Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Custom Chassis'd WK Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 AM   #261
Rock Crawler

Ok thanks John

I appreciate all your help

Regards
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2008, 02:52 AM   #262
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
Well, welcome to RCC. The chassis was designed around the intentions of having a 12.5" wheelbase. If you use this chassis and the upper wishbone links shown on my site as well, to achieve 12.5", your lower links would be right at around 3 3/4" to 3 7/8" (95mm to 98.5mm) depending on how you have your axle mounts positioned.

Sure you can self fabricate it...it's not an over elaborate design and is easy enough to do with simple tools. When I fabricated the prototype of this chassis, it was out of acetal plastic, and was done with a jigsaw, drill press, a dremel, and some files.

Those link lengths - is that eye to eye?
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #263
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
Those link lengths - is that eye to eye?
Yes, that's eye to eye.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #264
Rock Stacker

What Baja Shell is that Offroader5?
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #265
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
What Baja Shell is that Offroader5?
Ya know...I'm not sure. I bought it as the complete uncut baja from another member on here. It was even painted like you see it when I got it. It came with a piece that goes inside the cab that looks like a driver (kinda like the Wild Willy)...but I took it out. I originally thought it was a Sand Scorcher body, but after seeing it close-up, it isn't. It's real thick, probably about another half again thicker than a standard lexan body.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #266

This was a great read thank you. I plan on starting my wk build soon At forst i was thinking of trying the manta but now im leaning towards the widow thanks for sharing the templates
Igotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #267
Rock Stacker

offroader5 can you tell me what is the weight of it?
pitass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #268
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitass View Post
offroader5 can you tell me what is the weight of it?
With the 8 cell 1500 pack onboard and dressed as you see it with the alum chassis & wheels...it came in at 5 lbs.-12 oz.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #269
Quarry Creeper

I know this thread is a bit old, but I've printed out the widow template and skid... I have plans to make it out of some cutting boards.. I really have no idea what a good thickness is for cutting board material chassis... I am also wondering if the factory axial bent lowers and uppers will work and allow me a decent WB?
Scott
po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #270
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by po' riggity View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but I've printed out the widow template and skid... I have plans to make it out of some cutting boards.. I really have no idea what a good thickness is for cutting board material chassis... I am also wondering if the factory axial bent lowers and uppers will work and allow me a decent WB?
Scott
I have only ever seen cutting boards that were like 1/2" thick...and to me that would be overkill unless you were scaling the chassis up in size and making it a super Maybe some that have built these out of cutting board can chime in and verify if they found any thinner than 1/2". I have always used 3/16" material...but that was acetal which is more rigid than the HDPE or UHMW plastics that are primarily used for cutting boards.

Not sure on the eye to eye lengths of the stock Axial links, but I can tell you that the links I made for my Widow were only like 98mm long eye to eye to give me a 12.5" WB.

Depending on how you have your link mount clamps on the axle, you could possibly use the Axial links ??

Last edited by Offroader5; 02-09-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #271

hi from the UK.
i'm new to crawling after recently buying a WK with crawler conversion off a mate and getting hooked.
i downloaded your .pdf's for the lp Widow chassis and Mantra chassis and they're great.
i'm gonna build up both to see which i prefer.
minokyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #272
Quarry Creeper

I was playing around and decided to make a chassis from a cutting board I bought from Kmart for like 2 bucks.

I'm not sure of the exact thickness, as I'm at work right now..lol but it seems to be a little less than a half inch. I'm having a friend "supposedly" milling me a chassis from aluminum once i get a design I'm happy with. If the cutting boards are strong and cheap I think its a great idea to test a design out on them, if you like it - create it from aluminum, if not - do another....at 3 bucks you cant go wrong..
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #273

i know this is a way dead topic. but I built the black widow LP and assembled it now i have a problem. the rig folds in halve when i hit the gas. i dont know if its the links of the shocks but i need help
myblack89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #274
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblack89yj View Post
i know this is a way dead topic. but I built the black widow LP and assembled it now i have a problem. the rig folds in halve when i hit the gas. i dont know if its the links of the shocks but i need help

What your experiencing is called Torque Twist. There are quite a few different things you can do to reduce the effect. Just do some searches in the "newbie" and "general crawlers" section

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #275

i mean that the rear axle catches up with the front axle. from what i understand torque twist is lifting a tire under the torque of the driveshaft
Old 03-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #276
Pebble Pounder

your rear axle is swinging under the chassis and yer tires touch? if thats the case.. your link ends need to be re posistioned... if thats not the case.. just ignore my drunk a$$...
guywithhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #277

thats what i been figuring but my wheel base is a 12.5 and that where i want it. could it be my uppers? how can i tell? maybe my shocks? what shocks should i get?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #278
Pebble Pounder

your lowers and uppers should be more or less parrelelelelele.. sp....
if the axle end or the chassis end of the rod ends are mounted too close it will act as a pivot and roll the axle under... hope that makes sence...lol..
guywithhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #279

well where the links are mounted on the chassis i would say there close to parralel. but on the axle side i have a four link mount that i made and i'm still using the original shock/lower link mount for the lowers.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #280
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

This is an awesome tread bro' and thank's for posting it up for all of us to see as well.
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote