Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Yesterdays WK Run

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Yesterdays WK Run

So I did the HPI Crawler Conversion probably 6 months ago...and I just finally ran it yesterday

It was fun. Obviously alot of changes to make...like waterproof electronics...more power...lockers, lol. Eventually the electronics gave out. I think the receiver got too wet. Oh well. The truck suffered from far too much body roll. When it started to get stuck it would torque roll to one side until it wedged the wheel wells onto the tires and wouldn't move :? But I didn't want to cut the body up...

Sooo...the truck is already in pieces again and I'm trying to gather more parts for a different style WK based truck. Bigger, better, and just cooler.

SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Nice pics, awesome to be exact. looks like fun, i really want a wk myself, i have to many ax10,s i want a 4wd basher, &not a clod ive had too many ,thanks for posting.
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks.

I'm thinking about picking up the Axial SCX10 chassis set from Tower and adding my WK Axels to it and a new trans. Something a little more realistic looking y'know. Perhaps switch to some better looking tires. Perhaps Flat Irons.

As for the body I'm pretty much dead set on keeping it Chevrolet. Its just who I am. That makes it a challenge to get the tires decently covered though. I'm thinking of a look loosely based on this:

I'd like to ad some inner fenders to help cut down on the mess getting on the electronics and some fender flares to help cover the tires. I'm thinking of cutting out the wells some and using some sort of weather stripping to make the flares. Home Depot has all different kinds so maybe I can find something that will looking similar to the big rubber flairs on dedicated 4WD rigs.

As for details I'll just play with some various Slash and RPM bumpers until I find a combo I like...and I already have a rack for the bed and even one for the roof If I choose.

-Chris
Old 12-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #4

Very cool pics!

The lockers was the best thing I did for my WK, they were $7.00 for the pair and were wicked easy to install. I have also began custom siping my stock WK tires. I cut the center into triangle shapes and removed every other outside tread lug, that plus running them in reverse direction has helped alot also. I am in the prosses of removing a portion of each oppisite section of tread lug. This is my way of saving money on tires. Its a time consuming, painstaking way but I get to make up my own tread pattern and see how it preforms on different types of terrain. Being a tire technicion this facinates me.

I do like the idea of inner fenders and fender flairs, I'd like to see how that works for you.
wshiwzwhln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks. I took the axels apart today, cleaned them, locked them, and reassembled them. I'm debating on some things currently. I'm trying to keep this as an affordable build, so I may keep running the WK chassis...but its kind of cramped for electronics, etc and is lacking in frame length so I'm on the fence here. But I do know its $60 saved if I keep running the stock chassis. However, I do want to limit the suspension travel some.

But hey, I'm also contemplating selling this rig and trying an AX10 or a CC01. Not really sure what I want right now
Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #6

Who makes the body on your wk? Looks like it would fit mine perfect.
shannigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannigans View Post
Who makes the body on your wk? Looks like it would fit mine perfect.
It is a Proline T/E Maxx Silverado body painted satin black on the outside with Krylon plastic paint.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #8

Good looking truck. I like to paint job.
The_REDRASCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

There is an alternative to a scx-10 chassis. I'm runing a ripper7racing R-49 on my rig. Very well crafted chassis. An X-trail would also work, and is cheaper than both the others.

Here is my R-49 previous revsion (12.4in WB):

Body on:

This is my strech on it. I had to fit a 14" WB body...

With a body on:

Also to help tuck in those tires, you could get some more offset rims. Epic beadlocks worked great for me to bring the tries in. I like your WK man. I'm a chevy fan even if I got a ford.
LSXEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'm definitely up in the air. I think my better judgement is to keep building off of the WK platform since I already have it...makes even more sense being that I'm trying to keep things affordable.

Thanks. I think the truck looks sweet with the satin black on the outside. It is holding up very well, too. I'm going to look at the R49 some more and then debate if I want to sell my mini Revo to fund this truck

LSXEric: I like that Hummer body. I may get one of those (satin black of course!) as an alternative to the Silverado. I too was looking at the Epics, they'll probably be the choice.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #11

I found some mud today!

I was inspired by this post.
wshiwzwhln is offline   Reply With Quote