Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Need some help - build problems/issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Need some help - build problems/issues.

OK, so I locked up the stampede tranny last night. Used a single 3mm nut under the 2 gears and its locked up. Installed the Integy 55T motor and was going to mount the driveline yokes and thats when I ran into a few problems......

First problem: The spur gear im using (96T) is too big. If I was to mount the half shafts that I'am using, there wouldnt be enough room for it to rotate. The spur gear does not contact the steel yoke however. There is just enough room for it to pass.

Second: The half shafts im using are way too big for the steel yokes i'am using. If you mount them to the pins on the yokes, they will just fall off because they are too wide. There must be a narrower half shaft to use?

Third: The spur gear contacts the motor pinion set screw. Either the spur has to sit out farther OR I would have to dremel the motor shaft to sink the screw even lower.

..So thats my problems im facing ... for now.

a) Is there a smaller diameter half shaft part number to use in place of the #4951? (possibly #1951 that I just found on Tower)
b) Is there a longer transmission output shaft to move the yokes out farther?
c) Is there an alternate part to use in place of the stock spur mounting plate? (unless washer shimming is needed)
d) Would I have to gear down the size of the spur to make the yoke & half shafts rotate without hitting each other?

BTW - I can't take any photos right now because my camera battery is getting a "top off" so I have sufficient battery power for the wedding that I'am about to go to....

I will check back on Sunday to reply to any posts.

parts:

Spur - 96T 48P Kimbrough
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXS466&P=ML

Pinion - RRP 48P 15T
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEX13&P=ML

Steel Yokes - Traxxas #4628x
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVSEARCH=4628x

Half shafts Tmaxx = #4951x
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSP55&P=C

Sorry for the long winded thread post, but I tried to be as descriptive as possible to give you guys enough detailed information to work with.

Thanks to all replies. Now .. off to the wedding !
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Your yokes and half shafts don't work together because those yokes are for pede sized shafts, which are (as you've figured out) smaller than the maxx parts, you can use regular stampede driveshafts with them though, many people run them with no issues in a crawler. With the pinion set screw, simply grind the part that contacts the motor shaft down till it's flush. You can drop both gear sizes and achieve a slightly lower (6.6 to your 6.4 to 1) gear ratio with an 87 tooth spur and 13 tooth pinion (which I will be doing on my WK build). The 87T spur will clear most any yoke that will bolt to a pede trans.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

flip your pinion gear so it goes on threads first and then set screw.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Try this before grinding, Robinson seems to like putting long set screws in their pinions though the last one I bought I ground a mm or two off before it would clear (flipping didn't help in the e-maxx trans)
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I think a 90t spur is the biggest you can use on a pede tranny without interference. I agree with the others about flipping the pinion around. I use RPP pinions and have to install them the same way.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

So...you're saying the spur will come in contact with the set screw on the pinion? If flipping it doesn't work and you resort to grinding...the solution is not to grind down the motor shaft...this makes no sense when you could simply grind down the length of the set screw so it seats further into the pinion.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post
Your yokes and half shafts don't work together because those yokes are for pede sized shafts, which are (as you've figured out) smaller than the maxx parts, you can use regular stampede driveshafts with them though, many people run them with no issues in a crawler. With the pinion set screw, simply grind the part that contacts the motor shaft down till it's flush. You can drop both gear sizes and achieve a slightly lower (6.6 to your 6.4 to 1) gear ratio with an 87 tooth spur and 13 tooth pinion (which I will be doing on my WK build). The 87T spur will clear most any yoke that will bolt to a pede trans.

Yep thats what I figured out happened. So what would be the pede sized half shaft that would work with the yokes? I would like to continue using the yokes and swap to smaller half-shafts.

Hmm, so if 87T/13T are what I would need to clear the shafts, how is it that 96T/15T seems to be the more common combination on builds? hehe.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
So...you're saying the spur will come in contact with the set screw on the pinion? If flipping it doesn't work and you resort to grinding...the solution is not to grind down the motor shaft...this makes no sense when you could simply grind down the length of the set screw so it seats further into the pinion.
Yeah, ummm the teeth on the pinion side of the spur gear, contacts just the tip of the set screw. If the set screw is say 4mm in length then a 3mm would probably clear it.... or as you mentioned, grind down the set screw a little bit.

Also the spur/pinion do not sit 100% flush with one another, hence why it is contacting the set screw.

Now that the wedding is over I will try and get some pics done tonight.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
Hmm, so if 87T/13T are what I would need to clear the shafts, how is it that 96T/15T seems to be the more common combination on builds? hehe.
I am not too sure that people are using the 96t on a pede trans. You may be thinking of all the WK trans builds?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am not too sure that people are using the 96t on a pede trans. You may be thinking of all the WK trans builds?
Hmmmmmm ... Maybe that is what happened....lol.

Im going to take a look again @ the build pics thread and see what trans/spur/pinion combo everyone is running.

Well the smaller pinion / smaller spur would help with my half shaft issue. Now I just need to know if I have to buy a 87T or 90T etc.. and 13T pinion.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Your issue with the yokes could be solved by using RC4WD 5mm to 6mm adapters. That would move the yokes out away from the spur and allow the use of the maxx sized yokes and shafts which I have had far better success with. Good luck
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
Your issue with the yokes could be solved by using RC4WD 5mm to 6mm adapters. That would move the yokes out away from the spur and allow the use of the maxx sized yokes and shafts which I have had far better success with. Good luck
Hmm, so then the steel yokes that I have currently... are basically useless then?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Updating my searching ...

I have been on the Traxxas webpage and noticed they are using #4628 yokes, which should mean the #4628x (steel) yokes would be identical in size. Then I noticed that they are using #1951 half shafts, which to me looks like I just plain ordered the wrong number... woopsies.

I also came across this tranny guide in the TLT section
Tranny Guide

My trans looks identical to the first black one shown in the photo. The second grey one as I know is updated and has what looks like it has a different designed spur. I imagine the grey vs black case is just a colour change and nothing more?

Now what I would like to know is, it even worthwhile to upgrade to that newer designed spur / slipper clutch design? Will the slipper even be worthwhile in a crawler..?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I've got several different spurs at home and also the steel yokes, so I can check to see if the 90t or even a 93t will fit with the steel yokes. I know for a fact that the 87t will fit because you can run an 87t with even Revo shafts.

Quote:
Well the smaller pinion / smaller spur would help with my half shaft issue. Now I just need to know if I have to buy a 87T or 90T etc.. and 13T pinion.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
I've got several different spurs at home and also the steel yokes, so I can check to see if the 90t or even a 93t will fit with the steel yokes. I know for a fact that the 87t will fit because you can run an 87t with even Revo shafts.

Well a 96T Kimbrough (#142) will "just" fit with the steel yokes. But that is without any half shafts installed.

Well, now another issue I ran into is with the axles.

I thought that it was possible to use the #4628x yokes on BOTH the axle shaft side as well as the two shafts that comes off the pede trans. The WK axle shaft is a larger diameter then those #4628x yokes, so they dont fit. The yokes that are leftover from previous build do fit.

So then it leaves me .. is it possible to connect large yokes at axle with small yokes at transmission?

If I have the large maxx shaft at axle and #1951 shafts for transmission, the #1951 might just spin around inside the maxx shaft.... LOL.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Yup, same result here. With the half shaft on the steel yoke, a 96t looks like it would JUST fit barely. A 93t I have fits fine.

Yeah, I believe it's a 5mm output on the WK axles which is what it is on the WK trans. I don't know if there's a way you could use the WK yoke end on the axle and somehow mate it up to the traxxas half shaft??

Quote:
Well a 96T Kimbrough (#142) will "just" fit with the steel yokes. But that is without any half shafts installed.

Well, now another issue I ran into is with the axles.

I thought that it was possible to use the #4628x yokes on BOTH the axle shaft side as well as the two shafts that comes off the pede trans. The WK axle shaft is a larger diameter then those #4628x yokes, so they dont fit. The yokes that are leftover from previous build do fit.

So then it leaves me .. is it possible to connect large yokes at axle with small yokes at transmission?

If I have the large maxx shaft at axle and #1951 shafts for transmission, the #1951 might just spin around inside the maxx shaft.... LOL.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yup, same result here. With the half shaft on the steel yoke, a 96t looks like it would JUST fit barely. A 93t I have fits fine.

Yeah, I believe it's a 5mm output on the WK axles which is what it is on the WK trans. I don't know if there's a way you could use the WK yoke end on the axle and somehow mate it up to the traxxas half shaft??
So a 93T or 90T is what I would be aiming for at least.

6mm output on the WK axles and it was 5mm on the pede trans output shafts. Traxxas #4928x is a 6mm yoke
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVSEARCH=4928x

So if I can use that part number on the axles and marry it with the #1951 half shaft (which fits the steel yoke) then it would work. It would just depend on the diameter of the #4928x vs the #1951.

lol
Old 11-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post

btw - you were right about that. Flipping it around fixed the problem w/ the now known oversized spur gear hitting the screw.

I just figured the main portion of the pinion gear had to go that one way onto the motor shaft for some reason .. LOL!.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=557

That one there...

Now .. if I was to use this instead
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=558

Then I should be able to carry the 5mm over to the axles if I knew of a yoke that fits the Traxxas #1951.

EDIT: I found this post ...

Traxxas 4927X at the tranny
Traxxas 4928X at the axles
Traxxas 4951X for shafts.

So i might just end up going that route and leave the steel yokes alone...

Last edited by Nerve; 11-05-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I decided to not use the steel yokes after all and order the maxx parts that go along w/ the #4951.

Getting back to the spur,... is there any point to ordering in the newer updated designed spur gear?