Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: HPI Reduction Box gear ratio change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up HPI Reduction Box gear ratio change

So for those of you who thought (myself included) that the HPI reduction box was going to be the perfect gear ratio for your WK: here is my improvement that I came up with.
When I first installed the GRU it was cool for the first 15 minutes, I could crawl up anything I had the traction for (including alot of furniture). And as some of you have stated "has the torque to pull down sky-scrapers". But over time I found that I needed a little more speed to get the truck from point A to B. The .02 miles per hour kind of sucked for anything but techinal steep climbs. I was looking for a little more general speed and the ability to add some more wheel speed when I just didnt quite have the traction to make it up and over. So I took my motor plate off and extended the groove that alows for pinion adjustment both upwards and downward. I then re-installed my GRU and 27t motor, and headed down to my local hobby store to find a better pinion/spur gear setup. After a couple of different combos, I went with the stock 90t spur and a 32t pinion. I know, sounds wierd, but it seems perfect for the type of crawling that I do. It has low enough speed/torque to still climb steep stuff with the stock Saturn 27t motor and it has far better top end speed to get around the flat parts of the courses. Best of all, because it still uses the GRU, I still have good roll control. Versus having a low pinion gear that dosent offer the gear reduction against the motor and rolling backwards off every obstacle you release the throttle on.
Hope this helps some of you who had higher hopes with the HPI reduction box.
Anybody have any ideas what my gear ratio is now?? If the box makes it 174:1......then the addition of the 32 tooth pinion should make it like 130:1 ???? Just guessing??
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well let me tell you I am on the same boat you are. I installed the GRU a few days ago with the stock 55T motor. I think that the torque is even too much... the speed on the other side is way too low. I feel that in some ocasions if I had more wheel spin I could go over some obstacles that now I just get stucked. I am planning in changing the motor soon but can't say if just this will solve the problems or if I will have to change the pinion as well.
One thing I wouldn't want to loose is the drag brake that I achieved with the GRU, wich is just amazing, rock solid. I don't use a ESC that has a brake function so I can't rely on that....
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Just jump it!

I have all the wheelspeed and torque i need for crawling with a 35 turn motor.
If you really want torque and wheelspeed look into a holmes handwound and throw that extra weight of the gru in the parts bin.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Well let me tell you I am on the same boat you are. I installed the GRU a few days ago with the stock 55T motor.
That would make your speed 0.0002mph. Definately get a lower turn motor if you are going to use the GRU. I love it, but I could go for some more speed myslef.
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Toyo496 -

Just wanted to verify. You are running the stock 90t spur, and using a 32t pinion. So you have increased wheel speed - excellent. Wasnt sure if I followed part of it though. Does the GRU with the 27t and 32t pinion still prevent the rig from rolling back? How about temps? Im running stock everything with the GRU, and I can run over an hour with no noticeable heat increase.

Thanks

looking forward to more wheel speed
Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

sorry forgot about the temps question....the motor spins up very easily, with no hesitation unlike in the stock form at 23:1 while trying to crawl. I still get really good run times, probably around an hour as well. I have NOT noticed any excessive heat at all and have NEVER experienced the thermal shut down.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Does the GRU with the 32t pinion still prevent the truck from rolling backward?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Sorry I posted and it hasn't shown up yet. (maybe I didnt hit "quick post") ?

So to clarify what I am running: I have a WK with a flipped chassis, HPI crawler kit, locked front and back, 55 weight oil, Traxxas 2075 in stock location, garage built tierod and drag link, stock tires grooved and sipped, stock axles, 3600 venom battery, stock Saturn 27T motor, HPI GRU, stock motor plate modified to have more gear mesh adjustment, stock 48 pitch 90T spur, 48 pitch 32T pinion, stock electronics, stock controller, and one heavily cut body.
After running this GRU and 90T/32T gear combo a bit more this week, I am still very pleased with the increased wheel speed. It almost feels like a new motor swap because with the GRU alone I was full throttle every where ! Where as now I find myself using more throttle control down low and then hammering down when in need of wheel speed. To address the roll control topic a bit more: it is far supierior than the stock 90T/22T setup, although it is not as "ROCK SOLID" as just the GRU it self. From time to time it will roll backwards very slightly, well within my acceptance. I think that the wheel speed increase is well worth the trade off of losing some roll control. I have a 87T that I was thinking about trying with the GRU and 32T combo just for kicks.... How ever keep in mind that the 90T/32T combo does fit under the stock gear cover, a 96T spur will not fit with out cutting the gear case heavily which defeats it's use. I am not sure but I think a 93T would fit under the gear cover...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

alright i have mine gear at 48 pitch 96t spur, 13t pinion and its pretty slow can make some kinda steep obsticales and i just order the GRU,
that comes with a 15t pinion (i'm still very new to this) is this gonna slow me down to much?and if i put the stock spur gear and the 13t pinion and the GRU that may help but what does that make my ratio?

sorry for the super novice question

i have a crawler king rtr and just started to mod it

Last edited by philtSF505; 03-02-2010 at 02:07 PM.
philtSF505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyo496 View Post
Sorry I posted and it hasn't shown up yet. (maybe I didnt hit "quick post") ?
Needed moderator approval, you hit a keyword somewhere.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I was told that there would be no math in this!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well, I tried the 28T pinion, as I did not modify the motor plate (so I cant used the 32T pinion). I really like the speed, but could use a tiny bit more drag brake. Ran for a bit, and motor was not even warm. Definitely a marked improvement over the 21t. Going to give a 26T a whirl and see if I get a bit more brake.

Good thread Toyo!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

philtSF505: I will attempt to answer your question without doing ANY math... LOL

Stock WK gearing: 90T/22T = 23:1 ratio
WK with GRU and 90T/22T = 174:1 ratio
WK with GRU and 96T/13T = Really SLOW !! I would GUESS at 200:1 ratio or more !!

I am sure there is a formula to figure this out, maybe some of the gurus here can helps us out with this trivia.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

hey thanks toyo, it slowed down alot with the gear i put in but...i am looking for more torque too....thinking that the GRU may help but if it slows down to much im gonna have to play with the gearing, i broke a dog bone on sunday just waiting for the replacements and the GRU so we'll see i'll try and post videos. thanks again
Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I broke my first dog bone in the rear on Monday...LOL ! I was doing some urban wheeling in the office parking lot planter boxes and the manager came out and gave me the stink eye, so I picked up my rig and headed over to my chevy pick up. Thinking that I wanted to continue to play I threw my WK in the bed of my chevy and started to crawl on the bedsides and up the tool box, well apparently I still need to learn throttle control because I bound up the rear tire crawling over my goose neck hitch and broke the dog bone ! WHOOPS. So now I am trying to decide wether to go with stainless steal dog bones or an axle lock out kit???

In regards to the GRU, you will definately see a huge increase in torque ! Definately if you still have the stock Saturn 27T motor, which is NOT a torque monster by any means. Your rig will have no problem crawling the front tires straight up a wall, it will not roll back at all and the Saturn 27T motor will very easily power it straight up anything it has the traction for. It was just to slow for my style of crawl-bashing... so hence why I moved up to the 32T pinion on the GRU to gain a little more wheel speed.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well I tried a 23t, 26t, and 28t - now I need to find some rocks!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I have the crawler king, 55t this was my first rig, lookin to pri getone for the wife and kids
Old 03-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Sososo slow gotta work on gearing. I'll go to the hobby shop soon. Tourque is crazy just to slow

Last edited by philtSF505; 03-06-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

You arent running a 55t motor with the GRU are you?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

yep, should i not be? didnt know what it would do so i tried it, lookin to change the gearing.

still very new to this and i'm still learning so if you got any to help i'll take it.