Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: wk basher question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default wk basher question?

What do you think the is lowest turn motor I could get without breaking something everytime I drive it?

thanx
parker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I have seen mamba systems in WK's. It has a slipper so you should be fine as long as you don't mash forward and backward.
coolkidjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

you can run pretty much anything... its all about the throttle control
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I run a long wheelbase, chassis reversed Wheely King as my main bashing rig. It's half alu these days, but it's still running the stock tranny and axles/diffs.

I've run a 19T in mine with not problems at all (as long as you have the ESC to handle it - the stock one will NOT). I currently run a 5700kV HPI Flux Warp brushless system in it but I found, with the stock wheels and tyres, it causes the centre slipper to click over a good bit with the brake function on the ESC.

I now run Traxxas Victory 2.8" wheels and tyres on it (the rims are JATO rears, and the tyres are Victory JATO front/rear respectively), along with T-Maxx alu shocks with 50wt oil and it drives like a go kart. I'm pretty surprised by how well it actually does handle!

I started out making this into a crawler but gave up and devoted that to my Axial I got instead, but I've made a really fun truck out of my WK instead
BritCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I ran the Novak XBR 8.5/6 cells in my extended wheelbase (RC4WD) WK and beat it mercilessly all summer. The slipper died and got replaced with alloy trans gears. The stock diffs took a beating more than once, but shimming them tighter helped. As was said already, reverse drops will break something with that much HP but if driven sensibly it should hold up fairly decent. The stock tires are a factor also, they put alot of strain on the driveline. Just my 2 cents...

T.D.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I went a bridge too far putting the brushless on my rig. It bent the front shocks about 4 times so I gave up trying to run it as a fast truck and am going back to a 27T hand wound motor and stock ESC... and some new shocks :P
BritCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've been bashing mine running a goat crawler geared up & having a lot of fun. I may have an extra mamba max soon, was thinking of running that with either a 2-3000kv brushless or a cobalt puller or 35 turn with with my maxamp 11.1v 5000 which normally powers my rustler vxl. Sound good or would it not hold up at all?:grin:
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
RCC Addict

There are alot of variables as to whether it'll hold up or not: gearing, tire size, driving style,number of cells or volts, ect. There are things you can do to make it more bullet proof though. Ring and pinion slippage, and the stock slipper clutch/gear setup usually fail first under high horsepower. I switched to Maxx shafts over stockers, they're pretty sturdy. I also bolted up a Robinson Racing spur, much better than stock. I say run what you want, and upgrade whatever fails, no guts no glory

T.D.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #9

ive never had a problem running the mamba in my wheely king. runs pretty good and never stripped anything.
my96on22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
RCC Addict

If nothing broke, you're not running it hard enough, LOL! I do tend to punish my stuff, though. "Extreme offroading" (bashing) is where it's at!

Have fun!

T.D.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Well, go with a good esc like mamba max or somethign and you can run pretty much anythign
47willysbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote