Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: WK runs faster in Reverse than Forward? HUH?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default WK runs faster in Reverse than Forward? HUH?!

Okay, so today I'm running my WK and I notice that it goes faster in Reverse than it does forwards. Is this a sign I have binding in the drivetrain somewhere or is my ESC jacked up? When I noticed it I had my multiplex 600 motor in it, so I tried the stocker and it does it too! What the heck?

Anybody know what's going on here?

Oh, and for some reason, my truck has a "pulse" when the ESC is on and it's not moving... I keep hearing this faint "beep beep","beep beep","beep beep","beep beep",.

This monster's Alive.... it's ALIVE!!!!!
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I found the stock esc runs faster in one direction than the other too. When I first turned my chassis around, I just flipped the reversing switch on the transmitter to fix the direction. Then I noticed that I no longer had braking (such as it is with that esc) and that it went way faster in reverse.

Take the two motor leads and plug them in to the opposite leads on the esc and flip the reversing switch on the transmitter and you will be good.

As far as the beeping goes, some esc's will make the motor beep if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter. Maybe that is what you hear, otherwise, I dunno!

Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Try turning the throttle trim down a tad on the Rx. It may be what's causing the beeping/pulsing
shierkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The stock ESC on the WK will "beep beep" when the TX is turned off. This darn near drove me nuts one night. I was working on my truck when I heard, what I thought was a watch alarm going off somewhere in the house. After searching everywhere I realized it was coming from my ESC. D'oh!!!

Sean
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
The stock ESC on the WK will "beep beep" when the TX is turned off. This darn near drove me nuts one night. I was working on my truck when I heard, what I thought was a watch alarm going off somewhere in the house. After searching everywhere I realized it was coming from my ESC. D'oh!!!

Sean
That would be interference. You should never shut the Tx off before the car. You get a good bit of interference, and it could take off on you.

That noise you're hearing is the ESC trying to move slightly. When your Tx is on, adjusting the trim will fix that, but I like my trim set so its on the verge moving so I can avoid accidentally getting drag brake, when I let off the throttle.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
That would be interference. You should never shut the Tx off before the car. You get a good bit of interference, and it could take off on you.

That noise you're hearing is the ESC trying to move slightly. When your Tx is on, adjusting the trim will fix that, but I like my trim set so its on the verge moving so I can avoid accidentally getting drag brake, when I let off the throttle.
No, the beeping is from the esc having no signal. I have this too, turn the Tx on and the beeping stops.
coolkidjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Are you still using the stock transmitter? Some transmitters have end point adjustments and expotential adjustments that could cause this condition. I am still using the stock receiver and ESC, but I use a Airtronics MX-A transmitter. I can dial out problems like that and it drives really smoothly too.
themerc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidjf7 View Post
No, the beeping is from the esc having no signal. I have this too, turn the Tx on and the beeping stops.
No what? That's basically what I said, but the reason it beeps is because its getting a small signal from somewhere, or in other words interference, and is trying to move. I also assumed he had the Tx on at some point, I could be wrong, but at any rate my WK needed the trim messed with out of the box, so its a distinct possibility, and worth looking into.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote