Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: The WK based BMVIII SUPER CLASS crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The WK based BMVIII SUPER CLASS crawler

Well Ive been working on this for quite awile, building it in my head and sketches first.

I Heavily modded the axle shafts and housing bearings to accept custom cut Clod axle shafts, installed C's and customized clod knuckles to fit. The Front knuckles are JP battery Knuckles and using 2/3A cells they fit the stock size clod wheels perfectly

I made the STC1 (SUPER TORSION CHASSIS) using 3/8" Poly Propolene and 5/16" piano wire

drive shafts are REVO axle shafts

Tranny is R2D with HD gear set

Mambamax esc

wheels are custom alum with giant tracs

I have not had the chance to install the WK HD cut gears and hope the stock ones hold up for the weekend.

I m using hitec 5995 steering servos and MG945R for the dig.

Robin from Clod racing has sent me one of this dig/steering computers to test out and hoping it arrives in the mail today so I can install it for the weekend. Having 4 wheel steering and DIG on a 3 channel radio shafty will be great.

Here are a few pics:

Last edited by rockwerks; 07-22-2008 at 08:42 PM.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

interesting keep us posted on the axle's holding up. i have driven one of the bmv' based rigs and it was a little bit to much axle wrap. so post pics and keep us informed cause it is interesting.

It looks well planned out and good paint.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
interesting keep us posted on the axle's holding up. i have driven one of the bmv' based rigs and it was a little bit to much axle wrap. so post pics and keep us informed cause it is interesting.

It looks well planned out and good paint.
I have never had any axle wrap with my BMV rigs. I drove one at nationals last year. and it did better than I did. LOL

The way the chassis is laid out is very important and also the size of axle plates etc.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I like the polypro I use it quiet a lot. Lighter than delrin and cuts and shapes well. I like the rig, hope it does well for you.
Not a lot of Wheely King left. HAHA LMAO!!!!
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIA's Dad View Post
I like the polypro I use it quiet a lot. Lighter than delrin and cuts and shapes well. I like the rig, hope it does well for you.
Not a lot of Wheely King left. HAHA LMAO!!!!
True but more it than anything else.........LOL. Well Ive got one battery pack through it and a comp Saturday, The AZ summer shootout.....good chance to see how it works......the Clod racing dig puter showed up also last night too, I am hoping to be able to put it in also.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The rig performed very well, the axles held up to the abuse the torsion BMV3 style chassis performed better than I had hoped but combined with the giant tracs made for poor performance on the first 2 courses. I made small changes to the rig for each run to weight distribution and length. For the final course I put on a set of Moabs on 40 series rims and was able to finish the final course with a decent score. The difference between the GT's and the MOABS was night and day.

Over the next day or 2 I will install the Dig computer and post up the results