Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Hot Rod King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Cool Hot Rod King

This is my first ever RC truck. And I love WK!

That being said, here is a list of mods I did to her. First are the stainless steel links. It's the same idea as the Al tubes but much stronger. I work at a gas company and I have tons of these tubes.

Then the drive shafts, stainless too. The 1/2 tubes goes on top of smaller half of the shaft fixed by a screw. Then the 3/8 tube with saw cut slots goes into the bigger half of the stock shaft.

I bashed the truck with streched WB and bent the shocks. So I decided to relocated the shock mounts. They are made from Al window frames.

The skip plate, made from Al window frame too.

My servo saver's ring is broken so I made one out of a nuts. It shall never break again.

I use an integy 85T pro lathe with stock gearing. It has tons of run time and torque. But it's very slow and it would be much better if I used a faster motor and higher gear ratio.

Locked rear differential with steel putty (ones used in offical thread). Front is Limited Slip Differential using the "plumber's putty" from home depot (check it out). It feels like playdo but it never dries. I think it works well, BUT it will sacrifice performance.

All others things are pretty much stock. Sealed electronics and battery. Here is how much it flexs.

Questions are welcomed. I will not made big changes on the truck anymore. Mainly because I want to keep it "monster truck looking". I will probably buy a new WK roller and start a dual motor dual battery bashing crawler. Of coruse if I make more changes on this truck, I will post new pics.
jayliu1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #2

Nice work i like how you mounted the shocks on the stock chassi ! keep up the good work
daemoncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

It's always nice to see how a new guy will come up with totally out of the box ideas
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

if you want a faster motor i'll trade you for my 45t integy but nice truck i like how you stayed true to the wheely king setup even after stretching the wheelbase ,you dont see that alot , nice rig
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
It's always nice to see how a new guy will come up with totally out of the box ideas
X2....... Nice work
TONKA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
if you want a faster motor i'll trade you for my 45t integy but nice truck i like how you stayed true to the wheely king setup even after stretching the wheelbase ,you dont see that alot , nice rig
Thx buddy, but I don't think the motor is worth the postage ( I live in Canada).
Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

yea just an idea the 45 t is a nice fast motor that still has torque though so if you want the wheelspeed a lower turn motor is best but dont go too low or youll sacrifice torque you might actually want to look into the warrior 35t from www.jpcustomrcs.com
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Excellent work mate! Looks brillinat! Those shock mounts look great, I might have to borrow the idea if that ok...
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks nice but with stock gearing a 55 and maybe a 45 turn motor would be perfect for bashing and a little crawling.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon170 View Post
Excellent work mate! Looks brillinat! Those shock mounts look great, I might have to borrow the idea if that ok...
Sure! I am always glad some1 like the idea. This setup isn't much of a crawler. But it is built from scrapes I could find. I spent under 20 dollars excluding the motor and paint.

Next I am contenplating a new build with twin motor and twin battery. I don't want to buy parts because it limits your imagination, take the fun out of this hobby. I am bit sad to see that this hobby is becoming "the more you spend, the better build you have". I will spend 100 bucks on beadlock wheels because you dont need to reinvent wheels. But I won't buy a steel A-link because I have an idea to make it better. It will be on my next build :-p
Old 03-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayliu1984 View Post
I am bit sad to see that this hobby is becoming "the more you spend, the better build you have".
Thank god. It's a newb that doesn't ask "wut tyres shuld i put on my wk to mak it go betterer" And actually builds stuff.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post
Thank god. It's a newb that doesn't ask "wut tyres shuld i put on my wk to mak it go betterer" And actually builds stuff.
LOL, I take this as a compliment?

Playing RC is long over due for me. I moved from China to Canada 7 years ago. I am in my 3rd Mechanical Electrical engineering and made some money by working COOP. Finally I can start this hobby.

If you search under my name you will see I actually asked what wheels to put on, LOL.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

i like that tubing that is by the bottom of tranny where links are connected..can u make those in different lengths and are the tubes threaded inside?
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

holy hellacious drive shafts batman
monstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayliu1984 View Post
LOL, I take this as a compliment?
Yes, it's nice to see new people building things instead of posting " I just bought the stage two level three extension kit for the WK! I got it from _ _ _ RCRC and it was only $97! I got all eight screws AND the six link tubes!"
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetpunk View Post
i like that tubing that is by the bottom of tranny where links are connected..can u make those in different lengths and are the tubes threaded inside?
Yes you can, it's basically a cut-to-length tube with 4-40 going through it. Two nuts on both side secure it. I use Traxxas rod ends which fits 4-40 very nicely. These stainless tubes are industry spec which has a thick wall (handles 800 psi). It can be threaded with 8-32 directly. That's how I coneected the rear shock mount that you can see in 1 pic.

I also have some 1/8 pipe part that can secure on to the ends of the 1/4 tubes and centers the 4-40 thread. It will be costly to copy this setup.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Wow, great build. Nice to see someone using their imagination instead of their Visa or Master Card.

Is there a source for the tubing that is available to the public?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

For those who are into the stainless steel links.

Here is the tubing sourcing:

Swagelok: SS-T4-S-035-2MJK (the tube)

Swagelok: SS-204-1 (called "Ferrule", put on ends of the tube which centers the thread)

I don't think it is worth it if you don't work with them. They are expensive and you can't get them less than 2m. And also they are VERY tough, difficult to shape if you dont have the right tool. I have them in abundance. I am actually thinking of building a chassis out of these tubes