Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: how is your wk holding up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default how is your wk holding up?

i am looking into getting one of these and was just wondering on what gives up first. i herd the front axles are breaking easly. what is every one doing with there wk. using stock stuff or modding everything.

flip
flip3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

well i dont comp mine cause there is only one club that i found even close to me and they have one event a years that i could attend so i dont no bout comp use but i have beat the hell outtamine and its stretched using traxxas links and drive shafts. i have not had one problem outta mine yet i have never owned any other crawler but these little trucks are worth every penny i think with the right mods they go very well but thats just my .02
four wheel peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip3d View Post
i am looking into getting one of these and was just wondering on what gives up first. i herd the front axles are breaking easly. what is every one doing with there wk. using stock stuff or modding everything.

flip
No problems at all. I did here a weird clicking when mine was in stock form. It was the rear diff. Hpi shimmed the ring gear away from the pinion so it would slip. Just put the shims on the other side and it works great.
Terminator13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

so you think its a good start for a 2.2 comp rig.
flip3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #5

in Rc Car Action July 2007. There was a thing about a rc club and they said that the WK made a good 2.2
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
in Rc Car Action July 2007. There was a thing about a rc club and they said that the WK made a good 2.2

makes a great 2.2
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #7

I absolutely love mine!!....the only problems i had with mine was the stock electronics....but that is mostly my fault. I am running a 3s Lipo and fried the stock ESC...now running a Mamba Max......also replaced the stock radio with one so i can have EPA and throttle atv....... more mods on the way...but so far this little bugger rocks!!......

BoostCrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I love mine too. I have had 0 problems. The stock servo is a little bit weak, so that needs to be upgraded. Other then that I have had no problems and it is a great 2.2 truck
Lumpmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

the w.k. makes a GREAT crawler!

i've had no breakage issues with mine at all, though now that I think about it, the only thing still stock on mine are the axles. however, along the way to getting my truck comp ready, i've run it over and at everything, rolled it, dropped it off edges, etc...not even the stock chasis broke, which quite frankly I find amazing. go for it.
SpyderMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

WK is a great start for a crawler. Some simple mods will get you started, and you just work up from there.

The only thing I retained is the axles, as mine is a purpose built comp truck. The only thing I've broken is one rear inner axle shaft, and that was 100% my fault. I was doing full throttle fwd to rev trying to get the truck to flip back onto it's wheel, and I didn't realize one rear wheel was bound up under a rock. I'm also running 5.5" tall tires.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Pretty good, I have yet to break stuff on it. All I've done to mod it is throw silly putty in the diffs, turn the chassis around, pull the spacers from the shocks, hack the body for clearance, regear it and wheel the piss out of it! It could use a better servo since the silly putty mod, a wheel base stretch and softer tires for some of the concrete chunks I've been trying to climb would be helpful, but I've very happy with the little rig!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
MODERHATER™

We had a stock WK at or last comp, those things are bombproof! We were jumping it off cliffs, jumping/driving it through the fire pit, shooting it with a pellet gun, just plain destroying the thing! It has made my seal of approval.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

doubledub has had his for awhile and running 3 cell lipo and 3500 inrunner brushless and has not killed it yet!
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I have a click starting in my basher WK. It has a Novak 4.5 brushless in it, is that over kill?
thx138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

It only takes about $100 to get it to comp quality. Take a look at mine. Although mine is meant for a scale truck, changing the body can make it comps ready.

Terminator13 is offline   Reply With Quote