Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Frankin king

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Smile Frankin king

Finely got around to joining and posting my Wheely King mod . Took about a year and its still not done . I started out with a used kit that had blown diffs from the LHS. After the repair and motor upgrade the fun began.
I wanted a tuber like I've seen on these forums but didn't have the time to learn the skills. So I went the next best route. I bought a chassis from New Era Models . Then came extended drive shafts and new shocks. Tires, wheels and a ton of screws (from Ace Hardware) were applied. Added a Proline lexan body, and I was up and running. Last pieces put on were Aluminum remounts for my servos (front and back).
The frame was then wrapped in heli lights (for nighttime running). The neon lighting was great but needed more. I found a 3racing LED system and added it to the new Proline Sidekick body. Lots of bright light and turn signals now .
The bug really bit when i saw some of you guys using winches. Got lucky at the LHS when I asked about one of these. They had a RC4WD Bulldog brushless winch in stock . It was a bit of a challenge to mount on the chasiss. With the help of some more screws and a bit of Lexan the job was completed. As soon as I got it attached I blew the ESC (wired it backwards ). Got a upgrade for $20 off EBAY. Soldered it together and was winching the total weight of my truck vertically (WOW ).
The whole machine is controlled by an overkill Futaba 4PK. Its the best radio I had ever used. Their was a bit of a learning curve for me. I upgraded from a Futaba Attack Am stick Radio (worlds different). But after a few hours playing with the Radio I got most of it down. The only problem now is remembering all the commands .
I have since gotten some new aluminum axle casings and steel transmission gears (from RC4WD). Just haven't found time to put them on. That will be my next project for the Wheely King.

Attached some pics hope ya enjoy .

On a side note. I had also jammed the gearbox on my winch , when I fried the ESC. Took a chance and bought the 3racing gearbox replacement for their 10th scale brushed winch. It fits great after you remove the brushed motor.

PARTS LIST

HPI WHEELY KING KIT
HPI CRAWLER UPGRADE
HPI82008 SHAFT
HPI ROCK GRABBER TIRES
HPI SPIKE TRUCK WHEELS
HPI 96T SPUR
HPIA710 77-117MM RS4 MT2 REAR SHOCKS
13T PINON
EEMWK055S EAST END MACHINING 4 LINK
INTT8116GUN INTEGY +15MM WHEEL ADAPTERS
INTT8103PURPLE INTEGY STEERING BLOCK
NEW ERA NRC560 CHASSIS
NEW ERA AXLE MOUNT SERVO STEERING
CYCLON PILOT CAR 3 CELL BRUSHLESS ESC
CASTLE CREATIONS SIDEWINDER ESC
CASTLE CREATIONS 10AMP BEC
INTEGY 55T BRUSHED MOTOR
3 CELL LIPO 5000MAH BATTERY
ALIGN COLD LIGHT STRINGS
RCE10320B RACERS EDGE SERVO SAVERS
JRPS821R SPORT SERVO REVERSE
JRPS821 SPORT SERVO
DUBRO RACING 6-32 HVY DUTY BALL LINKS
3RACING LED SYSTEM
PROLINE SIDEKICK BODY
RC4WD BULLDOG BRUSHLESS WINCH
FUTABA 2.4GHZ 4PK RADIO
1 LEGLESS ASTRO BOY TOY
ALCOHOL AND CAFFEINE

SOON TO BE ADDED

RC4WD STEEL TRANSMISSION GEARS
RC4WD ALUMINUM AXLE HOUSINGS

Attached Images

uplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

nice axle housings.... where can I buy it?
Matias del Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

plastic axles look like stock wheely king.. aluminum ones in bottom right i think are RC4wd axle housings he saids...
guywithhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matias del Rio View Post
nice axle housings.... where can I buy it?
Got them from RC4WD. I think they were moving out old stock though. The pair were only $100.00. One was backordered till Febuary. Great housings, well worth the wait.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Talking New pics

Heh guys took some new photos of my King as he sits today. Wanted to share . Over the last year ol' Frankin has survived rather well I think. From falling off mountains. Sinking in a swamp. And being stepped on. No major malfunctions to be had .
The build worked better with a extended drive shaft in the rear. The stretch made for a much better all round trail truck. The King sits 3.3" at center of chassis bottom, 15.5" axle to axle and 12" wheel end to wheel end.
Upgrades from a year ago now list. The steel gears and aluminum axle casings installed. Rear link shock mounts. 80 weight oil front and back. Losi Mini T springs added to rear shocks for twisting reduction. Last a JP 35r/t brushed motor .
Been thinking about installing a Airsoft cannon. Time will tell....

SHAMELESS VANITY PICTURES
Attached Images