Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: is it possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question is it possible?

can you put 40 series tires on a Wk axle? and if you can, do I have to get a stronger servo to steer?
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Yes you will need a stronger servo. I have a buddy that narrowed a set of 40's so that they would fit. with out doing this they rubbed bad
dragnz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Sure.....you can put almost any wheel on any axle with the right adapter. Yes, you'll need a bit stronger servo than the stocker to steer those meats.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You can bolt them up with the right size hexes 14,17 & 23mm. (Duh). But in order for them to actually work, you have to have a wheel with little to no backspacing (where the wheel hex is almost flat on the inside of the wheel). My wheely king came with a set of 14mm hexes. I assume they all did. Anyways, I bolted up a full width set of proline mambos with some moab xl's onto the king just for kicks. The tires were in contact with the shocks and links. So, it can be done, clearance will just be a major issue though. I was definately thinking that with some narrowing of the rims, it would be a cool look. But with the stock wheelbase I think the tires would be touching, depending on what size you go with. And of course, you will want to go with a MUCH stronger steering servo.

FYI- I am rebuilding my WK as a basher, and used some old clodzilla links I had to extend the wheelbase to 14-15" (haven't finished yet). I am either going to try to adapt some clod wheels/tires (using the 12mm hexes and the tamiya hubs) or I want to run some Maxx rims/tires with the 14mm hexes. But no matter which route I go, I will have to mod the rims to have little to no backspacing, as previously stated.

Sorry so long winded.

Last edited by 4xFord; 02-05-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: forgot about the servo part of the question
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote