Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: wheely king vs crawler king

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

Default wheely king vs crawler king

I am looking for a new 4x4 truck and I like what I see with the Crawler King and Wheely king. I don't plan on doing a lot of rock crawling, more just high speed runs over dirt and climbing the occasional dirt pile. The wheely king's wheel base looks a little short, I think wheelies are annoying... But I am worried about the low gearing in the crawler king, because I like driving faster than typical crawler speeds. Do you all think I would be happy with just a wheely king and extending the wheelbase a little?
fourBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #2

Yes , just go with the wk and extend the links. I love mine!
squad2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

yeah your best bet is the WK and just extend the wheelbase. You will be very happy with it! You might want to look into putting lockers in tho.
losimini760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I believe the crawler king just has a 55 turn motor, same gear box and axle gearing, the ck is more expensive the stock wheely king comes with the mud thrashers which aren't the best for climbing and such, the ck already has the extended wheelbase kit and beadlocks, the wheely king doesn't it's up to you.

Last edited by cr500rider; 05-17-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: tired not makin sense and didn't want to sound like a smart ass
cr500rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500rider View Post
I believe the crawler king just has a 55 turn motor, same gear box and axle gearing with extended links make up your own mind links are more than a new pinion or motor maybe keep it kinda slow or you might accidently pop a wheely
very true..I was thinking he could make his own links(if he has the tools). but the crawler king would be good just get a new pinion or motor. the holmes hobbies puller motor is good for crawling but still bashing! but like cr500rider said its your choice really!
losimini760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thats what I did losi just made my own links I've got three WK's two I bought brand new and took the stock stuff off right away (got a whole pile of stock stuff still brand new) made my own servo mounts and four link plates with the templates on the top of the page and invested in a EEM link holding fixture and a 3mm tap and bit and used solid 1/4" aluminum rod for all the links, the stock wheely king tires aren't much good for crawling so it's a toss up the CK isn't that much more expensive and it's pretty easy to make it faster with a new motor or even just a pinion change I guess it depends on what you are going to use your rig for I don't think they will do both
Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #7

So the CK and WK have the same trans, just different spur/pinion combo and motor? If that is the case I will definitely go with the CK because of the longer wheel base and what I think are cooler wheels. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Just based on what you said, my recommendation would be to get a rtr Axial rock racer. The steering is weak on the King and the axles are near the quality of the axial. Sure you can upgrade but cost for cost the axial is a better value and resale is way better as well.
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

actually thats a prety good idea the rockracer would probably do both better but they are more expensive so
Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The axial would be good but it's your choice. But if you want speed and crawling ability dare I say get a traxxis summit
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

ckrccrawlers.com has the axial rock racer for $219 nowhttp://www.ckrccrawlers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_59&produ cts_id=321
Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #12

Unfortunately the Summit is a bit out of my price range! Plus I really would like to have something with solid axles, I think they are pretty cool. So, I've narrowed it down to the rtr AX10 and the CK. The CK is wider and has a front mount battery which I like over the AX10. The AX10, with the shorter width and battery up top seems a bit unstable. But, the AX10 rock racer is set up better for bashing. Tough choice.

Last edited by fourBy; 05-19-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

The CK is by no means stable just because the bat's up front. A stock rtr AX10 rock racer comes with 2 pinions ones for bashing the other for crawling and is easily as stable as a King. In stock config I would give the edge to the Axial, and hopped up, well Axial will easily shine and with less mods. I only am tell you this because i've had 3 WK's that I modified and all ended up be disappointing compared to my Axials. the plastic axles housing are not as strong on the King and can lead to frustration. I stock configuration they were alot of fun like a 4x4 stampede is how to best explain, but when that thrill is gone and you want to move up youve got something that doesnt mod as easy as an Axial and isnt as durable.
P.S. and will sell used for much less than a Axial should you decide youre not into trucks

Last edited by rocresq; 05-19-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourBy View Post
Unfortunately the Summit is a bit out of my price range! Plus I really would like to have something with solid axles, I think they are pretty cool. So, I've narrowed it down to the rtr AX10 and the CK. The CK is wider and has a front mount battery which I like over the AX10. The AX10, with the shorter width and battery up top seems a bit unstable. But, the AX10 rock racer is set up better for bashing. Tough choice.
Let me tell you it all depends of what you're looking for. The Ck is a great rig and I personaly bought one because of the better scale look. Now for bashing and ocasional rock climbing it does just fine. BUT if you just slightly modify the axial you will have a much more capable crawler than the ck. Now to outlerform the axial with a ck you have to change everything and keep just the CK axles and trans. Also the axial has dozen of aftermarket parts and the wk much less.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Dude I'd get an Axial Rock racer or CK. You'll have tons of fun with CK and I personally think it's a really capable crawler....Yeah so what the battery is mounted high if you switch to a 1300mah 2S lipo battery which only weighs 1/3 of a nimh stick pack. Get some kick ass tires like Pink Rovers or losi comp claws and you'll be grinning ear to ear. I had my crawlerfied WK with pink rovers walk up a hard packed dirt hill at roughly 58 degrees (I'll post pics of this later with a precision digital protractor =)
But the guys here are right....Axial is better suited if you want to grow immensely in this hobby.
CK has it's limits but its very tunable too. You want a speed crawler? Throw in a 35T brushed with 3S Lipo and stock pinion. Either way you'll be happy you bought either one of these.
Evandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #16

i just got a CK and i like it it's an all around good rig does ok on the rocks and is a good deal just water proof it and take it through the mud the one bad thing about the Ck is it doesnt turn worth a flip..lol
Swamp Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #17

I suggest the Crawler King

Daddy NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #18

IMO the axial is alot better in stock and modified form due to better parts selection and a better all around geometry. i had the wheely king and converted it to a crawler king but it just didnt perform well. i ended up making a axial/wheely king comp rig for axle width and better parts. But if your looking for speed and the occasional jumps or hill climbs, then i would say the axial rock racer is DEFINITELY for you.
wk kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I don't know how this turned into a Axial rock racer or ax10 vs. WK/CK King debate when the subject line reads WK vs. CK.

Here is my mediumly tuned WK in video form. Hopefully you can gather from these videos that a WK or CK are great all around rigs. I have three bodies for mine and it only takes a minute to switch depending on your mood that day. In whatever form it is in, I always have fun! I believe they are on special at CKRC for $179??? Don't quote me on that so double check.

Pics in all three forms:
http://forum.rcwinnipeg.ca/crawler-s...king-t1204.htm

Vids:
Jersey Crawler

Crawling in Winnipeg, Canada

HPI Defender Crawling in rapids/trails

Cheers!
Evandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:35 AM   #20

Tower has the CK on sale for 119...

you can't beat that with a stick

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXXKG1**&P=ML