Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: gear ratio suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #1

Default gear ratio suggestion

hey i'm running a wheely king with a venom 50t and it's modded to a trail/crawler rig... and wants to know what you'd suggest as for gear ratio? now i have the stock 90t/19pinion but no bottom torq.
DAN8701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #2

i was thinking of puttin' the 96t spur but which pinion???
Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

what battery pack are u running?
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Remember, the 96T will not fit under the stock gear cover with out grinding alot of it away. If you want to stay under that gear cover I would suggest the 93T gear, it will clear the cover just fine.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyo496 View Post
Remember, the 96T will not fit under the stock gear cover with out grinding alot of it away. If you want to stay under that gear cover I would suggest the 93T gear, it will clear the cover just fine.
I need to correct you my friend. I am running a 96T spur under the cover and it fits just fine. Any bigger and it will rub on the cover. I can post pics of this.

DAN8701: What voltage are you running or how many cells? Because it makes a big difference in speed and torque. I think a 96T is a great investment and then buy a range of pinions. It's great to have options because it only takes a minute to swap the pinions to suit the terrain or your driving style that day.

With the 96T spur I mate anything from 13T to 27T pinion on my Integy 55T motor. Thing is though, I run 3S lipo and even with a 13T pinion I can go pretty fast with stump pulling torque. 27T gets me really going and is meant more for light trails and jumps.

Other factors too is overall how heavy your rig is, how much weight are on your wheels and the size tires you use. Just experiment...that's what makes this hobby fun! And expensive!
Evandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

96T fits...? Hmmm...wow. It definatley hits on my stock gear cover. I will have to look and see if my clip on the bottom of the cover is bent/misaligned in such a way that it makes my 96T rub..... Thanks for the heads up, I have always wanted to run the cover for trail bashing, but never could when I had the 96T on there. I have had a 31T pinion gear under the cover and that Did Not hit.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #7

the only battery i have are 3 of the venom 7.2v 5000mah.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
96T fits...? Hmmm...wow. It definatley hits on my stock gear cover. I will have to look and see if my clip on the bottom of the cover is bent/misaligned in such a way that it makes my 96T rub..... Thanks for the heads up, I have always wanted to run the cover for trail bashing, but never could when I had the 96T on there. I have had a 31T pinion gear under the cover and that Did Not hit.
Yeah I remember it rubbing when I first installed it. Try installing it again.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Toyo man
I just double checked the size of my spur and it definately is HPI #6996 96T and I'm able to fit the cover on with no problems. It is tight however but enough clearance that the cover doesn't rub.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I would have to agree with evandiego on this one, because i've been crawling with him with this set up, and man that thing is bad ass.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
I would have to agree with evandiego on this one, because i've been crawling with him with this set up, and man that thing is bad ass.

Thanks Pedro. You're too funny!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Default Another vote for 13/96

The 96t spur and 13t pinon with a 3 cell lipo. On a 55 turn motor is doin a sweet job in my rig. Only thing I didn't like was the speed. Advanced timing on the motor makes it better. Torque for days at walking speeds. The old saying is true in my experence "volt up gear down". No heat problems and awesome run time with axle destroying muscle! Don't know what your esc is, but if yer looking to play around. You could allways try running your Venoms in series for massive power . This is of course after you reduced your gearing .

Last edited by uplate; 07-12-2010 at 04:48 PM.
uplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplate View Post
The 96t spur and 13t pinon with a 3 cell lipo. On a 55 turn motor is doin a sweet job in my rig. Only thing I didn't like was the speed. Advanced timing on the motor makes it better. Torque for days at walking speeds. The old saying is true in my experence "volt up gear down". No heat problems and awesome run time with axle destroying mucle! Don't know what your esc is, but if yer looking to play around. You could allways try running your Venoms in series for massive power . This is of course after you reduced your gearing .
Yeah my setup right now is 13t/96t on 3 cell lipo. I've got a CC Sidewinder esc and I couldn't be happier! I program it on my laptop so that the throttle curve is relatively flat with a gradual increase and the last 20% is a spike up to full throttle...great for saving my drivetrain in case I grab too much throttle. It has pretty good drag brakes too. Funny how you say axle destroying power...too bad MIP doesn't make bulletproof cvd's for the King anymore.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Just to be a S.A. and not really answer the exact question.

Use a 90t spur, and a 21t pinion, with the HPI Saturn 27t motor. According to HPI, that will give you 23:1.

Add the gear reduction box, and then you get 174:1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote