Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: ESC getting HOT!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 03:37 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default ESC getting HOT!

I just bought a new wking today, put deans plugs on the second it came out of the box, because I didn't want to wait 6hrs for the included charger and crap battery. This thing is great!

But I noticed the ESC is getting 280f+ when under strain, I assume this isnt good... Is that normal for this truck? I smell somthing that is almost burning...

Using GP3300 raido shack batts and removed the rear brace out of the box, thats all so far, 1st crawler, have a MM5700 pede and warhead nitro MT
Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
MWRCA'er

It's normal, that esc is a really cheap crappy unit. I'd recommend a ESC upgrade right away. Hpi never designed the wheely as a crawler. The esc can't take the slow throttle inputs.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

whats the suggested replacement?

Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

look thru some threads on here and you will find some names of decent ones...LRP, Tekin, Mamba, Novak...you could also go to your LHS and ask for a decent one...i think i started with a duratrax esc...metal heatsink is a good place to start as the jolt(stock) is plastic if i remember correctly. maybe it just looks plasticky...
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:19 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I put some aluminum fins on my stock ESC and used it until my Mamba Max/crawler master came in. The ESC will (fortunately) shut down if it gets too hot. Unfortunately, mine did that a lot before I put the fins on it.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I just mounted a small computer fan just above my ESC to keep it cool:

It runs off a 9 volt termporarily mounted on the front axle. With this running, my ESC only get warms during slow crawling - even in hot temps. Its a cheap, quick fix until you either get a new ESC or run a 55t motor.
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

The problem is that your still running the 27 turn motor. If your going to crawl, buy a crawler motor and the ESC will be fine then.
themerc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by themerc64 View Post
The problem is that your still running the 27 turn motor. If your going to crawl, buy a crawler motor and the ESC will be fine then.
Have you verified this through personal experience? Unless you have, I have to express some skepticism - honestly, the ESC that come with the truck just sucks. But then, what do you expect, getting a pretty tough, pretty trick truck for under $200 with running gear? - oh well. I guess I might just be old. I remember paying $329 for a two channel AM radio...
Old 06-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus View Post
Have you verified this through personal experience? Unless you have, I have to express some skepticism - honestly, the ESC that come with the truck just sucks. But then, what do you expect, getting a pretty tough, pretty trick truck for under $200 with running gear? - oh well. I guess I might just be old. I remember paying $329 for a two channel AM radio...
Yes I am still running the crappy stock ESC on a 55T motor with 12x93 gearing. The ESC has never shut down. Yes there are better ESC's out there, but I will keep running this one until it's dead. A good rule of thumb with electric models is if the ESC and motor are getting hot, it's time to change the gearing. The stock motor and gearing is all wrong for crawling with the WK.

Last edited by themerc64; 06-28-2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: more...
Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Did you have to make any modifications to run that gear setup? And how do you like it?
2Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

It is slow and I like it that way. You can go 96T on the spur, but the gear cover will need to be clearanced inside. I dont run the cover on mine. If more speed is needed you can go up on the pinion, or use a different motor wind.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the quick reply.
2Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 AM   #13
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I am running the stock wk esc with a 55t lathe r2 tranny with a 8 tooth pin. in a 1.9 scaler and the esc works perfectly fine
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:46 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus View Post
Mine hase been just fine for crawling and it is one of the first released. I found it to be a really smooth ESC for a RTR rig. And my brother in law is running one in his clod with dual 55t and 7 cells...
Unless you got a bad unit it will work fine for crawling! Just dont expect to crawl around at a snails pace with no cooling air running the stock motor. My 2cents...
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Yea, I mean, for the record, my stock ESC would shut down before I put fins on it, even with 96/15 gearing. After the fins, I didn't have any problems.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

mine does the same thing, crawl for about 10 min then it shuts down. I put a 35T lathe in it for now and that gives me more time, from what I have read in these threads if you go with a 55T or 65T you will have no more issues with it overheating.
yarddog35 is offline   Reply With Quote