Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: NIRC. Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #5221
RCC Addict

Default Re: NIRC. Chit Chat

Chris.. I'm going through the same super short driveshaft issue right now. I was goong to cut & weld an MIP. We could go halves on a set if you like.

It does look like your motor could go forward more. Lets see a better picture from the top. My motor sits right next to the servo and I planned on fabbing a little heat shield.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #5222
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
Chris.. I'm going through the same super short driveshaft issue right now. I was goong to cut & weld an MIP. We could go halves on a set if you like.

It does look like your motor could go forward more. Lets see a better picture from the top. My motor sits right next to the servo and I planned on fabbing a little heat shield.

From the other side...

Can't really get it much further forward, maybe 3 or 4mm, at most. Bit worried with it being close to the servo as is.

Also have hood clearance issues. If I go forward more and tilt it up enough to get to clear the corner of the servo, then I would need to cut out the hood and put scoop in; which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, we could do that; that would be cool. I was scrounging around and thought I had another set, but I guess I don't. I'm going to work on it a bit more today, and I'll bring it tomorrow and we can look at it and all.

Last edited by thzero; 05-26-2012 at 08:44 AM.
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #5223
RCC Addict

Oh yea.. I see now. I have mine mounted sideways like, bolted to the frame rail so it fits better in my application. My driveshaft has to be really short too but, it doesnt have to extend so, thats good. It can be welded solid.
I'll order the MIP's.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #5224
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh yea.. I see now. I have mine mounted sideways like, bolted to the frame rail so it fits better in my application.
Sideways like? Like perpendicular to the frame rails rather than parallel like mine is?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #5225
RCC Addict

Yeah but, I'm running TSS frame rails and I made a special bracket to mount it sideways. It would be a little more involved to mount it sideways on SCX rails. You can see what I'm talking about in my build thread. I wouldn't worry about the short driveshaft though.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #5226
Rock Crawler

I don't know if this will work any better or not but you might consider the traxxas cups and dog bone style shaft. It may be easier to shorten/weld. Just a thought.

JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #5227
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
I don't know if this will work any better or not but you might consider the traxxas cups and dog bone style shaft. It may be easier to shorten/weld. Just a thought.
Not a bad idea trey.

Too bad the SCX10 rails don't quite allow for the same type of mounting as you have there, that would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing
Yeah but, I'm running TSS frame rails and I made a special bracket to mount it sideways. It would be a little more involved to mount it sideways on SCX rails. You can see what I'm talking about in my build thread. I wouldn't worry about the short driveshaft though.
I dunno... think I can just cut up an aluminum plate and bolt it to the front metal crossmember and tie it to the winch mount I had to build. Then just hang it there, should allow more room.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #5228
Rock Crawler

They're not that different. You'd have to shorten the shaft significantly. The reason I thought it would be easier is because it allows the sliding movement at each cup instead of one shaft sliding over another. Seems like welding this shaft would be a lot easier than an MIP because you could do it at the center and not worry about the splines being messed up with a weld. Just a thought though, I don't have yours in front of me.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #5229
RCC Addict

Also Trey, in a transmission to transfercase application.. The shaft doesnt need to slide. It can be a solid shaft, its not going to need to move in or out. It'll just be a little different installing/uninstalling it.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #5230
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Also Trey, in a transmission to transfercase application.. The shaft doesnt need to slide. It can be a solid shaft, its not going to need to move in or out.
Yeah...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #5231
RCC Addict

In probably both mine and chris's application, the shaft will be so short that its not going to have any shafts at all. It'll just look like two big fat balls welded together. Wait, that sounds gay. But yeah, theres not going to be any shafts left. I should be able to blend it in so it looks nice but, its going to look and BE super beefy and large diameter.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #5232
Rock Crawler

Right but the fact that it slides also allows for error in the length of the shaft when you weld it. But so does the set screw on an MIP. Just thinking out loud.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #5233
Rock Crawler

Quote:
In probably both mine and chris's application, the shaft will be so short that its not going to have any shafts at all. It'll just look like two big fat balls welded together. Wait, that sounds gay. But yeah, theres not going to be any shafts left. I should be able to blend it in so it looks nice but, its going to look and BE super beefy and large diameter.
No welding balls together! Thats just not right!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #5234
RCC Addict

Precision measuring is what I do 50hrs a week! And if its on someone elses chevy, I don't care if its right!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #5235
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Precision measuring is what I do 50hrs a week! And if its on someone elses chevy, I don't care if its right!
hahahaha!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #5236

Quote:
for my new intermediate shaft i had a board member spin me a little stainless tube that fits mip ends. looks pretty easy to do with the right tools.

i had a cut and brazed rc4wd punisher shaft in it up to now, it was getting very sloppy at the universal pins tho.

i also have a couple emaxx shortend shafts as backups. dont think ill need to worry since i got the new setup.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #5237
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
for my new intermediate shaft i had a board member spin me a little stainless tube that fits mip ends. looks pretty easy to do with the right tools.

Thats not a bad idea!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #5238
Pebble Pounder

Balls and shafts? I must be in the wrong place.
gottwins? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #5239

Quote:
Originally Posted by thzero View Post
Thats not a bad idea!
its the cleanest way to do it imo. im sure rick could make some up or i could tell ya who made mine. username rhymes with warpig. ;)
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #5240
Rock Crawler

That is slick!

Tags
baby mama drama, ban the mouth!, disappearing ta, disappearing tag show, fattittybrits, kidsthesedays, ls1 everything, rc hippies, tittie artist, winter is lame