Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: interested crawlers in east central Illinois

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default interested crawlers in east central Illinois

Wanting to find as many people in this area that are interested in crawling. I am close to Jtec in Tilton, IL and want to get enough people to come if a course is built there.

They do not currently have a course built but they are talking about building one it the spring. They have a very nice facility there and I think it would be a welcome addition to thier many options they have for racing. Just wanted to put the word out and find out how many are close enough that would come.
jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have a large comp course between Champaign and Danville that we hosted a comp on this spring that was sponsored by GreatPlanes/Futaba. Turnout was disapointing however, the comp had been resched and I know at least 2 that missed it because of date confusing.
On a club level I have been in contact with TriState crawlers and they have shown interest in the rumors of a course at Jtec. What I would say is that you cant gauge interest from just a post on the internet.
It really is a "build it and they will come" situation. Its the same advice I have given to every place that has considered building a course. If you just dump out a pile of rocks and call it a course, you wont get many people... If you take some time, get some advice (and follow it) use the biggest boulders you can get, lock them together, put some big climbs and good dropoffs... You will attract a good crowd.

Basically a pile of rocks = a few bashers that may or may not come back
Well thought out course with difficult lines etc = a championship level course that will have people coming back.

Feel free to come look at my course, have the Jtec guys come out etc. Something else to keep in mind, Rocks are expenisve, concrete mix is cheap. I can show you lots of examples of great courses that were built cheap from concrete and replicate the surface texture of some of the best 1:1 crawling.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yeah, I live in oakwood. I would love to come look at your course. I only recently got into RC crawling from 1:1 scale crawling/trailriding. I have been watching many of the videos on Youtube etc... and have many ideas for a good course. Those guys don't know much about crawling, racing hell yeah! They just want to bring in a bunch of rocks. I am like you, I would rather build a good course and see who we can get to come out. I am heading up to their indoor race track to see how much room they have there and if a course could be built there. They race there every Sunday.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #4

Default In the same area...

Well, I'm north of Champaign/Urbana, but work between Champaign and Danville.

I have an Axial bases 2.2 I mess with, and now a Losi MRC that I have cut several peices for already. It's still stock length, just not stock chasis, front axle plate, rear axle plate, and that little 4 link in the rear (haven't made the links for the front yet)

Last I heard Donnie was talking about setting up a crawler course out at JTEC this coming outdoor season. Time will tell if he find the time/money/energy to do it.

I've had more fun messing with the crawler than anything else; just not so serious. That, and I get to do more design and fab work on the crawler than I ever would for on the track.

I do need to get less busy on the weekend to go play on the carpet though with one of the other trucks or the slider.
hcssbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I live in St. Joseph so that would be close for me.
Jet
Are you planning any comps down here this year?
LMK
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg53 View Post
I live in St. Joseph so that would be close for me.
Jet
Are you planning any comps down here this year?
LMK
J

Planning at least 1... June/July time frame maybe a fall comp in Oct
Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #7

Please post some info when you have it. I would be interested. I get down that way a few times a year.
HELLSUNICORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLSUNICORN View Post
Please post some info when you have it. I would be interested. I get down that way a few times a year.
We have comps all year long within an hr drive of you... checkout SCRC (link in sig)
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #9

Do you have to be a member to go to the comps or could I sign up the day of?
HELLSUNICORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Do you have to be a member to go to the comps or could I sign up the day of?

Dont have to be a member but it will save you $2 on entry... You can either join via email ahead of time or at the time of the comp.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #11

Hi guys

JTEC is still trying to figure out a rock course. I ask them once in a while when I'm in there. My wife call it my second home.
I live down the road from them.

Jetboat, I seem to remember an older thread about a course around Homer, is that your's?

Off to check out your site.
dellis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

They are supposed to build it outside in the middle of the dirt oval course. I think they are going to start working on it in the next couple weeks.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Course over by Homer is mine, Ill be down there next weekend if you guys want to come out. PM me for directions
Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Might be interested if all my parts come in before then. My scaler is done, but waiting on my 2.2 crawler parts to get here. You can't laugh though, I am a newb!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
MWRCA'er

Quote:
What? another guy from Rockford? I might have to hold a local event here soon once the weather stops messing around.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote