Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Sexy EASY CLEAN Trans Slipper MOD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Sexy EASY CLEAN Trans Slipper MOD

This worked so well I wanted to make its own thread. I do not see how it could get any easier. Part Numbers:
Hpi Blitz Trans Top Shaft (5 x 48 mm) #103375
Hpi Blitz Slipper #103377
Hpi Blitz Spur Gear (88 Tooth) #103373
HPI Z263 (You may not need these but they are good to have)

1st line up the Blitz Top Shaft with the Stock WK/CK Top shaft. What you want to do is drill a hole the same size as the stock one for the Pin for the Gear to set up on. Just center punch the same length from the rear as Stock and put in a Vise and drill the hole. Next take a dremmel and cut a groove in the back end of the shaft for the E-Clip. Lock up the Middle Gear and That's it now just put it together. Dust Cover still fits on correctly. You can even drill out a hole in the Dust Cover so you can make adjustments.

I filed the screws down and the plastic here just for some more clearance.

Here you want to Lock up the Middle Clicker Gear . I just put some shock spacers in there with some JB Weld.

skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

You are the man!! when I get some time gonna make one. Your directions were good, the first step took me a minute to figure out with the pics though. Showing the two top shafts together would have cut down on my confusion, but I never claimed to be smart.
Modean74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

Yeah the top pic shows the Blitz Shaft complete compared to the Stock Shaft, Sorry. I would think this would be a sticky but I think the biggest Spur Gear you can use is a 88 tooth. THANX, Its super easy.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Wow, NICE JOB !! This is super clean install-fab !! So far I like this slipper the best and it uses HPI parts. Is the Blitz spur gear still 48 pitch ?? I would think that maybe a aftermarket company like Robinson may make larger spur gears.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Yeah 48 pitch, I have not found any larger spurs for the Blitz. They have to be Blitz specific cause how the Pads sit. Thanx
Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Do you think that running your slipper with the hpi GRU and the 88t spur would work for crawling? I am trying to make my crawler better. Thanks
Modean74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

A slipper is not the best for just crawling unless you tighted it up all the way. On my old crawlers I would tighted the slipper up all the way then back it out 1/2 turn for some protection. The 88 Tooth Spur is not going to the best for crawling although you could do it. The stock Crawler King is a 90 tooth.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

What size shock spacers were used in locking up the middle clicker - in mm if you could?

Thanks!

BTW: sweet mod and directions
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
What size shock spacers were used in locking up the middle clicker - in mm if you could?

Thanks!

BTW: sweet mod and directions
Man I do not know the MM but it is the next to smallest size. They fit between the layers you could use the larger ones too. I think that Mod is on here somewhere. You could just Use JB Weld in there only. I used both as not to use so much JB Weld. Its Easy as long as the spring cannot compress, use what you got. Do not think too hard on it, Its Easy.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Still holding up nicelyIf you have not done it yet, you need to. Later
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I performed this mod and it has been awesome !! I haven't broken any axles or trans gears since the install !!! And I was breaking front axles almost every crawl session !! Super easy to do !!!

Thanks skullking !!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #12

This a great mod!

Thanks for sharing!
Daddy NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #13

Any tips for cutting the groove? I have access to a Dremel tool but I've never used it for something like that. I'm still waiting for my Blitz shaft in the mail (could be a while since it hasn't shipped yet and 4th of July).
Aionism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:51 AM   #14
I joined the Band!

I just put the shaft in a vise and scribed my line on the shaft and carefully cut around. You just need enough for the e-clip to hold. I would get some steel rod roughly the same size from like lowes or home depot to practice on 1st.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #15

A practice rod sounds like a good idea. I drilled a practice hole in the stock shaft yesterday. It was perfect.
Aionism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking View Post
A slipper is not the best for just crawling unless you tighted it up all the way. On my old crawlers I would tighted the slipper up all the way then back it out 1/2 turn for some protection. The 88 Tooth Spur is not going to the best for crawling although you could do it. The stock Crawler King is a 90 tooth.
a slipper works great for crawling, just takes a little bit of testing to get it set right then you dont break as meany parts and dont get stuck when you are bound up because your slipper is slipping
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #18

Exclamation looks and sounds good

got the stuff on order for this mod, cant wait to try it out the only thing im concerned about is the 88t spur gear that has to be used. currently runnin a 96t gear. is 88 the highest u can go with the mod or can a 96t spur be moded to work with the blitz clutch? has anyone tried this?
crewchief0037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

Yeah the Spur gear size will be a problem. I am not crawling with mine so it is O.K. for me.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I just use the HPI gear reduction unit to get around the fact there are only 88T spurs available.