Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: making the wheely king crawl better

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default making the wheely king crawl better

what can I do to make my wheely king crawl better. I want to keep the stock chassis on the truck I have locked both front and rear diffs extended the wheelbase to 12.5" and put a sidewinder esc and 55t lathe motor in the truck. i also have proline 2.2 moab tires on it. but is there something else i could do to make it crawl better with the stock chassis? thanks
iceman320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman320 View Post
what can I do to make my wheely king crawl better. I want to keep the stock chassis on the truck I have locked both front and rear diffs extended the wheelbase to 12.5" and put a sidewinder esc and 55t lathe motor in the truck. i also have proline 2.2 moab tires on it. but is there something else i could do to make it crawl better with the stock chassis? thanks

move the battery location to the front axle and lower the ride height, also turning the chassis around will help
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

High clearance links & link mounts
Better tires
Gearing
lower the cog by lowering the body as it sits on the chassis
axle mounted servo
Better turning radius
dig setup
weighted front axle
weighted wheels

I've done all of those things to mine. You can check it out on my website

Last edited by Locked Up; 05-22-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

well I got the better tires down, and I didn't move the battery to the fornt but I added weight to the front of the truck that weighs the same as the battery and i have put weights in teh front and rear tires. but what do you mean be decreased turning radius? and I want to get a dig setup but who has them?
iceman320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

getting the servo over the axle will make a huge difference in steering also a different chassis all together would be your best be the cog on the stock chassis is too high and spending money to get it to crawl better would just be a waste just my 2 cents i wouldnt worry too mich about limiting steering the stock knuckles limit it already imo
frsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman320 View Post
well I got the better tires down, and I didn't move the battery to the fornt but I added weight to the front of the truck that weighs the same as the battery and i have put weights in teh front and rear tires. but what do you mean be decreased turning radius? and I want to get a dig setup but who has them?
You'd be 100% better off moving the battery to the front and junking the excess weight. The idea with having extra weight up front is so that you can climb better and that if you highcenter your rig will lean forward. The extra weight in the tires or on th axle is to lower the COG. Basicly you want your COG as far forward & down as possible while keeping the rig as light as possible.

The turning radius ... I mean make your rig turn in smaller circles so it is more nimble. High angle front shaft & knuckles are what people usually do, or you can trim your stockers like I did. I'm not saying you need to limit it, I'm saying you want to increase the throw of the knuckle without anything binding.

VF is working on a dig unit but until it becomes available you options are to buy a new chassis and an AX10 trans or to make a homebrew one:
http://www.noeither.com/WK/tech/dig.php

Last edited by Locked Up; 05-22-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:29 AM   #7
RCC Addict

trade it in!lol j/k that CG is so important to any crawler. Traction is also your best friend. You wouln't believe the results people have buy just testing out new tires. Its cheap and easy and might save you alot of money in the long wrong. Dont get me wrong theres a lot of other set up ideas you can do that would make the world of difference, without buying things left and right. good luck
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote