Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: WK conversion vs. AX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #1

Default WK conversion vs. AX-10

which do you guys think would be a better option? i guess when i look at it, it may be nice to have a 'trail' truck versus a straight crawler (advantage WK) but am wondering if a stretched WK (want to run 2.2, with some resemblance to proper size ratios lift/tires to body etc) in your opinions would be better than buying the AX-10.

i realize that this is the WK forum, so opinions may be biased, but i was looking for pros/cons in you guys' opinions. also, which rig may be better to scavange parts off for the future when i may want to build my own frame etc?

also, maybe differences in price?
adam_mcintyre84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

It all depends on what you want to do. That would be your main reason for buying either one. Keep in mind the price. Wheely king in $200 rtr, but the scorpian is $250 as a kit. Which you'll need a motor, esc, battery, servo and radio system for.
LST022752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_mcintyre84 View Post
which do you guys think would be a better option? i guess when i look at it, it may be nice to have a 'trail' truck versus a straight crawler (advantage WK) but am wondering if a stretched WK (want to run 2.2, with some resemblance to proper size ratios lift/tires to body etc) in your opinions would be better than buying the AX-10....
I'd go with the Scorpion. Before anyone freaks out, I have both and my current project is a WK.

While the WK is RTR and cheaper than the AX10 when you factor in what it needs to run but the "looks" aspect will have to weigh in since you mentioned it. The AX10 with it's beadlocks (Axial Rocksters ) measure 10" wide outer bead to bead. The WK with the exact same wheel package comes in at 11". Just something to keep in mind since most bodies measure 6-8 inches wide. That can fixed by playing with wheels so it wouldn't be a major factor to me. For the "looks" I say point to AX10 because of bodies available and it comes with cool beadlocks ( I happen to really like green ).

Money wise, point to WK unless you've been into RC's for awhile and have experianced quality electronics. HPI's electronics dept. isn't on my Christmas list but I do give them props for keeping the price down.

Capability wise, point to the Axe. No need to stretch it, it already has an adjustable wheelbase to fit the most popular bodies. I feel I need to mention my Scorpion is running the WK springs on the stock shocks so take take that as you will.

Gearing, this one can be a toss up. I think you have to buy a new motor for the WK and the AX10 needs one as well. The WK is geared way to tall but that can be fixed with a 96t spur and a higher wind lathe. Since in my opinion you need a motor either way, the only thing thats different is which wind you buy. Tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_mcintyre84 View Post
... i realize that this is the WK forum, so opinions may be biased, but i was looking for pros/cons in you guys' opinions. also, which rig may be better to scavange parts off for the future when i may want to build my own frame etc?

also, maybe differences in price?
I'm not biased, I hate everyone equally.

I would say the scavenging one goes to the AX10 as well. I don't think I've reused any of the stock WK parts. I definately won't use the hardware. I may use the battery box down the road but thats about it. I'm not even using the trans in my WK build.

Don't get me wrong, the WK is not a bad kit but in my PERSONAL opinion, I prefer the AX10.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

mriswith is right on the money with everything. That being said though, maybe a couple more things to consider. A few months ago I bought a wk after reading the hpi article on here. That's what got me into this crawlin stuff mostly. Then I got the gf a ax10 which she loves driving. Anyway if you don't like building on your rig the ax is the way to go. If you don't mind doing that kind of thing, and it'll mostly be a trailtruck maybe the wk is the way to go. The gears are covered and the entire truck may be a bit more durable, at least mine is the way I built it.
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LST022752 View Post
It all depends on what you want to do. That would be your main reason for buying either one. Keep in mind the price. Wheely king in $200 rtr, but the scorpian is $250 as a kit. Which you'll need a motor, esc, battery, servo and radio system for.
I've never seen the AX-10 at $250... more like between $206-$226.

If you want a capable trail truck, buy the AX-10 and a scale chassis and/or a more scale body. That WK is only decent for the axles.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I've never seen the AX-10 at $250... more like between $206-$226.

If you want a capable trail truck, buy the AX-10 and a scale chassis and/or a more scale body. That WK is only decent for the axles.
yeah ive never seen it 250 but my hls has it for 238
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblazerboy View Post
yeah ive never seen it 250 but my hls has it for 238
Man... Tammies had them on sale for $206 but normal it's $226...and we have no tax
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

and my lhs has 4x4 wk for 228. i got 2wd for 165
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
RCC Addict

If you are going to go the WK axle route, look around for a used one.

I picked mine up for $200 from a local guy. If I went to my LHS and bought the 4x4 version they had, it would have been $260 +tax ($296.00 CDN). This was also about 2 months ago before the canadian dollar started soaring though.

My LHS really isnt up to dropping their prices to match amercian pricing of parts yet... lol. I wish they would. I know the 4x4 WK can be had now for $200 on a Canadian hobby webpage.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=HPI10830

I had the chance to check out the AX10 axles from a friend and the plastic used on the AX10 seems to be of a different material and also seems to be a bit stiffer.

I'm happy with my decision to have a WK axle based crawler, but if I was to ever look into another crawler, I would probably go with the AX10 and dump the chassis and get the TCS X-trail chassis frame to make it a "scaler" sized crawler.

Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

If it was me, I'd go w/ the Wheely king just b/c there's more you can do yourself...The ax10 seems to have most everything done for you, and as a kit it would be more expensive...Also it depends on what you want to make, I prefer trail trucks, and partly crawler which is why the WK would be better for me, but you may prefer being stirctly a crawler
rcdudegermy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I bought the wheely king and ended up scrapping everything except the axles. I almost like the fact that most everything on the wk is junk 'cause it gave me the opportunity to build a chassis and stuff, but honestly, if I had to do it again I would have just bought parts piecemeal, which would have saved me a lot of money. At least the axles are pretty sturdy, albeit wide. Thats my opinion on the WK. As for the ax-10, the stock knuckles are crap, but other than that its a good kit. I wouldn't buy one, just 'cause I want to build it myself, but I won't dissuade anyone else from buying one. I'd say, you should drive an ax-10 and a stretched wheely king and see which one you like better, if you can get the chance.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

You know after reading this I think I might have to call into question my feirce loyalty to the WK..... I mean realistically I have replaced all the electronics, 3/4 of the suspension, wheels and tires....
So all in all I think the AX 10 might be the better way to go.....
Hmmm maybe I'll get that scale chassis for my WK and build up an ax-10 for the comps....
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

bein a local in western colorado, i grew up modifying anything with wheels to perform how i wanted it to. i never had the luxury of buying an already capable machine, so my moto is and probably always will be "built not bought". its a personal preference, i touch every part and make it the way i want it and thats how i like it. thats why i bought the WK. the AX-10 is an amazing machine, very similar to the 1:1 version aka a poison spider complete rig. to each his own!
drilldeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #14
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

It all depends on what you want to use it for.

If you a looking for out of the box fun, a WK is hard to beat. It's assembled, comes with everything you need and with very few modifications can be made a decent trail truck. It's not going to be very competitive at a RCRC comp but if it's your first RC or first 4wd truck you'll enjoy the hell out of it. I haven't had as much fun with anything as I did crawling around the neighborhood just for fun.

To be competitive with a WK, you basicly just need to stretch it, replace the motor, gearing, steering servo, ESC, and throw in a 3 channel radio so you can run a dig setup or tranny..

My WK has started to take on a life of it's own and when all is said & done I'll have enough parts (minus the axles) to have 1 as a complete beater and the other as a mild comp rig. For whatever reason though I seem to be refusing to let go of the plastic WK chassis. Something tells me if I can go compete and beat anyone with that chassis the victory will taste that much better. Really though, my goal is not to win any particular competition, just to finish a course. That WK ESC with no brake brings the suck and not having a dig tranny costs a lot of backup points.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote