Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: SCRC liability insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SCRC liability insurance

Im sure you have all read the thread in the general section. I got a quote from State Farm of $325 a yr for $1m worth of insurance. Basically, when the club holds an event and someone stubs their toe, they can sue the club, which actually means sueing all the members. The question is, how do we pay for it. Im 100% sure we need it but, since we dont normally charge dues, what do we do? Currently we are planning to charge $5 a class for the summer comp series but, that was intended to be used for prizes. I dont want fee's to become as bad as it is in racing...opinions?

FYI, statefarm was the only company I found that would insure us.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Well, we had at one point briefly talked about dues....I guess that we need to re-address this issue. We might also want to address making us a non-profit entity. If membership is 15 active members, then at $20/yr that would cover insurance. We pay $20 to be regular members at RCC....so why not also for SCRC to keep us all financially protected. I know that I have tooooo much to lose to not back a choice to have insurance.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I plan to look into the non-profit status, that will at least allow us to ask for donations easier. I would pay $20 for dues no problem. I with you in that I have to much to loose. If anyone else wants to look into the insurance/non-profit status, PLEASE do, I have my hands full working on other things, and havent been able to put in enough time into this.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

if we are going to talk about having dues, we need to have a benifit for people that pay the dues. I know that Zach said that Hills would be honoring the 10% discount and HTU in Stcharles was honoring it, if we could get more shops to give the discount, maybe get LHR to give the discount for their comps. Then it would be a discount worth paying for. We would just need membership cards which are easy enough.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
I plan to look into the non-profit status, that will at least allow us to ask for donations easier. I would pay $20 for dues no problem. I with you in that I have to much to loose. If anyone else wants to look into the insurance/non-profit status, PLEASE do, I have my hands full working on other things, and havent been able to put in enough time into this.

Here is a link to ILLINOIS LEGAL AID that gives steps and form links for creating a non-profit status for SCRC.

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/inde...contentID=4133

The forms are not horrible, but we (SCRC) need to elect/form a directorship of 3 individuals, and then choose one of those individuals to be the "master". This person would receive our legal notices, as well as file annual state documentation to the state of Illinois.

So I think that we need to pick 3 directors.

ALSO, I have taken an online LIABILITY RELEASE and modified it to fit SCRC. This has been submitted to JETBOAT for review. I am also going to try and speak to a lawyer here at the office for review as well. They are just hard to tie down. I look forward to the future direction of this discussion. I think that immediately, the LIABILITY RELEASE is important and needs to be implemented for the SUMMER COMP SERIES to at least initially limit our personal exposure. The NON-PROFIT status and INSURANCE will have to quickly follow. But we are at teh mercy of time in terms of the FEDERAL forms first...then the STATE forms. (All explained in the link above)
Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I don't want anyone to be offended by this, but I feel that directorship of SCRC should be performed by elected individuals, but considering that participation of SCRC members is limited I'm not sure if a vote is practical.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, was SCRC first discussed between Jeff and Zach? I honestly can't remember how I heard of the first meeting? (sad I know) But I do remember that Jeff and Zach directed the first meeting, and Jeff has obviously taken the main leadership role to this point.

Now with this said, it is my personal opinion that Jeff and Zach should have directorship responsibility, if they so desire, and beyond that I would like to know what everyone else thinks.

And just for the record I would support the idea of having Josh (xirtic) in a directorship role, considering that Josh has contributed time and effort for the advancement of SCRC, (if Josh is interested of course.)
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Since I strayed from the original topic in this thread thought I would mention that I am not opposed to membership fees, dues, entry fees or whatever is determined to be best. Bottom line we must protect ourselves and each other from potential lawsuits and legal issues.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
Since I strayed from the original topic in this thread thought I would mention that I am not opposed to membership fees, dues, entry fees or whatever is determined to be best. Bottom line we must protect ourselves and each other from potential lawsuits and legal issues.

I do not think that you really strayed. Insurance is important....so is protection from lawsuits. That was the topic. The conversation moved and turned along this topic. The need to choose a triad of directors is directly tied to this need as is the need to open the idea of some sort of dues to support the necessary actions to protect the SCRC membership. ROCK ON!!! This topic is making strides in a positive direction.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Zach and I talked about forming a club for at least a yr before we actually posted up anything... It was kind of a joint venture with me taking the lead in getting it off the ground. That being said, elections need to be held for president,VP and secretary. I have been wanting to hold these elections at a meeting but, we never seem to have more than 5-6 members at any 1 meeting. What I would suggest is that we hold a meeting at say 11:30 the day of the next comp. Members can show up early and we can handle business before the event. It would also be good to have input on the course design versus 1 person designing it. (although Im sure everyone loves the tortue I deal out)

I will review the non-for-profit and the liability forms tomorrow (I spent the day at the cliffs riding today). Its a start but, we have to act on the insurance, if not for our own protection, for the ease of getting comp locations. Looking in the posts from other clubs it seems that this is a huge thing that clubs are facing nationwide and we might actually be on the "cutting edge" . I mentioned above that I went riding today, all ride parks have a release that you have to sign but, it only provides them so much protection. I have spoken with teh Owners(now former owners) of Badlands and they said they always have 1-2 lawsuits going because someone hurt themself.

Last edited by jetboat; 05-16-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
I don't want anyone to be offended by this, but I feel that directorship of SCRC should be performed by elected individuals, but considering that participation of SCRC members is limited I'm not sure if a vote is practical.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, was SCRC first discussed between Jeff and Zach? I honestly can't remember how I heard of the first meeting? (sad I know) But I do remember that Jeff and Zach directed the first meeting, and Jeff has obviously taken the main leadership role to this point.

Now with this said, it is my personal opinion that Jeff and Zach should have directorship responsibility, if they so desire, and beyond that I would like to know what everyone else thinks.

And just for the record I would support the idea of having Josh (xirtic) in a directorship role, considering that Josh has contributed time and effort for the advancement of SCRC, (if Josh is interested of course.)
I'm with Ced on Jeff or Zach for the direct leadguy and for Josh to round up the 3 needed for everything! I'm all for the insurance too, entry fee's might have to be, I don't see a problem with that at all, along with a club membership fee? I've been wanting to go to the meeting's but it's hard for me cause they have at HTU in Naper and it's close to an hour for me, along with me having to work every Sat too, and to say the least GAS prices are killin me along with everyone else i'm sure! I'm hoping to get thing's straightened out moneywise and be more active in the meeting's and the course build at LHR. Sorry bout me ranting on, but just want y'all to know i'm still here and active!
Later
Matt
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote