Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: My WK build and first crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
goo
Rock Stacker

Default My WK build and first crawler

I was recently introduced to the crawling world and have been absolutely hooked! This website has been like an IV stuck in my arm for a couple months now. I would like to start by thanking all of you out there because there is so much information on this site my head is spinning.

So, what has all this searching resulted in? Well, I started by following HPI's build and it was really cool! But...I couldn't stop . Here is what I have so far (and i've tried to keep the entire build on a small budget).

Chassis - Offroader5's Widow design (1/4" aluminum) - Thanks!!
Stock WK axles (locked with JB)
Stock Tranny (removed spring inside, replaced with spacer)
Stock Electronics
Motor - Integy 55T lathe
Front axle mount (1/8" aluminum) - template provided by Harley0706 - Thanks!!
Clocked motor mount - template provided by Harley0706 - Thanks again!!
Shocks - Traxxas xxl (i think), 100Wt shock oil w/ "clicky pen" inner springs.

I still need to cut another axle mount for the rear and get rid of the flimsy plastic setup for keeping the wheels straight. I would also like to add a winch for pulling the suspension in for steep inclines. A dig setup is in my sight as well. New wheels and tires are much needed also...but, i'm on a budget :-(

So, here is what I have so far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Oh...I still haven't even crawled on actual rocks yet either...just the flower bed bricks and entry way steps lol!

I have to warn you...my metal cutting abilities suck! This is the result of tons of dremel cut off wheels and several tries at the chassis with a jig saw

Sorry the pics are blurry, the camera on my phone doesn't do so well with my shaky hands :(
Attached Images

Last edited by goo; 11-01-2007 at 04:10 PM.
goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Looking good man. I just got the links for my build and should get the chassis and battery box tommorow (building it from the ground up).
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
goo
Rock Stacker

I already have my battery setup done. I just need to make the mount for the rear. I split a 6 cell battery into 3 sections, they will be placed on the axles except for the spot where the steering servo is. Trying to get my COG as low as possible
Old 11-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Good work. I see you know something bout crawling, cause you need the center of gravity as low as possible. but not to low or you will scrape the ground. lol. joke.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #5

Great build!

What body do you have planned?
Coss71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
goo
Rock Stacker

I'm still a bit undecided on the body. For now i'm just going to cut up the stock body. I have thought about the baja bug simply because they would be perfect in case of a roll over and easy recovery . Those new Hearse bodies from HPI look pretty freakin cool too though.

I guess i should start thinking about that. I've spent so much time researching all the dynamics of the build, i kinda forgot about the body lol.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

is your wheel base 12.5? also what kind of shocks are you using. i already have one of the chassis made of cutting board and it climbs like no other. im cutting my new one out of 1/8" diamond plate tomorrow. i also did the tranny mount like you but my chassis still had tons of torque twist. i think it will help alot if i get the right shocks. i really like your setup and you did a good job with the cutting.
juststartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
goo
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the compliment...maybe i'm just a picky SOB.

Last time I checked my WB is right at 12.5, but I might shave the links a tad just to be sure.

The shocks are Traxxas xxl part number 3762A. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...762A&search=Go

I used losi 100wt shock oil to try and reduce torque twist and there are "clicky pen" springs inside, mostly to limit the distance the shock travels. I still haven't really tested it yet, but it does really well around my yard. I have been able to climb the steps on my porch which I couldn't do before I made this chassis.

I will be visiting the socal rc competition this weekend and will let you know how it does.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hey quick question? Where exactly do you get the chassis at (link please and thank you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo View Post
Thanks for the compliment...maybe i'm just a picky SOB.

Last time I checked my WB is right at 12.5, but I might shave the links a tad just to be sure.

The shocks are Traxxas xxl part number 3762A. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...762A&search=Go

I used losi 100wt shock oil to try and reduce torque twist and there are "clicky pen" springs inside, mostly to limit the distance the shock travels. I still haven't really tested it yet, but it does really well around my yard. I have been able to climb the steps on my porch which I couldn't do before I made this chassis.

I will be visiting the socal rc competition this weekend and will let you know how it does.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
goo
Rock Stacker

There is a link to it in this thread:

Custom Chassis'd WK Crawler

I printed the template, glued it on a sheet of 1/4" aluminum and started cutting.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Wow...1/4" aluminum Is that all you had? You won't have to worry about it breaking Might be a tad on the heavy side if you're really worried about the COG. Looks good. Let's see a body on it and some crawling shots...video would be even better
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
goo
Rock Stacker

Yeah, it is pretty damn thick stuff. But i really didn't want to have to worry about cutting another chassis. Time is not a resource i have much of. I figured I'll just make it strong enough (while adding the extra weight :-() to handle a good fall if it happened.

I'll definitely get some more pics and video of it as more work is done.

EDIT: Thanks again Offroader for the template! It's a great design and seems to be quite the hit!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Looks good! The clocked motor mount looks great. Something that I have been toying with doing, just haven't had the time lately.
SalManilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
goo
Rock Stacker

It was pretty easy to do since I had a drill bit big enough to bore out those holes for the tranny. The area where the motor mounts up got pretty sloppy, but it works. Instead of laying the tranny on its side, I rotated it so the motor wasn't on top of the tranny and made that little bracket to hold it in place. It keeps everything nicely tucked inside the chassis
Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

looks good, are you planning to run a brick pack on the front axle?
and what body?
execelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
goo
Rock Stacker

I already split a regular 6-cell stick battery into 3 sections (2 cells each). One will be strapped on the front axle next to the steering servo. The other two will be on the rear axle, one on each side. This way they are as close to the axle as possible and do not sit too high. I still haven't seen how efficient it really is yet though. I'm going to play with different weight distributions and right now i'm starting with keeping an even balance and go from there.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #17
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Gotta love Integy for using PINK for a motor can
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote