Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: LHR Course Discussion thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default LHR Course Discussion thread

Since LHR wants to be a world class facility and thus should have a world class crawler course I decided it needed its own thread. Post up your comments (good or bad), suggestions, ideas here.

BUBBACOLA: please chime in as you can and keep us updated.

I think the best bet is to help, instead of just complaining. I think come March I am going to talk with Bernie and see if we can help them design and build a better course. The rocks are there, just need some gravel to lock it all together and build some paths. Im thinking that over this winter we can start coming up with some designs and agree on a course design by March... come that time frame we take it to Bernie and say "look, this is what we want and what will bring people in". Then we dedicate 2 weekends to helping (4 people from the club each work day min) in exchange we ask that they provide us the use of the course for 2 dates.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4allstar View Post
Maybe you should take a vote from your club members to see if they really want those concrete slabs in it anymore or have a second rock crawling course instead.
This is an open discussion, not going to limit it to club members only... This is open to anyone that uses the course, has seen the course, plans to use the course, or has a good idea.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

to go a different direction with that idea... what about making most of it hardcore comp level stuff with a scale trail interlaced. Kind of Rubicon styler where you could do the hardcore stuff or take the Jeep Compass Bypass
Old 11-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #4

if they biuld any type of indoor course for rock crawling i would be happy!!! I just want them to have course so they can have comps, and peps will show up. I mean the outdoor course is cool but we need a winter course. AND WE ALL KNOW LHR'S CAN BUILD A TOP KNOTCH COURSE. I just wish they would do it

Last edited by z-man64; 11-25-2008 at 02:27 PM.
z-man64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I liked the course at the last comp we had there, I think the best thing to add would be more large rocks.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
I liked the course at the last comp we had there, I think the best thing to add would be more large rocks.
well they added alot more rocks but still need bigger ones

Last edited by z-man64; 11-25-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I actually like like those slabs there. I think they offer a diffrent terrain. I would leave them as they are. Maybe mix them up but leave them for a diffrent style course. Goes along with the scale idea. Have diffrent courses for a comp would be awesome. I liked the last comp there as there were 2 courses both completly diffent from the others. And just to ad for those who haven't seen them in person, They are not your normal chunks of concrete. They are smoother and don't tear tires like chunks do. It is kinda of a ruined city look. Like a bomb destroyed a bunch of buildings and we are crawling over the remains lol. That sounds weird but it kinda explains them lol.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
They are smoother and don't tear tires like chunks do. It is kinda of a ruined city look. Like a bomb destroyed a bunch of buildings and we are crawling over the remains lol. That sounds weird but it kinda explains them lol.
it nice to have a apocalyptic terrain. a scale cours would be sweet,could us it for part of 2.2 comps also. i like the tube for bashing but never comp thare so hard to say to stay( but i like it) paths for walk needed bad.a twistid ankle bad day. and willing to give my strong back to help if i don't have the baby. but she might like it.

ps how big will he let us build it
thevulgarcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I kind of agree with keeping the blocks myself... maybe evern rearange some of them. Because they are solid "faced" blocks it makes for a decent surface and does realy give an Urban feel.

Walking paths are almost manditory! Judging on loose rocks is just asking for injury. I was thinking a 3' wide walking path weaving up for every 6'-8' of course.

More Large rocks/boulders are a definate and Im sure as Bernie can get them he will add them.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4allstar View Post
Bernie has some massive boulders in a pile but I didn't see any the right size for crawling.
No such thing... Im going this weekend to crawl on boulders the size of a 2 story house (anyone out west and I mean WEST give me a call)
Old 11-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Ill bet your looking at closer to 5000#'s (must find way to move rocks...)

You've never seen a good super or a stick crawl... they will drive right up to an 18" verticle face and go right up and over.

Edit: Idea! could construct a sled for moving said rocks... must speak with the master of the tractor (Bernie)
Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'm glad I'm not the only one in favor of the slabs lol. I don't have a problem helping with whatever needs to be done as long as it's in the morning. My wife works afternoons and I watch the kids.

As far as moving rocks, I got 2 ways myself lol My ford and my quad with a winch.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one in favor of the slabs lol. I don't have a problem helping with whatever needs to be done as long as it's in the morning. My wife works afternoons and I watch the kids.

As far as moving rocks, I got 2 ways myself lol My ford and my quad with a winch.
the rocks bernie moved for the super course would be hard to move with a winch it would just drag the truck. The rocks for the super course, most of them way over 1,500 pounds at least, and i also like the slab course
Old 11-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Here's another vote for the slab course

For moving big rocks.... where there's a will there's a way!

4x4 fork truck would be ideal.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

2 4x4 posts with chains through the ends, wait on the ground to freeze, load them on the 4x4 sled and drag them. Worked for people 5000 yrs ago.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #16

A few of them rock are at least 5 ton.
bubbacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbacola View Post
A few of them rock are at least 5 ton.
dayyaummm 10k lb rocks! Those are some freakin rocks!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
2 4x4 posts with chains through the ends, wait on the ground to freeze, load them on the 4x4 sled and drag them. Worked for people 5000 yrs ago.
I wouldnt be hooken chains to the rocks and trying to drag them all you will get is a broken drive line on your truck, like your axles, burnt up trans, exc. All bernie needs is a bigger machine, its just that scott at leisures doesnt want to spend more money, wich u cant blame him.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #19

Default hey guys

im new to the site but not new to rc just saying whats up???
4x4allstar i had the brushless clods and pimpcane out there that day!

Last edited by d dogg; 11-28-2008 at 06:58 AM.
d dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Ive moved heavier than that on a skid over frozen ground. Pulled a barn that weighed in about 15k # using skids and a farmall H (19 whole HP). A truck wont do it, you have to use a tractor and you have to get the rock on skids.