Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Ordered Wheely King from Tower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #1

Smile Ordered Wheely King from Tower

Well..I was going to get the Axial ARTR but opted for the WK package from Tower as I didn't want to plunk down 450 for an Axial.. Will not be running comp but will be climbing hills and obstacles and even rocks. I got the Crawler upgrade kit, Integy 45 t motor and a Duratrax 2400 Nmh 6 Cell pack , and a Duratrax Onyx 200 AC/Dc charger from Tower $239.00. Bought a Traxxas TQ3 with receiver and crystal on Ebay for 25 bucks NIB, Hitec 645 Servo for $7.00 and a Traxxas XL5 waterproof ESC NIB 40.00 total cost = $311.00. Should all be here by FRIDAY THE 20 TH...can't wait to get started....

Question : Do I have to completely disassemble the WK to do the Upgrade and should I upgrade to beadlock rims and Axial Tires..or hold off a bit...how is the std wheel setup on the WK...??

Thanks for any advice DYNACRAWLER58
dynacrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #2

Your going to be doing some dis assembly but mostly of links and axles. Plan on devoting about an hour and a half or so depending on your skill level. The stock wheels and tires are ok to start but if its in the budget get some beads and pro-line meats (in my opinion). I went with Pro-line eight shooter beads with Pro-line Chisel tires. If you stick with the stock wheels and tires just move them around so the tread is going backwards so to speak. If you need any help feel free to PM me since I have already done what you are doing.
Pete720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
RCC Addict

X2 on the PM for help. The kit is pretty easy. As for the tires, the stocks flipped backwards work pretty well on almost everything but smooth rock. Like pete said, if it is in you budget get some new meats and wheels. I went with the axial rockster beads and proline hammers. I have since upgraded to a completely custom setup, chassis-links-electronics-and mounts for everything. But all in all the HPI crawler kit is a great way to go for a beginner, eventually you will want to finetune. That's when this site comes in handy.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default Yeah right!

It took me about four hours to install the conversion kit in all honesty. Yeah I read instructions and work carefully - make sure you put the very thin washers in the right place when rebuilding the diffs, after installing the diff lockers. So far you have saved a bunch of money and your rig will be comp ready after phase 2 ;)

When you are ready for the next phase of upgrades to your rig you will be looking at bead locks and upgraded tires, clocking the motor and moving the servo up to the front the axle. Then you can watch the Axial drivers grimace as you blow through the course with your Wheely King
lwarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Spur and Pinion

Oh yeah and be sure to pick up the 96 tooth spur and a 14tooth pinon - makes all the difference. Your also gonna want to lose that esc - you need a crawler specific esc. You can pick up a Losi mini crawler esc for about $20 on eBay. I have two and they work great in the 1/10 scale rigs.

Last edited by lwarc; 02-20-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i am running 15t w/ a 96t and a 55t novak motor. I still dont think it is slow enough and am about to buy the gear reduction case.

I would also like a new esc. Does the losi mini crawler esc give you instant forward and reverse without double tapping and does it have a good drag brake?
HAAS599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

You have just describesd a novac rooster crawler
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAAS599 View Post
i am running 15t w/ a 96t and a 55t novak motor. I still dont think it is slow enough and am about to buy the gear reduction case.

I would also like a new esc. Does the losi mini crawler esc give you instant forward and reverse without double tapping and does it have a good drag brake?
Yes and Yes. I have tried out several rigs running the rooster and I have to say that the only difference I can detect between the losi mini crawler esc and the Rooster is that the Rooster has a little stronger drag brake. I don't run a lot of weight so it makes no difference on my rig.