Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: wheely king basher questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #1

Question wheely king basher questions

I have just got myself a WK and want to have it as a basher/fast trail rig and I have a few questions.
First off: Motor
This thing is a bit to slow so i was wondering if anyone know what motor would be good? Im thinking something in the 17-21T area but i dont know what brands are good and if there are something to look for in the specs thats important for a monster truck? I want it to be faster but still have lots of torque. will also go brushless if anyone has any good ideas in that department to.

Second: Chassis
What would be the best upgrades to get for durability? I dont want it to break all the time and even though it seems solid now I dont know how it will hold up with more motor. Im planning to keep it stock looking so i will not stretch the wheelbase or anything like that. It looks to cool now.

Third: Tires
Im planning on getting some mashers2k`s Are they a great allround tire for my use? the terrain around here is very variable with all kinds of stuff to drive on and i want them to work ok everywhere. Im open to suggestions on other tire types as well. And what rims? there are so many cool designs but what to use? I want some thing stock looking but i dont know if I can get the originals.

Links to products will be apreciated.

Sorry for any bad spelling that may be
CrawlerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Motor: if you want to go faster your going to sacrifice your crawling and trailling abilities really. Going for a lesser wind will give you more speed, but little low control for crawling. You could get some stronger batteries to give more speed, while keeping the stock motor.

Or...

The 35t Warrior seesm to be a good bet for speed and torque:
http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...86/5254837.htm

Chassis: This is pretty tough really and it will take some abuse to break it. Check out www.integy.com http://www.teamstrc.com/ebproduct.asp?catmainid=14d for chassis upgrades.

Tyres: Mashers are good choice, they have the V tread which works on most services and are soft enough to crawl with. They make 2 compounds of these: M2 and the softer M3 compound. The softer M3 will give more grip, but will wear more quickly than the M2.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by simon170; 02-03-2008 at 06:12 PM.
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:38 AM   #3

yeah this helps alot I was thinking that I would maybe switch the motor around acording to the driving I would do. I will also play with the gearing.
The torque of the original motor seems fine for bashing but wont work for any crawling or trail driving. I tried a 17t touring motor and it wasnt working at all. It wouldnt pull wheelies or anything. But will a 35t with faster gearing be any faster and stronger than the stock motor?

What about the suspension? link mounts,links,shocks and such. What will break first? What are the absolute first upgrades in that department.

I think the mashers will be great to. plus they keep the stock look of the truck. what size are the mashers 2.2`s. are they bigger or smaller than the mud thrashers?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

They are a tiny bit smaller, but not by much.
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #5

Just installed a new frame set from STRC. Got it in black. Was very easy to install, didn't have to remove the wheels or shocks to do it. Just did one side at a time. It looks very cool. I also haven't decided yet about extending the wheelbase but I feel thatthis was a good first step in upgrading the WK.
Davey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #6

Ok. I have been looking at the frame kits too but i think the stock frame is pretty solid. But who knows. It might be weak with an hotter engine.

Does anyone know of any cool looking rims for it? I kinda like the stock look but I dont bother getting the original tires of them.