Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Crawler King or Wheely Kings for Newbie?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Crawler King or Wheely Kings for Newbie?

Considering getting my first RC Car and I'm rather overwhelmed by all the information and options (types of cars/trucks, brushed/brushless, bashing/crawling, etc..) The main goal is to use this with my son who is 3 1/2 right now so he can learn and have fun. he loves everything truck related (I drive a modifed Wrangler and take him offroad) so I was looking to get an RC truck as "our" first vehicle.

In a pefect world, I would like a vehicle to have a good combination of speed and rock climbing ability. I know that its hard to have both in a single vehicle so looking for some advice.

I like both the Crawler King and the Wheely King as possible options. I'm afraid, however, that the CK won't be fast enough for him to enjoy and the WK might be too fast...

Is one of these a better choice for my situation. Please take into account that durability is a big factor with a toddler just under the age of 4!

My brother in law just got a Traxxas Emaxx and that is awesome, however, I am not looking to spend that kind of money on my first RC vehicle.

Also, I've seen brands like Exceed and Redcat all over the internet. Most of my friends that have been using RC cars for a long time have either never heard of those brands or say stay away as they are cheaply made. is that true?

Thanks!
mpkelley20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
D-Wray 4 Prez!

I started with a Wheely King back in the day, and modded it over time to crawl. It's a good combo of speed and some crawling ability.
Good luck and welcome to the wallet draining hobby.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
Good luck and welcome to the wallet draining hobby.
He has one of those allready he owns a Jeep!!

Matt just buy it
OurJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJK View Post
He has one of those allready he owns a Jeep!!

Matt just buy it

TJ...you stalking me? Just trying to figure out which one to get. And buy what? the WK or the CK?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Id go with the Crawler King. Its got most of the changes that you would immediatly want to do to a Wheely King already installed. I also think it would be more stable for the lil one. If your worried about the speed you could always change over to the 27T motor for really cheap. Basically if you get the WK your probably going to end up swapping for a lot of parts that come stock on the CK. Or if your really impressed by the MAXX trucks you could probably find one of those down in the $150 range used. Either way WELCOME!!! Oh and telling the fam. "its for the kids" only lasts so long.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Any idea what the 27T motor will bring the speeds up to the the CK? I'm not looking for MAXX level speeds but some would be nice.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Its the motor that comes stock in the WK. So not blistering fast but still fun. I think the CK has a 55T and the WK has a 27T. With that motor a stock WK will pretty much only pull wheelies. The CK should pop up a lil at the start and then level out and go.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPINKING View Post
Its the motor that comes stock in the WK. So not blistering fast but still fun. I think the CK has a 55T and the WK has a 27T. With that motor a stock WK will pretty much only pull wheelies. The CK should pop up a lil at the start and then level out and go.

My one concern with the wheely king was just that...the wheelies! I don't mind a little pop at the beginning but I want to be able to run it with all of the wheels on the ground at some point!

My brother in law found his EMAXX to be too powerful at top speeds as it kept flipping so he swapped out the gears (or whatever it is) to bring it down to about 20-25mph...which is still super fast!

Considering how cheap the 27T motor is, I think I may lean towards the CK!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkelley20 View Post
TJ...you stalking me?
I sure am!!
OurJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
My one concern with the wheely king was just that...the wheelies! I don't mind a little pop at the beginning but I want to be able to run it with all of the wheels on the ground at some point!

My brother in law found his EMAXX to be too powerful at top speeds as it kept flipping so he swapped out the gears (or whatever it is) to bring it down to about 20-25mph...which is still super fast!

Considering how cheap the 27T motor is, I think I may lean towards the CK!
Even with the CK and the 27T your still not going to be able to grab a lot of throttle on the start without a massive wheely. Kinda wanna ease the power on and then bury it. Probably not going to get 20mph out of it either, but as you upgrade to better electronics it'll get faster.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPINKING View Post
Even with the CK and the 27T your still not going to be able to grab a lot of throttle on the start without a massive wheely. Kinda wanna ease the power on and then bury it. Probably not going to get 20mph out of it either, but as you upgrade to better electronics it'll get faster.
This whole thing will be a huge learning experience for me! I have a feeling, within a month, it won't look like the same truck I bought...kind of like my real Jeep!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
This whole thing will be a huge learning experience for me! I have a feeling, within a month, it won't look like the same truck I bought...kind of like my real Jeep!
Its pretty addicting. This site helps out a lot though. Kinda keeps you from having to do the trial and error stuff. It has saved me a lot of time and money. I have a ton of spare and upgrade parts for the WK so if you ever need anything hit me up. If your more into the scale thing the Axial SCX10 is a really good truck to start with too. It's a lil more expensive but has a lot of the qualities your looking for straight outta the box. Either way you and your son will enjoy the new rig.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Get the CK, and grab a 27t HPI Saturn motor, change the gearing, or even go with a 35t motor.
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Wheely King only goes 12mph stock. So I don't think it's too fast. CK I don't know I dont own one.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote