Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: 60/40 link lengths?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 60/40 link lengths?

I'm at 53/48 and wanna go steeper, so I was gonna try a 60%/40% link ratio,60 rear40 front. Has anyone set up a WK chassis in this manner? What were the link lengths? I'm not totally bass ackwards and confusing link length with weight distribution am I ????

Please correct me if I'm way off base here! i just want to build!

Last edited by solomon7; 08-18-2007 at 09:34 PM.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon7 View Post
I'm not totally bass ackwards and confusing link length with weight distribution am I ????

Please correct me if I'm way off base here! i just want to build!
Both link length and weight distribution are somewhat related. All other things being equal, changing the link length of a chassis will shift the weight bias of the rig. Which is the point of the 60/40 link setup. With 40% of the length up front and 60% out back, that gives a forward weight bias (more weight shifted over the front wheels). Unfortunately, I don't have a 60/40 link set up, but I think I've figured out the length of the links. Assumming that you are using the stock chassis, and a 12.5" wheelbase you should be good with the following (all measurements are eye to eye):
Front upper: 92mm
Front lower: 97mm
Rear upper: 150mm
Rear lower: 158mm

This should get you pretty darn close. One thing to remeber though is that the front axle will be brought in more under the chassis. You may have clearance issues with the front axle hitting the chassis during articulation, especially if you have an axle mounted servo. Another issus will be driveshaft length. You may be able to use the stock front drive shaft and perhaps the Traxxas #4951 drive shaft set for the rear. There may be other issues you run into as well, but I say GO FOR IT! Document your build and let us know how it turns out.
Dick Furious is offline   Reply With Quote