Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Tire choices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tire choices?

What would be a good choice that is as close as possible to the stock tires size? I've tried some rock claws since everyone thinks they're the best these days. I don't like their actual size though-almost 1/2" shorter & much narrower, so believe it or not I still like my stockers better (Ive cut em into knobbies & they flex pretty good at least) Usually I'm driving on bowling ball sized landscaping rocks close to home. Without the width & height of the stock tires it just hangs up all the time & wont go anywhere
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I've got the Rock Claws with stock foams on mine and they work great even though mine drags every now and then. I have tried an old set of M2K's on narrowed Traxxas Nitro Sport 5 spoke rims and had good luck with them.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Without the width & height of the stock tires it just hangs up all the time & wont go anywhere
You need to pick better driving lines.

The stock tires are wide for a reason, and rock crawler tires are skinny for a reason. If you want something as wide or wider than stock, look into the IMEX All-T's.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ya the m2ks are nice looking tires & aren't they almost as tall & wide as the stockers?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Imex 2.2's are the closest in height to the stokers you can get. Look at the all terrains.
LST022752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks I"ll check out the imex's. I checked & my wk has about 1/4" less clearance under the diff as my gf's ax10 with the same tires:-(. Crawling & picking lines is great fun but on the other hand rock racing looks like even more fun
Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I run the M2k's in the new compound on my WK rig.. After you streatch the truck and flip the chassis it is really capable....
dig it man!

Go with the Mashers! you wont be sorry. they work well in just about every terrain... Personally I wont run anything Imex on my rig... I tried them out and HATED them....
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Also : Imex Red Rock tall & wide, Axial Rock Lizards about same height than stock Mud Trashers but narrower.
Which wheels do you have ?
Maybe to much positive Offset ?
WK diff is wide... so you may want to narrow it down a bit with negative offset wheels ?
Filibuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

M2k's look like almost as big as the stockers-are they? What didn't you like about the imex's, just didn't grab good enough? crawler king I think I like that body, what kind is it?
Fillibuster I tried the rock claws on 2 different sets of rims I have, 1 set had it as wide as stock tires, the others narrowed it up enough to not look kind of dumb but either way I didn't care for it, just too low to the ground? Guess I'm just used to the taller fatter tires
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
M2k's look like almost as big as the stockers-are they? What didn't you like about the imex's, just didn't grab good enough? crawler king I think I like that body, what kind is it?
Fillibuster I tried the rock claws on 2 different sets of rims I have, 1 set had it as wide as stock tires, the others narrowed it up enough to not look kind of dumb but either way I didn't care for it, just too low to the ground? Guess I'm just used to the taller fatter tires
Yeah Losi Rock Claws are not as tall as the Axial Rock Lizards...
Filibuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
M2k's look like almost as big as the stockers-are they?
I run the m2ks and they are a 1/2 inch shorter than the stock tires. The added traction from the m2ks are worth giving up a 1/2 inch IMO.
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Its actually a discontinued Pro-line Rock Pleaser.. you might find someone with one, but they are getting tough to find... I just didnt care for the lack of squish even without foam in them(for lack of better terms) and their ability to grab the rock..
I am actually running half the width of the stock foam and that is cut into a multi point star pattern.. so they will really grab hold and climb....
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote