Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Tekin 35t combo + 3s Lipo questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tekin 35t combo + 3s Lipo questions...

Gday, I have spent the whole day reading the boards here about brushed vs brushless and what the WK can handle.

I am steering away from brushless as I want my car to be reliable. I am pretty keen on the Tekin 35t handwound + FXR combo with a 3s lipo battery, just had a few questions about this setup. Everything else in my wheely king is stock but I plan on installing stronger driveshafts and steel transmission gears.

1. Would this motor batt esc setup be faster and more torquey in everyway then the stock setup?

2. Could my wheely king handle it? if not what parts would be the first to break?

3. Are there any other parts that are required to install these components in my wheely king?

4. Is the ESC Waterproof?

Thanks for your advice, heading to the outback next week so want to get it all setup for my trip, cheers.
e32lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tekin 35t combo + 3s Lipo questions...

1 Yes
2 no dogbones,followed by slipper, followed by plastic trans gears.
3 not that I know of
4 I dont know.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

thanks, I just bought the Tekin 35t hand wound. I aslo bought a 5000mah 11.1 v 3s Lipo, this battery would be OK to use yeah?

Also, do I have to upgrade the stock WK receiver or will it be ok with this battery?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The stock reciever will be fine, the esc only sends a limited amount of voltage to it. Sounds like a winning set up. Welcome to broken parts land, heeehee.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

That setup should be pretty tame, that's what I run in my scalers. I'm not sure what a good gear ratio would be with the MT sized tires and 35T, just keep an eye on the motor temp and gear up or down accordingly.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

cheers, good info.

Ive also just bought front and rear hpi steel driveshafts, steel tranny gears, better servos, alloy steering knuckles and hubs and alloy steering linkage + HPI Diff locks.

Are there any other parts such as the pinion gear that I should upgrade to cope with the power?

Also does it make any difference to run better tyres and suspension? If so what setup would be best? What tread of tyre should I be looking for for bashing and crawling?

thanks!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

the stock tires are great for bashing, not good for crawling
A good combo tire would be prolines mashers, same style tread, but a softer compond. Or you could pick up some crawler specific tires and use the stock tires for bashing.

For gearing I run a 15t pinion, 96t spur, mine is more a scalish crawler though.
My suggestion is pick up several pinions and play with the gearing until you are happy with it and your motor is happy.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 09-15-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks, few quick questions on gearing, so the wheely king comes with a 96t spur standard? Is it worth getting a replacement spur or do these rarely break?

Also, I would like to get a pinion for speed and one for torque, what sizes would you recommend? Im still unsure of how the gearing works, is there a good faq on it?

Thirdly, in regards to temperature, how hot is too hot? Is it just if its too hot to ouch than its too hot?

Thanks again
Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by e32lover View Post
Thanks, few quick questions on gearing, so the wheely king comes with a 96t spur standard? Is it worth getting a replacement spur or do these rarely break?

Also, I would like to get a pinion for speed and one for torque, what sizes would you recommend? Im still unsure of how the gearing works, is there a good faq on it?

Thirdly, in regards to temperature, how hot is too hot? Is it just if its too hot to ouch than its too hot?

Thanks again
The standard spur is fine. Maybe pick up a replacement in case you strip one though.
As for pinions, I say start out with a 12t for crawling around. If you want faster then go to higher and higher pinions. But you lose torque and will increase heat.
And as for temp, if you can't hold your finger on it for 5 seconds, it's too hot. Much over 170+ and permanent damage can be done to the motor. If you want exact temps then there are Rc specific temp guns that can be had.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I think 90\20 was stock, good bashing speed, ok crawling. With 48pitch gears the smallest you can go is 14t.pinion and that is only with a 96t spur.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
RCC Addict

96t spur is the largest 48p yes. But with some dremeling you can go smaller like I said to a 12t pinion. When higher voltage comes in you can gear down for control and still get higher top end. works well
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tekin 35t combo + 3s Lipo questions... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin fxr crawler combo 35t REVOSOLDIER Electronics 3 12-13-2010 07:02 PM
help with Tekin FXR 35t combo XxRockStar199xX Axial SCX-10 4 06-29-2010 03:01 PM
need feedback on TEKIN 35T combo? DAN8701 Electronics 10 09-16-2009 11:51 AM