Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Rockford, IL Rock Bash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
MWRCA'er

Default Rockford, IL Rock Bash

Hey I figured I would let you local guys know I am planning a bash in Cherry Valley at Baumen park February 13/14th. Rocks are not awesome but it's our usual bash area. The rocks are good for testing the balance and ground clearance. Big sharp granite chunks, Time to test the winter mods.

Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I wont be comeing out for this one.
My local spot is better anyways
......IOWA.....pics
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Count me in!

Matt
Sexxyrunr1@aol.com
BagoXCAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
MWRCA'er

If the snow melts away I might change the location to Rock Cut. Far better hills and rocks but it's a deep forest so snow is sheilded by trees. If we get a streak of good weather I might maybe possibly change it to Devils Lake. Probably the usual Rockford local people will come to this event. Me my Brother, Soya, possibly Thumbman I'll explore some of Rock Cut this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82
I wont be comeing out for this one.
My local spot is better anyways
......IOWA.....pics
Yeah, your place may be better but we would have to drive 2-1/2 hours.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ok cool. Keep me posted. Would really like to check out Devil's Lake, but it depends on the weather and how much, if any snow is around. Rock Cut would be pretty cool too, but like you said, depends on the weather.

Matt
Old 01-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Depends on which day we go, my truck is all back to gether again and crawls up my stairs vary well. The weather hasent been good to try it out on the rocks by my house. Thanks again Mnster for the work on the chassis. Keep me posted.
thumbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
MWRCA'er

Looks like total crap weather next week. Snow and rain.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well, lets keep our fingers crossed that the weather will be descent.

Matt
Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
MWRCA'er

Yeah the weather predictions are never right anyways. I've test drove my truck around the shop it's a ton more capable then last year. New body, cut moabs, 3/4 longer, shorter links, fresh motors, rear tilted axle housing. I'll check out Baumen park or rock cut this Friday to check the water level and different things. Pics if I remember.

So BagoXCAlum whats your TXT like? I know you had lathe motors and something else. I've seen you around on chitown board.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:12 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

My TXT isn't anything real spectacular. Its got a 55t lathe, cut and bent chassis, Revo shafts, 17" wb, Tekin Rebel 2 ESC, and I just painted a new body for it. Right now, I'm working on cutting up the stock tires. Should work pretty well on the rocks, but we'll see. Really need to test it out. If these tires don't work, guess I'll have to invest in some Moabs. Yeah, I've been more of a lurker on the Chitown board more than anything else lately. Was on there more when I was plannin on racing my TNX.Matt
Old 02-01-2006, 07:07 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster
Yeah the weather predictions are never right anyways. I've test drove my truck around the shop it's a ton more capable then last year. New body, cut moabs, 3/4 longer, shorter links, fresh motors, rear tilted axle housing. I'll check out Baumen park or rock cut this Friday to check the water level and different things. Pics if I remember.

So BagoXCAlum whats your TXT like? I know you had lathe motors and something else. I've seen you around on chitown board.
That's hard to believe. That thing allready was the best at Devil's.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
MWRCA'er

Yeah I was playing with plywood in my basement last night it can walk up a 53 degree slope. I can go even steeper if I get more traction. The battery location and cut tires really did help. Devils lake should seem easy now :-P
Old 02-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I found a pro-line extended body last night at a hobby store in Joliet. The body covers all the backbone except for approx. 3/4" and its not as wide as my old one. I just need to pick up some paint for it. Bonus for me when work sends you for training, and have to stay over night.
thumbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
MWRCA'er

Extended body I think thats the same one that Soya has, its a really solid body. I went with the Proline Titan it's a little wide it rubs the tires but look good.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well, I know its a bit early, but I checked some forecasts for the planned weekend and it looks like its going to be sunny and cold. Guess we'll have to play it by ear. Any determination yet as to where this thing is going to happen?

Matt
Old 02-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #16
MWRCA'er

I went to Rock Cut on Friday, brought the camera but the batterys were dead. The leafs were gone it was cool, not much but steep hills though. My rig ran into a few problems, the front axle would lock up and seize at different times during the crawl. I'm not really sure why but I think maybe the pinions set screw was a little to close to the gear. The rear servo has a large amount of free play. A gear pivot must have ripped. The front wheel came loose and I didn't have tools. I could also hear a bad bearing somewhere it was screaming like dog whistle. Then at the of the run the main screw that holds the rear links on fell off at a bad time. The links went pogo sticking into the ground and sheared off. Then we where late leaving the park the park ranger was closing the gates. He was a little frustrated.

Not a great crawl but fun none the less.

Then on the way home I went to the hobby shop and got some stiffer springs, screws and some more body mounts. Clods is in shambles, I guess some more tweaking is in order for this week.

I think we should cross Rock Cut off the list as it closes down at 5:00. Baumen park is nice because its directly off the freeway. I don't know when it closes or if the water level is high I'll have to check into that this week. Are we planning on going Sunday?

Last edited by Mnster; 02-05-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Sunday works for me.

Matt
Old 02-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #18
MWRCA'er

Alright then we'll plan on Sunday as thats the time I'm available. What time?

I'll get you directions as soon I figure out the address.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

How much does your truck wiegh?
You must have some grippy plywood. Mine just spins the tires
Old 02-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #20
MWRCA'er

9.5 pounds fully ready to go

The plywood is the leftover scrap from when I painted the rear cage with bedliner. Its the wood chip type board with some bedliner over spray on it.