Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Locker = Dust.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Locker = Dust.

JB Weld = Sucky. 4 months of abuse and the thing let go, crack the chunk open and powder falls out. Apparently JB Weld doesnt bond to aluminum that well.

Last edited by EHeye; 04-15-2008 at 03:32 PM.
EHeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looks like its time to drop the RCGuy a line to order some diff locks:

http://www.rcguy.com/index.php?main_...products_id=26

They're not too far away - just over in Victoria.

I've been using the diff locks for close to a year now with no issues whatsoever!!
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Had the same thing happen to my JB locker. I don't know if I didn't get enough in there or what but it didn't take long to make it an open diff again. I bought the lockers off of TCS and haven't had a problem since.
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #4

this is what i got:

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...n=STRSTA30440S

works great. no reason to buy jb weld when these only cost 10 bucks.
dakcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I went and got 2 Axial lockers. 10.99 a piece Put the front one in, now I just need to put the rear one in.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

My JB weld has beein holding up for a while now. I guess you suckers just don't know how to "weld" haha.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

did you use the puddy stuff or the liquid JB?? I find the puddy stuff is hard to mix properly. If it's not mixed perfectly, it will degrade over time, but I've been running the puddy type with no problems so far (9+ months).
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

It was the 2 tubes stuff, black and a red one. It held great for the abuse that it took, but it totally makes sense why it let go. This stuff doesnt fuse to aluminum, I could chip it all off inbetween the teeth of the spider gears. But it sure stuck to the middle shaft.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

you guys need to learn how to do it properly. I have jbed diffs in my tlt, wheely king, and clod and have never had any problems with any of them. you need to have more than just jb between the gears for it to be permanent. I fill the whole diff with it . I basiclly make the diff into a spool. The only part you don't want jb in is the holes that the axle shafts go in. If you do it like that you will never have a problem, and you get a little extra weight down low were you want it.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHeye View Post
It was the 2 tubes stuff, black and a red one. It held great for the abuse that it took, but it totally makes sense why it let go. This stuff doesnt fuse to aluminum, I could chip it all off inbetween the teeth of the spider gears. But it sure stuck to the middle shaft.
JB weld will fuse to aluminum just fine. If you have ever had grease on those gears you have to clean then very well. I use electrical contact cleaner but a few Qtips and some alcohol will work too.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Hell I hot glued my diffs so they would act more like detroits. Just fill it...everything...every cranny you can possibly imagine. Also it really helps to soak the gears in brake cleaner etc. Or if money isn't an issue sink 10 bucks into aluminum lockers. Personally even with hot glue I beat the living daylights out of my WK axles with no less then full possible performance.
Dirty Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
you guys need to learn how to do it properly. I have jbed diffs in my tlt, wheely king, and clod and have never had any problems with any of them. you need to have more than just jb between the gears for it to be permanent. I fill the whole diff with it . I basiclly make the diff into a spool. The only part you don't want jb in is the holes that the axle shafts go in. If you do it like that you will never have a problem, and you get a little extra weight down low were you want it.
X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Preperation is 90% of the job. Also use the regular JB Weld as it is stronger than the JB Quick Weld.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

The rcguy ones I have bought were crap, spun out two sets, and the Went to th eones from strc(axial) much better.
badBKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

2 part epoxy with the syringe. best locker ever.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote