Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Midwest Indoor Challenge - OMAHA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Midwest Indoor Challenge - OMAHA

I plan on signing up for this event (Pro Class) when registration opens on THURSDAY @ 6pm. The site states that there are 95 spaces available. Do any other SCRC members plan on attending this event??

Here is a link to the event details:
2009 - 2.2 Midwest Indoor Rock Crawling Challange

My intent is to drive there Friday (3/13)....and come home after the event on Saturday night.....maybe Sunday. IF a member wants to carpool, that can be discussed, or we can all just meet at the event. For more of my details, please PM me. This thread will be used to judge interest and intent.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I am 50/50 on it. The $50 entry seems a little steep to me.

Im donating a BTA as a prize rather I go or not.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I agree that $50 is steep, but getting SCRC out there at a larger scale event is important. Even if it is just me, I will be wearing our shirt with pride and letting the bigger clubs know that we are here. It only takes one person to do that.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #4

Heck I wish I could go to the midwest challenge once. Jetboat I hope you have your companies name stamped on the bta or on the box of the btas atleast. Maybe even if they come in a plastic bag have a cardboard logo made up that seals the bag. Just some thoughts. Advertising can get expensive. I personally would just have my companies name on the box. Hmmm. Here's a idea start a website selling your custom made btas and stick frames. Just a thought. Heck for as much as tcs sells sticks for you could sell yours for half the price and still make a nice profit. Oh yeah T shirts are good but the first thing people look at when they see somone is there head. Are you ever going to have scrc hats to? I would get a bta from you but I think I would have to switch to a lipo battery since there won't be any room on the front axle for a split cell pack like I have on it and I don't want to run lipo. It's to much money for a new pack and a charger.
4x4allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys just go it will be a blast & the resone for such a high entry fee is for materials for course build & the main resone is hobbytown is canceling all there races for a week & losing money so we kinda ne to make up for that
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #6

Been to the plex several times racing carpet. This is a awesome hobbyshop. I was drooling on crawlers last december. Thats why i bought one. Top notch facility. I heard they are building a course. It should be bad azz, they dont do anything half azzed. I wouldnt worry about a $50 entry. Should be a killer time. Omaha Rocks at nite!
jenzorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #7
MWRCA'er

I'm considering it though I don't know. I'm not really a fan of huge comps. I play more for sport then for wins. The super super long drive also doesn't thrill me like at all. Might be better off flying. However, it has been a while since I went on vacation and it is a something to do. But, at the same time I can't help but think of the natural rock locations I could drive to in the summer. Usually when I drive that far I make more then just a R/c trip out of it. I have been through that area many times on my way to Moab, UT. That hobby shop is what dreams are made of, HUGE! Lodging around there is also super cheap I think Zach and I stayed for $45
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Im down to 30/70 against going. The drive is what is really killer. 8hrs 1 way for a 1 day event... I dont even drive up to devils lake. Im thinking I might reserve my big comp for Tristates comp in June.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm in
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
I'm in

If you want to carpool again, let me know. (I will be drivingthere FRIDAY)
Old 01-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
If you want to carpool again, let me know. (I will be drivingthere FRIDAY)
Thanks, we can definitely work something out, if you don't want to put the miles on your ride we can split the cost for a rental car too, I would rent a car versus driving my truck at 10mpg
Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
Thanks, we can definitely work something out, if you don't want to put the miles on your ride we can split the cost for a rental car too, I would rent a car versus driving my truck at 10mpg

I do not mind driving my ride for personal miles like this. At 25mpg, it is quite gas friendly for a SUV. I am thinking it will only take 3 tanks round trip.

The new T-Shirts are coming at a good time....makes it easier to represent SCRC at the event.

We have plenty of time to work out details. I am looking forward to 6pm tomorrow to lock in a ticket.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Only 12 hours until registration opens......any other SCRC members taking at look at this comp?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Im down to 10/90 against :-(
Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Sorry to hear that.

In case anyone else is considering it, Holiday Inn Express which is near the comp location is offering a special price on rooms, just mention HobbyTown when you make your reservations and your room will be $75/night, their phone is: 402-505-8181.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:

That really is a pity. It should be a good time (even though it is only a 1 day event). They are saying a 7am check-in and it will probably run until 9pm or so. That is 14 hours. $50 / 14 hours = $3.57 /hr of event fun. Not a bad cost per hour.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Unfortunatly money is tight for me right now the wife and I will discuss it, its not 6pm yet... Would be nice to see a large SCRC showing.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I was doing some looking... round trip flights are only $141 (taxes included) Might be worth it versus driving 7hrs 1 way
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was doing some looking... round trip flights are only $141 (taxes included) Might be worth it versus driving 7hrs 1 way

I thought similar, but....

-Round-trip gas will only be $100 (or less) Flight is $141
-I would still have to pay 3 days of parking at OHARE ($13/day=$39)
-I would have to find a way to get the truck/tools/parts/clothes/work laptop to Omaha. (Baggage fees of $15 each way plus the hassel=$30)
-I would still need a rental when I get to Omaha ($40/dayx2 = $80)
-I know that I am putting miles on MY car, but to rent a SUV is $80/day from Avis with my corporate rate. (3 days if driving = $240 + GAS)

SO.....
-Driving my own ride will cost $100 (mileage has a cost, but that is not immediately monetary.
-Flying will cost ($141 + $39 + $30 + $80) = $290 minimum
-Driving a RENTAL SUV will cost ($240 + GAS) = $340 minimum

Driving is definitely less expensive. Carpooling even drops the individual cost further. Time also has a value, but since I have the days free anyway, my time at that point is free.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

yup, good points. Im so back and forth on it. I want to go but, I also want to go to Nats and really this year I can only do 1 (even with a carpool). I did find out that southwest has big enough carryons to pack my truck/controler/batteries and normal tools in. Also, lipo batteries now must be in your carry on (good thing if you ask me). Plus you still get a backpack in adition.
I can get some pretty good car rental rates thru work... still need to check into them.