Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Can Wheely King diffs hold silicone oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Can Wheely King diffs hold silicone oil?

Can wheely king differentials hold silicone oil or will it leak out.

I would like to experiment with some super thick silicone oil. Before I go for the full lock.

The thick oil should allow some diff action (less drive train strain, sharper turning) and at the same time give me some posi action as well.

So far the heaviest silicone oil I could find is 300,000 wt. if anyone knows of a thicker fluid let me know.
_BEN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Don't waist the time just get some lockers.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I experimented with the idea of posi instead of the full lock, and quickly found out that you aren't going anywhere without the locked diff. Just last night I installed the RC Guy wk diff lockers, and what a HUGE difference it made.

Just Lock It.
SpyderMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It is not really worth the try to see if it will hold the oil. You don't even need to buy a locker, yu can just use hot glue or JB weld to lock your diff.
Lumpmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've seen hot glue tried. And FAILED! The ammount of torque placed in the diff is huge (especially when a JRH Hyperion is supplying the juice), and the glue eventually strips out. LOCK EM UP!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMonkee View Post
I've seen hot glue tried. And FAILED! The ammount of torque placed in the diff is huge (especially when a JRH Hyperion is supplying the juice), and the glue eventually strips out. LOCK EM UP!
THE MAN IS RIGHT, Hot melt is at best a temp situation, JB weld will hold forever but if the ring gear goes you must then replace all the parts.

for 15.00 you can lock both axles and never have to worry about it again with the crawler store WK locks
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input.

SpiderMonkee, What weight oil were you running?

For me the oil is just a $6 experiment. Time is not an issue. Neither is the $6.

I still plan on buying the lockers when I pick up a servo mount.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I didn't use oil in the posi experiment. I used some weird silicone putty stuff I found at a local hardware store. Without rubber seals I don't see how you can keep the oil from leaking out. Good luck with your experiment, let us know how it pans out. Might be cool for scale builds, a locked rear and a posi front? Just a thought.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Ben,

The WK diffs do not have o-ring seals where the axles enter the diff like other HPI diffs do. I use 300K in the rear diff of my E-Savage and it acts as if it were locked, but it wont break! With a crawler you are better off being fully locked, but the chance of breaking things is higher. I must disagree with others that say hot glue wont last. I have hot glued many different diffs with good results. The trick is making sure that there is no air space or gaps in the filling of the diff. In other words, it must be completely filled with glue. I use hot glue for two reasons... One it is cheap! and Two it can be removed! Really no need to ever remove it, but it can be. The WK lockers that are available are a pretty good value. I would even spring for a set if I get any more WK axles.
themerc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

No locked no good. You need to lock it yesterday its a whole new truck when you do and you wont look back. Get some Quick Steel at your local auto parts store $5, its a two part putty you mix in your hand, dries like a rock.
Dont waste time with limited slip the truck has a ton of torque and will spin that free wheel no matter what oil you put in it.
yarddog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I say you fill the entire diff with RTV, Room Temperature Vulcanizing silicone and put a drop of oil in there for lubrication and it's a great way to make a LSD if that is what your looking for. It wont leak out for sure.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Before I got the Maximizer lockers (which are very nice, BTW), I used JB Weld. Way back when I had a 4x4 'Pede (here is the tutorial I made), and I found out that if you leave grease in the diff when you lock it with JB Weld, you can still remove the entire locked gear assembly. So I did the same thing with the WK diffs (left the grease in the cup, removed as much as possible from the gears), and sure enough, I was able to take out the locked up gears to be able to install the diff lockers.
MetalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:43 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I remember reading somewhere that someone put silicone ear plugs in the diffs. I think it was on here, maybe they will chime in and give an update...
Maggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
20K Club

This has been tried on every single type of crawler, TLT, CLOD, TXT, TWIN, WK, etc.

There is a reason it is not used. IF you really want to go offroad and do well you need to LOCK it not kind of sort of think about locking it. PERIOD. That is all there is to it.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

themerc64, Thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc8541 View Post
seriously that is why the site is called rc CRAWLER

no lock=no crawl
Sorry if I am not quick to jump on every band wagon I see. :-D
Old 07-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I understand.

So is experimentation.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

the guy wants to experiment so shut up and let him, hes just trying it out. just answer the question he asked. this happens way to much on here, some asks a question that is out of the norm and you guys try to badger him into your way of thinking which just drives them away.

the WK diffs might be able to hold the oil but will most likely need some sort of gasket or seal.

have fun with your experiment.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I have 500,000 wt in my front diff and its not even close to locked. when I get time its coming out and locks going in. 15$ is good for me. The oil is made by kyosho if you want to know.
wkcrawler4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I'm for a report on the diffs? How are they performing? Come on, yer killin me here.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

i have a hpi mt2 (same diff as the wk) and i tryed putting oil in it and it drained out. there are no o-rings.
admiket is offline   Reply With Quote