Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: 4 Wheel Steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #1

Default 4 Wheel Steering

Anyone have a post on this already? I looked for a little but found nothing. Seems fairly easy on the WK, just throw another servo and another complete steering kit just wire it up in reverse. So when the front turns right the rear turns left and visa versa.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
dtmcnamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I dont understand what information you would need lol. You would either need like a y harness and a three channel system or one of punks computers and a three channel. As far as the axles all you would have to do is like add the top link from servo to tie rod. I think I am going with 4ws in my wk. I will probably have both servos on the axles too.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Just my opinion here, but....

You'll be much better of (in the long run) to run your
rear steering independent of the front (i.e. third channel)

There will be times you'll want to turn only the front wheels.

HTH

NooB
noob@this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Noob is right. Definately want control. But if you dont a y harness will work. You just have to decide if you wann crab walk or go in circles go in circles go in circles go in circles go in circles go in circles go in circles
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #5

i may decide to go in circles until i get a new controller and everything else. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before and if there was a writeup or any pictures of this.

THANKS
dtmcnamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I really wanna "test" that servo computer looks awesome.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #7

Default My setup

I just put 4ws on my WK since I was doing a front to rear axle swap. I kept the original servo linkage setup for the new rear, minus the servo saver, and used the template that is stickied here to mount a servo on the new front axle. I currently have the rear mixed with the front so that the thing is drivable (front and rear are locked), but I am going to go to the hobby shop today and see if they have a Spektrum DX6-independent control is going to be a must. After watching the WE Rock guys yesterday in the full scales, you can really see the need for it.
nos4atu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

You don't actually need a DX6 unless you also have a dig on it. A DX3 or modded TQ3 works great too. We Rock is sick!
Lumpmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I agree, independant rear steer is the way to go. You can have WAY more controll if you can choose when to use the rear steer. I have plans for a 3 channel setup on my WK.

Someone makes an on board computer where you can set up a 3 position switch to control the rear steering. in the "off" position, it's just front steer, "mid" is 50% rear steer, and "full" is 100% mix. Pretty awesome if you ask me! If you want proportional control of the rear steer and don't use a stick controller, this is the way to go!
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have rear steer (well I did until I broke a servo gear yesterday so I locked out my rear steer until I fix it) using a Y cable. I also have dig.

I really want independent rear steer and still be able to use dig but I don't like driving with sticks. I've done this using my heli radio and it was really cool, but too much of a handful with sticks. Anyone found a transmitter that fits the bill?
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

If you do 4WS then you wont be able to compete in comps.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #12

Thumbs up

I got the DX6 because I can swap it into my park flyers, the wife is getting testy with all the radios. I put it in, and it is a bit interesting, but I have it programmed so that I can hit one of the switches and mix the front and rear just for bashing around, and take the twin sticks out of the loop. For $199, it's a pretty sweet radio. As far as 4ws and competitions, thats not a goal for me. I manage large construction sites, so I just want a good crawling trail rig for those long afternoons when nothing's going on.
nos4atu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #13

Default 4 wheel steering

I have a DX3. If I put on rear steer won't I only be able to operate it 1 direction?? I got this radio so I could have reverse on my Savage. When you hit the third channel it will only do a complete throw. So seems it would either be turned ONE direction or straight.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
I have a DX3. If I put on rear steer won't I only be able to operate it 1 direction?? I got this radio so I could have reverse on my Savage. When you hit the third channel it will only do a complete throw. So seems it would either be turned ONE direction or straight.
I don't have personal experience with the DX3, but many computer radios with a third channel will let you select two position (like you have currently), three position or fully proportional in the menu. You just need to check the manual for that radio and see if it will let you do that.
S1NN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

You'll find a lot more info on 4WS in the clod section since they run 4WS a lot.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
you can use rear steer with a dx3. you can't with a dx3.0
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #17

well crap... I got the 3.0
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote