Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Bigger Tires on WK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #1

Default Bigger Tires on WK

Hey everyone I know some of you guys are like me and want to put bigger tires on your WK. Well I was able to put a set of Losi Claw MT Tires mounted on a set of magneto chrome rims on my WK I think the tires are 40 series or 420 series, alot bigger than stock. It actualy was no that difficult, I got all the stuff needed from Lowes and it only cost about $10.00 bucks (minus the rims and tires of course).

Let me tell you a little bit about my WK, WB is about 15 to 16 inches, not sure on width have not measured it with new tires and wheeladapters yet, and it weighs about 6.5 lbs. I have a Integy 65 turn motor, 15/96 gearing and silly putty in the diffs, I know the putty does not always hold but I like the fact that it will give before I break something. As far as the tires go I love them. I will never go back to a smaller tire. I love the extra ground clearence I get and the extra width I get, also those tires grip everything. Let me know if you guys want me to post the materials used and I will go back to Lowes and get the exact names and specifications of parts used to make the wheeladapters, I just cant remember right off hand.
RockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

How about some pics?
smcurry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
RCC Addict

It is very interesting that you posted this thing. I just got my WK last night with no electronics. I will be extending my wheelbase to 16". Running 4ws and a 27t motor 55 for comps. My idea was to run the standard size maxx tires hopefully cutting down on some drivetrain stress. But the 40 series would even be better. I would appreciate if you would post pics and part numbers. The way i have seen is using the rubber o rings with some washers using a 12mm hex inside of the 14mm hex but maybe your way is better... Interested.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

doesnt it put more stress on motor and tranny?
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Loosely......something like this only longer.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Something like that. I just opened up my wk no electronics version and started hacking away i will have 8inches longer wheelbase and am looking for bigger wheels/tires. And yes this is gonna be extra stress on the system. We will see what axle breaks first
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #7

Hey it's RockRider again been away for a little bit sorry to leave anyone hanging on the pics but I should be able to get some up tonight
Old 04-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

yep I run T-maxx rims and tires on my sons WK. there not much larger than the stock tires so it handles it fine.

Name:  P2230108.JPG
Views: 710
Size:  73.7 KB
Gyyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Funny to see this bumped....I've been in the process of making some taller moabs, got 2 of them mounted tonight, will get the other 2 done before the comp next weekend(need more beadlock screws). They came out to 5 3/4" tall mounted, with the weight of the tuber on them they should be about 5 1/2" tall, definately more clearance for the wide WK axles then regular 2.2 moabs.

The main reason I wanted to try this is get more clearance because of the width of the WK axles, and I think it'll work. Also working on clearancing the link/shock mounts on my axles, I've done the front need to do the rear now, once the rear is done there is nothing to get hung up on under my tuber.

I can't wait to see how things turn out, I'm hoping it isn't going to affect my COG too much but I've got a droop setup and it doesn't sit very high as it is, and I can always adjust the shock mounts to makke it sit a little lower.
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

The Wk axles and tranny will hold up fine with bigger tires on it. I was running some Maximizer X-75 bead locks with some modded Maxx size rock claws and loved it but I am trying to get it ready for comp specs. And the truck is only 12.5. The xtra ground clearance is nice but you will have to sacrifice COG and probably want to lower your chassis to compensate. This was the beginning of my WK build.

newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
Moderator Rule Breaker

I pick up a set of jordans, as the rock claws were to short. It was night and day difference the extra height really helped.

eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #12

Default thinking about running dual motors

anyone have any feed back on running dual motors
Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #13

Well I am going to run dual motors, I need just a little bit more power to run big tires
Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
MSB
Quarry Creeper

on my first WK I run maxx sized mashers with no trouble. On my other, I originally ran jumbo maxx swamp dawgs with the stock trans and 32p gearing, then bought some LSTs super cheap and the gearings just wasn't low enough. So... I used the stock trans as a t-case and put a stampede trans up front. Now it has a lot of versatility for gearing and can be set up for low speed or high speed stuff.
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB View Post
on my first WK I run maxx sized mashers with no trouble. On my other, I originally ran jumbo maxx swamp dawgs with the stock trans and 32p gearing, then bought some LSTs super cheap and the gearings just wasn't low enough. So... I used the stock trans as a t-case and put a stampede trans up front. Now it has a lot of versatility for gearing and can be set up for low speed or high speed stuff.

did u have any problems with flexing and the tires hitting the shocks or chassis?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRider View Post
anyone have any feed back on running dual motors
Just run an Integy 35t, plenty of power and wheel speed. I am running one in my puller.
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
MSB
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetpunk View Post
did u have any problems with flexing and the tires hitting the shocks or chassis?

i'm running a K2 L and a K2 S on both of them, and neither have any issues with rubbing the shocks/chassis.... just make sure you have enough offset on your wheels and you'll be fine
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB View Post
i'm running a K2 L and a K2 S on both of them, and neither have any issues with rubbing the shocks/chassis.... just make sure you have enough offset on your wheels and you'll be fine

alright thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #19

Hey everyone I love the rigs, I could not find the right wheel to fit my WK without the tires rubbing, so i made the spacers from the parts i got at lowes, you can see a video of my WK on youtube here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnDlrD5UmyY let me kow what you think, also this vid is pre dual motors, which is one of the best things I did to my WK so much more power when needed.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:31 AM   #20

So how do you go about fitting larger tyres? All the 40 series and maxx rims have larger hexes. Do i just fit a larger hub adapter?
I've got the proline moab 2.2's on at the moment, and would like to try the moab XL's but don't know what rims to fit them to. The proline bead-loks say they are 23mm hubs? How do you make that fit a 12mm hub adapter!
kiwirc is offline   Reply With Quote