do you plan on connecting the output??
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

wow i havnt seen this thread in a LONG time haha. i kinda threw the idea out when i took the thing apart. the actuall shell of the whole drill is the tranny case, if that makes sense. like, when you split the drill, bam, gears and springs go everywhere, there isnt a seperate tranny, so i would have to buil a seperate case to put it all in, and that really isnt guna happen haha. ill stil with the wk tranny, it works just fine