Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: HPI converts a WK to a crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #21

This is GREAT! The wife just bought me a WK to convert to a rock crawler. I'm a noob to all this, so this is going to be very, very helpful.
THANKS!
vinny1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #22

Hey everyone, the calendar for July is up and it's dedicated to this build.

http://www.hpiracing.com/calendar
aboyerhpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the new wallpaper!!!!!!!
CarbonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I looked at this "tutorial" and saw some things that I should've done the first time 'round. I think its great that they show how to create a "stage 1 rock crawler" but they should also point out that the stock ESC and 27t motor are not really suited for crawling - or am I just being anal retentive? In the hot sun of the video, how long would the stock ESC last before shutting down due to heat?
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #25

Nice find, save to to my favs..
just_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
I looked at this "tutorial" and saw some things that I should've done the first time 'round. I think its great that they show how to create a "stage 1 rock crawler" but they should also point out that the stock ESC and 27t motor are not really suited for crawling - or am I just being anal retentive? In the hot sun of the video, how long would the stock ESC last before shutting down due to heat?
Sean,

Stage 1 is just to help people get started. It's basically a stock truck with custom suspension arms. It did surprisingly well in the sun (It was in the upper 90s when we shot the video) but did stop occasionally due to heat. That is something to keep in mind with all R/C crawling in the hot sun.

In stage 2 we'll (That is to say, John will be doing the work and I'll be taking the pictures hehe) will be upgrading the ESC, Motor, servos and a couple other things.

Additionally, there's going to be a stage 3 that will take it further.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Make Stage 4 a Tuber
Cslax06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

I've been a lurker on this site for awhile now and was torn between various machines. As an old school RC person (Tamiya Pajero, Grasshopper, Hornet and others) I have been away from RC for just a bit. I was thinking about the Wheely King, then looked at TXT, F-350,PTI Goliath Crawler, the AX-10 Scorpion...

I now know that the WK will be what I get to jump back into this hobby. What a great write up and way to get people interested in your product. Way to go HPI!

So HPI, do you give teacher discounts? I'm on a tight budget...
Sinagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

You know, I did something similar with the upper links except I cut the "V" off and drilled it to accept Traxxas 116 mm links.

Last edited by lesannatrevor; 06-29-2007 at 10:51 PM.
lesannatrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Concepts View Post
60/40 and stage two is in the works now!!
I can't wait!!!!
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Default Ultimate Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
Our ultimate goal was minimal expense in converting to crawler status. We wanted the most basic and cheapest way. we played with stage 1.2 and stage 1.5 and so on, but we just wanted the basics for now.

Besides, heat - don't forget about yourself in the equations! Always wear a hat and or sunscreen and take water!!! While California is known for the lovely beaches, the desert is not nice! We love the desert, but you have to respect it! We learned while outtings at Dumont with the Baja's - DONT RUN FOR IT!!! Let it burn or blow up before you run and blow up yourself!! Heat +sand + hot weather will kill you!!! hehehehe Crawl safe and we will supply the next round of upgrades... so stack your dead presidents!!! At least we are showing you an affordable way into the scene!
GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #32

I had a question about the parts list. For the balls and rod ends you list part number 86059/85230 x2. It apears that these come in packs of two. 2 packs of 2 would be 4 rod ends and balls but by my count there will be 8 points of connection ( 2 each link x 4 new links). What am I missing? Did you reuse some of the stock WK link ends?
onecolumbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

each pack of rod end has two trees. so one package has four rod ends, and there is 4 balls per package. I hope this helps
Rock Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecolumbyte View Post
I had a question about the parts list. For the balls and rod ends you list part number 86059/85230 x2. It apears that these come in packs of two. 2 packs of 2 would be 4 rod ends and balls but by my count there will be 8 points of connection ( 2 each link x 4 new links). What am I missing? Did you reuse some of the stock WK link ends?
It could be clarified better, but that pack number represents the number of part trees, not component parts. Each tree comes with four rod ends, so buying two packs would give you enough parts to complete 8 rods.

86059 lists the quantity as 4.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86059.html
Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I got the parts recommended on the buy list and the driveline parts 82008 and 82009 do not even come close to fitting on the output shafts on the tranny or the input shafts on the axel?? The instructions say nothing about modiing these parts, other than one needs to be cut shorter.

Please help explain how I get these 82008 and 82009 to fit?

Figured it out. Like using the traxxas shafts. Had to change out the yokes. Use the stock WK yokes. Make the holes for the cross pins on the ball a little larger in the stock yokes. Wish the instructions had explaned that a little better, for us first timers modding a drive shaft.

Neil

Last edited by Neil E; 07-06-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Neil E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #36

Hi All,

Sorry for my poor English but I'm french speaking ;)

I bought a WK today and I want to transform it as a crawler with a max of stock items.

But...

I don't like the idea to shorten the rear shaft as they explain...and the "DIY" low linkage.

Is it possible to replace these two parts by others ? (I just see that you used to put Traxxas part for the Shaft...)

Thank you
coxicoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:05 AM   #37

cheers dude for the write up there isnt any of this sort of thing in new zealand!!! just waiting for my wk to turn up now from the states il just have to keep playing with my drift car at the mo
kiwi trasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Excellent Tut. I am torn between what to build but I think this is going to be what I get first as I am a noob and need to get into crawling the easiest way possible.
scrooloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

just my 2 cents but i sure would like the pics to be expandable or just bigger. its hard to see exactly what he is doing most of the time. you kinda get the idea from the text but it would be helpful to see more in depth pics
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
just my 2 cents but i sure would like the pics to be expandable or just bigger. its hard to see exactly what he is doing most of the time. you kinda get the idea from the text but it would be helpful to see more in depth pics
If you look at the tut on HPI's site the images are clickable and become larger. Not sure if you saw that or not.
scrooloose is offline   Reply With Quote