Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: HPI Crawler King inbred with HPI Championship Bloodline

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HPI Crawler King inbred with HPI Championship Bloodline

The title may be a bit confusing, but here's the projects story.

Started as a stock Crawler King 3 weeks ago.. Since I have joined this site, I have been doing small modifications. First, I relocated the steering servo (which I upgraded) to the front axle. Then I used another spare upgraded servo and made rear steering. This thing has like a 18 inch turning radius! No BS. Then I removed the battery tray (to much weight up too high) and mounted the battery to the axle. Weighted the front wheels with about 2 pounds of fishing lead. Cut out a huge amount of foam from all 4 wheels.

Now for the biggest mod of all. Got bored about 2 hours ago and grabbed my old frame from my Savage X. Turns out that with a few drilled holes here and there and a bit of metal trimming, I created a super stretched, lower profile (but with more ground clearance) Crawler King! This thing flexes like something crazy! Now im mounting up battery and electronics and modifying the driveshaft to rear the axles. This CK now has a 16" wheelbase! (Up from 11.5"). Im not looking to compete or anything, so i dont care about comp wheelbase regs. I bet this thing is gonna climb a little better now! More pics to come..

Oh, and yes, that is a hacked and chopped Savage truck body on there..

savagefromthesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

37 views and no responses? does this mean i did something wrong? im new to the RC thing, so please, any feedback, positive or constructive criticism would be much appreciated..

on my way to get stuff to extend driveshafts right now..
Old 09-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

well ok.... maybe i should have bought a axial huh? ha
Old 09-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Don't say you should have bought an axial, be different. Never had a wheely king, but from what I can tell it takes just as much workt o get them comp worthy as an axial. Nice reuse of what you don't need with the chassis. Not the prettiest design, but looks like it would work alright. You should have seen some of my old chassis If you can get some sort of dig to work, you will be much better off in my opinion, than with rear steer. I had a DX6i but still couldn't get the hang of rear steer. The only thing that worked for me was when it was on a switch, couldn't get my head around two steer sticks

Anyway looks good
Keep us updated
Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Dang dude I thought you were just doing rear steer in your King, not making the worlds first Super class Wheely King!! Aussie was right, its good to be different. I say that as long as it works it doesnt matter what it looks like. Just look in the Maxx section, those are UGLY. Crawling started this way, taking what we had lying around and making a damn crawler out of it. I say it loks good. I also think it wold look awesome with an orange Jeep body on it. hint hint.
Blazefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

haha. budget is really tight right now.. as you can see, because all I have done to my CK was FREE! ha. just scrap parts. But yeah, I would like to have the fresh body on there! I will by this weekend for sure.. you dont need a 3 speed tranny w/reverse for a savage do you??
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Very cool! Way to work with what you've got!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Update: Mounted all electronics. Mounted battery. ghetto 4 linked the front. put savage shocks on front (had to make 'extensions' on the front of the frame to mount the lower links). Used a Traxxas gear combo to reduce the ratio in half. Extended driveshafts with PVC pipe. And with all of this, now my wheelbase is 17 inches. I took it out to the rocks today and it climbs steeper than I could have ever imagined! the only issue i ran into was not enough torque to climb steeper rocks! now i have to actually spend some money and get a better motor and speed control.

btw, my only tool I really have is a pair of tin snips! it sucks!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

here is some comparison pics to show the difference in a stock Crawler King and how mine sits now.

Last edited by savagefromthesprings; 09-11-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yummy! Reeses pieces! Nice ride
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote