Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Anyone had trouble with the stock radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone had trouble with the stock radio

The stock radio that came with my wk did not work...... my lhs sent it back to hpi. i used an old spare in the meantime. well i just got the new radio in last week. worked fine for a couple days. now it acts up & only wants to work when IT wants to.
I have tried replacing the batteries 3 times (all brand new from the package) - still did not help.
tried a different crystal - did not fix problem.
tried my old spare i used while original was gone - PROBLEM SOLVED....
i thought it might be the esc but it works fine with different radio....
has anyone else had this problem?
TONKA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Have you tried extending the antenna all the way out? Really makes a differance!!!
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If the main battery pack starts to get low, the truck glitches more than you'll see with a fresh pack. It's particularly noticeable with the WK over some of the other trucks we have here though, but we only use the stock radio on the WK.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

My stock radio would not allow the steering to steer enough. Like it wasnt even close to full lock. I tried everything and then swapped over to an ol TQ, what a difference. Cut the turn radius down in half.
lowblueranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had a steering problem on mine too, but I noticed the D/R knob on the top of the controller, it limits the steering in one direction and increses it when you turn it the other direction.
4x4dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIA's Dad View Post
Have you tried extending the antenna all the way out? Really makes a differance!!!
yeah, i always run it with the antenna extended all the way & still no better. it is not so much of a steering or trim issue. the truck basically drives when & wherever it wants, almost as if something or someone else is interfering with it. There is no other people with an r/c around here, at least not runnin at the same times & signals as i am, or there is no radio or antenna towers either....... it just blows my mind that any other radio i use is fine.......

CPE -
I did try another charged pack & still same problem, I even waited until the same pack that was last run through it (when it ran fine) was fully charged & still no luck....

I appreciate the insight from all of ya......

Last edited by TONKA TOY; 04-16-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

[quote=TONKA TOY;673176]yeah, i always run it with the antenna extended all the way & still no better. it is not so much of a steering or trim issue. the truck basically drives when & wherever it wants, almost as if something or someone else is interfering with it.

Mine is doing the same thing:-( but I don't have another control to check it out with.
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Hmmm will have to check mine...didn't run it that much before tearing it all apart. :(
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

[quote=karlos;673198]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONKA TOY View Post
yeah, i always run it with the antenna extended all the way & still no better. it is not so much of a steering or trim issue. the truck basically drives when & wherever it wants, almost as if something or someone else is interfering with it.

Mine is doing the same thing:-( but I don't have another control to check it out with.
-karlos -
try takin it back to yer lhs & they can check it for ya, or use a buddies radio (put yer crystal in it) to check it with....

i took mine back to my lhs earlier & he is sendin it off again.......
Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

did you try swapping out only the crystals? i had some really bad glitching problems with a brand new fm 40 hz radio that i had bought a couple extra receivers for, and i bought some cheap yeah racing crystals for it, i installed them and my rig went all crazy, i swapped only the crystals and everything worked out great, this wasn't on my wk since i still have to receive it, but i thought i share
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I haven't had any problems with the stock radio gear. The only things I've seen is the motor stall when your wheels are jammed on something and everything gets kinda glitchy towards the end of the battery life, I'm sure using the stock motor for crawling 1/2 hour plus isn't a good thing either....the abuse I put this thing through so far I'm surprised it's still running.

Maybe if I fry the esc I can talk the wife into me needing a new mamba setup or something?
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
did you try swapping out only the crystals? i had some really bad glitching problems with a brand new fm 40 hz radio that i had bought a couple extra receivers for, and i bought some cheap yeah racing crystals for it, i installed them and my rig went all crazy, i swapped only the crystals and everything worked out great, this wasn't on my wk since i still have to receive it, but i thought i share
i tried swapping just the crystals in the stock radio & still no good...... if i use the stock crystals in a different radio --- PRESTO --- everything works fine...... i dunno what it could be but, it kinda pi55ed me off......
Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma95 View Post
I haven't had any problems with the stock radio gear. The only things I've seen is the motor stall when your wheels are jammed on something and everything gets kinda glitchy towards the end of the battery life, I'm sure using the stock motor for crawling 1/2 hour plus isn't a good thing either....the abuse I put this thing through so far I'm surprised it's still running.

Maybe if I fry the esc I can talk the wife into me needing a new mamba setup or something?

I hear ya on fryin the esc....... thats about the only way i'll get a new one... ..gotta talk the wife into it.....
Old 04-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

If i use the stock crystals in a different radio --- PRESTO --- everything works fine...... quote]

Mine too, got HPI sending me a new control.
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote