Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: WK swapped ends, it's easy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default WK swapped ends, it's easy

The Wheely King has a great battery box, very easy to use and fast too. But, it's on the wrong end, it's on the back end and causes the Wheely King to, well, wheelie. Not good for crawling.

Fortunately the WK chassis is almost the same on both ends. I just removed both axles and swapped them. While they were off the chassis I removed the side screws for the transmission and removed front wedge that holds the steering servo and receiver.

The steering bellcrank, mounted on the side of the transmission, can be mounted on either side, so I moved it to the other side, being careful to move the two bushings it pivots on too.

The front wedge that holds the servo and RX is held in by two screws, so I just turned it upside down and remounted it. Make sure the servo saver is installed correctly to run the bellcrank pushrod in it's new location. The wedge housing now extends downward and limits the travel of the upper link of the 'new' back end, but hey it's the back end, so it'll do for now. The RX was servo taped to the top of the wedge, the RX gets pried off and stuck on the servo body which is now on top of the wedge, so the RX ends up in more or less it's original position.

The pushrod from the bottom of the bell-crank to the steering pivot on the axle was now too short, so I just unscrewed it at both ends some and it became the correct length.

The antenna is now on the wrong end and would come through the body at the base of the windshield. I just positioned it next to the RX and attached it to the side of the chassis with a small zip tie. Because the antenna is now next to the RX there was loose antenna wire between the antenna base and the RX, I just pulled it farther thru the antenna tube so what some wire hangs out the top. In this position the antenna goes through the antenna hole in the body just like it should.

Forgot to mention, swap the motor wires at their plugs to reverse the polarity so that forward on the TX is forward on the WK.

Off to the rocks! Creek beds around San Antonio have water smoothed limestone and some not so smooth, it's our version of Moab slick rock. The WK with no locked diffs and stock wheelbase did just fine today. I've already been running the battery in the front but now it's a lot easier to change. The WK continues to go where it shouldn't be able to and climb things that look unclimbable. I removed all spacers from the springs on the new front end and just left one 1/4" spacer on the right rear. Maybe that helped, maybe not. Anyway the WK is a great car and a great bargain for $194 to the door! Wish I had a Wheely King when I was a kid. Fortunately I remained a kid while I waited 55 years for it to get here.

Life is good!

Edit:

Thanks to TheMerc64 for his thread entitled "WK to Crawler Conversion… Cheap & Simple!".

His thread has pics of how he swapped ends. He kept the servo/RX wedge in it's original position and just modified it. I was too lazy and in too much hurry to do that. After the steering servo is mounted on the axle I'll just put the wedge back in it's original position since it is a structural member.

Last edited by MikeSSS; 05-07-2007 at 09:10 PM.
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Thanks Mike I just posted a couple new pics to that thread.
themerc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That's one of the things I want to do to my WK as soon as I get that new servo/Rx mounting wedge I ordered.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have done mostly the same stuff like the revo rods and flipped the chassis.

I would say it flexes maybe a little more than it did stock but definately crawls better.

I am working on an axle mounted steering servo this week but do you think it will fit when its all the way flexed?

I think it will be very close!
if it does hit I am assuming the only logical thing to do is extend it more till the axle is no longer under the chassis? raising it would only make it more unstable on sidehills right?
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Heres pics of what I did for my flop, I just flipped the Servo/Rx mount as well as moved the linkages over to the other side and lengthened/unthreaded the lower rod.
Body on;

Body off;

I tried to modify a second mount but I need to do more work to make it work like I want it to, plus I'm not sure if it's going to be strong enough

BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote