Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Project Keystone...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project Keystone...

I named it after my preferred beer of choice, except I do keystone light on a regular basis... But "Project Keystone Light" didn't seem right. Anyway, I got this in trade for an MRC, as I wanted to step up to a 2.2. I got it tonight, played around with it a little bit, but the battery was not fully charged, and my dumbass didn't buy an adapter to go from Tamiya to deans, so I had to order one of those, and I won't be able to charge any batteries until I get that here... Anyway, I need to take it out, and see where its weaknesses lie, but ground clearance is a big thing that I am thinking right off the bat... Anyway, on to the pics.. I will be updating this as I progress. I do believe one of the first things on the list is tearing it apart and putting all the parts in a more ground clearance friendly chassis.

Input always appreciated! I am just glad to be back in some kind of crawling.. I wish my dumbass woulda thought to order that adapter up for my charger.. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait a few more days to play...
Scott
po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

For those interested, immediate plans are new tires, and a new body. Then next week I'll throw everything in a new chassis (thinking the banana chassis)... Then I'll have a fairly competitive crawler..
Scott
Old 02-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by po' riggity View Post
For those interested, immediate plans are new tires, and a new body. Then next week I'll throw everything in a new chassis (thinking the banana chassis)... Then I'll have a fairly competitive crawler..
Scott
A new trans also ? I wouldn't bother with wk trans. I just a get a axial trans with some kinda of dig. DNA is working on steel inners for their dig.

I look into cvds for the front and lockout for the rear. New lower and upper link mounts are must. DNA makes a mount the upper and TCS for the lowers

Last edited by eric113; 02-01-2009 at 07:11 PM.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Was thinking about the R2dII trans... any input on that?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by po' riggity View Post
Was thinking about the R2dII trans... any input on that?
I use to run a r2d. It was alright, Need to sit down and figure out the linkage to make sure it works over and over. One thing I didn't like about the r2d is no slipper and wish I had one.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I just ponied up some $$ for a TQ3 radio and reciever... And I think next up is a jeep body, then a banana chassis, once Del Monte starts making them again...
Scott
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just an update... I managed to burn up (literally!) the associated xps micro esc that was on this rig when I got it... I got a rooster crawler through the classifieds here, and its in much better shape, and the battery run time is great! I also got my TQ3 and receiver off ebay, and its working great. I have an early bronco body on the way to me, and it will be painted and stickered, to replace the bug body that is currently on it. After that is new beadlocks/tires for outdoor use, so I can keep these POS beadlocks and tires for indoor use around the house... then its a new chassis, and life SHOULD be good.
Scott
Old 02-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #8
Just jump it!

Is that the stock wk trans? Really nothing wrong with running it unless you want dig, My first driveshaft dig build failed. As for reliable my wk trans is bulletproof, i was breaking more axles than anything. I put the aluminum gears in mine and it has been great.
That thing does look wide , cant wait to see it with the new chassis.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
A new trans also ? I wouldn't bother with wk trans. I just a get a axial trans with some kinda of dig. DNA is working on steel inners for their dig.

I look into cvds for the front and lockout for the rear. New lower and upper link mounts are must. DNA makes a mount the upper and TCS for the lowers
I run a wheely king trans. just to spite guys like you..

Axial driveshafts pop off, so then you go to a stampede and they just break...
I run a clocked motor mount and it works dandy.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Here are some pics of the new body... I took these before I put the Socal RCRC stickers on the rig, but here you go....

The paint scheme will be gloss black on the lower half, and neon green on the upper half...
Scott
Old 03-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #11

Default Updates?

any updates
fordman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #12

I would like to see more.
mattcoolgame is offline   Reply With Quote