Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Need more torque, wobbly wheels and pinion spacing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Need more torque, wobbly wheels and pinion spacing

Took "Junior" out a few days ago when we had a freak October snowstorm. I put its snow chains on and went about playin. Then today i took it in the bush and found some soupy mud to play around in. As soon as it had any resistance it would bog down. I need more torque to keep the wheels spinnin, it made it through the snow and mud OK, but i hit the mud full speed and it slowed to like 1/4 and seemed like it was gunna bog out. In the snow it would go ok until i came up to some deeper snow and then it bogged down. I also tried some hill climbs and it really bogged down as well.

Im gunning the factory pinion (21) and spur (?) gears with a 20T motor i swapped in. I love the speed of the 20T but it has no torque. Im gunna put the stock 27T motor back in and see how it is in general driving. Is there any combo of gears and/or motor i can use to keep a good speed but not have it bog down so much? I know its gunna bog down, as resistance increases, which is fine but it was almost ready to stop. I know ya cant have speed and torque, but whats some ideas? Im gunna place an order from Towerhobbies and ill get a few pinion gears to play with, what are some of the common sizes i should go with? Also, maybe a different motor? I dont do much rock crawlin, more so a trail rig/basher so some speed is needed for jumps and such.

Also, i put on my axial 12mm alm wheel hubs and noticed i had wobbly wheels. I swapped the plastic wheel hubs back on and it did the same thing (i did notice it was wobbly but never paid any attention to it). Seems the wheel itself fits loose over both hubs, i even added a small washer and it was no better. Is this a common issue with the stock HPI wheels?

And lastly i noticed i had a little more play in the axles then id like so i took the rear apart to see if i wasted a pinion, as it was making a lot of noise...clickin and such. Both gears look good, no real wear signs besides the gear mesh. So i shimmed the pinion out a little with a washer i had (forgot to measure thickness). This seemed to help with some of the slop, i didnt hook it back up to the truck yet, im still doing some work. What has everyone shimmed thier pinion(s)? Just a general idea to get me in the ballpark.
optikalillushun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikalillushun View Post
Took "Junior" out a few days ago when we had a freak October snowstorm. I put its snow chains on and went about playin. Then today i took it in the bush and found some soupy mud to play around in. As soon as it had any resistance it would bog down. I need more torque to keep the wheels spinnin, it made it through the snow and mud OK, but i hit the mud full speed and it slowed to like 1/4 and seemed like it was gunna bog out. In the snow it would go ok until i came up to some deeper snow and then it bogged down. I also tried some hill climbs and it really bogged down as well.

Im gunning the factory pinion (21) and spur (?) gears with a 20T motor i swapped in. I love the speed of the 20T but it has no torque. Im gunna put the stock 27T motor back in and see how it is in general driving. Is there any combo of gears and/or motor i can use to keep a good speed but not have it bog down so much? I know its gunna bog down, as resistance increases, which is fine but it was almost ready to stop. I know ya cant have speed and torque, but whats some ideas? Im gunna place an order from Towerhobbies and ill get a few pinion gears to play with, what are some of the common sizes i should go with? Also, maybe a different motor? I dont do much rock crawlin, more so a trail rig/basher so some speed is needed for jumps and such.

Also, i put on my axial 12mm alm wheel hubs and noticed i had wobbly wheels. I swapped the plastic wheel hubs back on and it did the same thing (i did notice it was wobbly but never paid any attention to it). Seems the wheel itself fits loose over both hubs, i even added a small washer and it was no better. Is this a common issue with the stock HPI wheels?

And lastly i noticed i had a little more play in the axles then id like so i took the rear apart to see if i wasted a pinion, as it was making a lot of noise...clickin and such. Both gears look good, no real wear signs besides the gear mesh. So i shimmed the pinion out a little with a washer i had (forgot to measure thickness). This seemed to help with some of the slop, i didnt hook it back up to the truck yet, im still doing some work. What has everyone shimmed thier pinion(s)? Just a general idea to get me in the ballpark.
Get a Traxxas XL-5 ESC, a 9.6V 8 cell hump pack, and a titan 21 turn motor with a 25 tooth pinion... It is wicked fun.
nut_up_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

21 turn or 12 turn titan?
SOMD_BASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Fan of wheelspeed

I run a Velineon vxl brushless combo, ESavage ring/pinions in my WK FOFF. I'd recomend going to the xl5 setup or the vxl, either one. But it sounds like the motor and a weak battery is the big issue. Are you running into any overheating issues?
Also, if you switch to some more narrow/lighter tires it would help tremendously. I narrowed my stock WK tires which cut out alot of weight and has made a tire that'll cut through the mud and what not, works great. Switch back to the 27t, and maybe step down a tooth or so on your pinion. The stock WK spur is a 90t btw.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I already have the XL5 ESC. I also have the 20T (maybe its a 21T) motor. It is fun but a little doggy when loaded down.

I agree that a narrower tire will help, just like on a 1:1 rig. The motor/ESC/batt pack seem to be ok temp wise (motor was around 115-120, esc was 110 and batt was 85). I think im not getting a good charge on my batteries or the motor is just weak. Im gunna switch to the 27T motor and see how it is. then ill get a few pinion gears and try em on each motor.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Fan of wheelspeed

Check these out. I made them out of the stock WK rims and tires.

Doing something like that would definately help with the deep mud and snow. Not to mention they look pretty mean.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Those wheels and tires look sick man.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Those wheels and tires look sick man.
Thank you sir.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

i have been eyeing up the proline swampers, which are narrower by almost half but still the same diameter (maybe a tad taller). all i need to find is some affordable beadlock wheels. I dont trust myself to mod my tires, and frankly i dont have the time to either.

Looks like ill be getting my garage back soon, so this may be put on hold as i need to fix my 1:1s and get em ready for winter. cant ride my WK around
Old 11-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i have been eyeing up the proline swampers, which are narrower by almost half but still the same diameter (maybe a tad taller). all i need to find is some affordable beadlock wheels. I dont trust myself to mod my tires, and frankly i dont have the time to either.

Looks like ill be getting my garage back soon, so this may be put on hold as i need to fix my 1:1s and get em ready for winter. cant ride my WK around
Quote:
I already have the XL5 ESC. I also have the 20T (maybe its a 21T) motor. It is fun but a little doggy when loaded down.

I agree that a narrower tire will help, just like on a 1:1 rig. The motor/ESC/batt pack seem to be ok temp wise (motor was around 115-120, esc was 110 and batt was 85). I think im not getting a good charge on my batteries or the motor is just weak. Im gunna switch to the 27T motor and see how it is. then ill get a few pinion gears and try em on each motor.

If you have the XL-5 and 21 or 20 T motor just get a 8 cell 9.6V and you will be all set...

And the RC4wd 1.9 super swampers are very skinny, look killer too...
nut_up_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

They do look beefy. Where are u mounting ur battery pack? and where did ya get ur shocks? mine drool like a perv at a tittie bar.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I'm using xr10 shocks on mine it lowers I a little but they work awesome and they are threaded so they won't leak.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote