Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: noob? traxxas xl-5 an titan 12t i crawler king

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Default noob? traxxas xl-5 an titan 12t i crawler king

any problems with the gears in the trans or front end and rear end holding up or will i be breaking stuff stock crawler king .i have a stampede i wanna take the stuff out of it xl5 an titan 12t.. thanks for anyhelp

Last edited by bigbronco89; 02-28-2011 at 12:39 PM.
bigbronco89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I would look up the slipper mod by Skullking and do that before running that combo because you will end up snapping axles and eventually the gears in the tranny. I'd link it but I'm not sure how I think its either on the second or third page of the WK thread. Just search for sexy easy slipper mod by skullking.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I would look up the slipper mod by Skullking and do that before running that combo because you will end up snapping axles and eventually the gears in the tranny. I'd link it but I'm not sure how I think its either on the second or third page of the WK thread. Just search for sexy easy slipper mod by skullking.

AHH i wouldnt of thought of a slipper i will check that out thanks alot dude
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

No problem, its not hard to change axles but its a pain the arse and that slipper mod really works.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

on the XL-5 esc. Not thinking so much on the Titan 12T. Its a fast motor, and a 550. Its has a arnature that is 30% longer, than a 540. In the end, it produces a lot more torque. Im not to sure the WK drivetrain wold be able to survive the Titan, might just shred it. Check and make sure to see if a 550 will fit in the chassis. In addition, you would need to gear low. There is also the option of running the esc in training mode.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #6

I ran it with a 12t from a strike for a while. It held up fine. I did the slipper mod after i broke my first axle, though.
socodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Take out the locker in the front, it will help also. Usually breaks the axles in front first. It will actually drive better without the front locked up too.
stolps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by socodemon View Post
I ran it with a 12t from a strike for a while. It held up fine. I did the slipper mod after i broke my first axle, though.
Motors are probably made by the same company. Well if the slipper does the job, and you dont over gear, sounds like it might work. Hopefully the mileage is good
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #9

Wife put a stop to the swap when she found out how much the brushless setup cost for the pede.. so looks like the xl5 and titan are staying in the pede
so im just gonna try the 27 turn satrun $13.00 motor in the crawler king and maybe take the front locker out... thanks for the help and good info tho everyone.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Sometimes, I make things.

With the larger diameter of the 12t titan motor you will only be able to run large pinions due to clearance issues if your running the stock chassis/tranny setup. I tried stepping down to an 18t on the Novak 55 on my CK and had to file off some of the trans case to get it to fit. Tall geared pinions and the power of the titan will not make for a good crawler and will be hard on your drivetrain. I ran an xl5 in my CK I had set up as a waterproof (I basically treated it like a submarine) and it was a great esc, i plan to put it back on it when I finally put it back together. Just bought my nephew a WK and it has made me really want to put my CK back together.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

You can remove th sleve on the outside of the titan then its the same diameter as a standard 540 motor only longer.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote