Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Mad Hopper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Mad Hopper

im in the first stages of the Mad Hopper project. its basically a first running model that works.

the axles are Mad Force / Twin Force axles. Traxxas Revo driveshafts mated up to an Emaxx tranny full out the driveline. The wheelbase turned out around 17 inches or so.

The electronics are a JR six channel digital ground radio, Castle Creation Mamba 25 ESC, and a MP Jet "540" outrunner. Ive just been using six cell sub C packs.

On to pics.

edit: Post up if the pics look too dark. The contrast seems to be lacking because its too dark on my screen. I want others' opinions on them.
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 07-22-2005 at 11:07 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Looks like a good start. Why the maxx tranny and not the Twin tranny? Just curious.

The pics are a tad dark but still visable,the first pic is probly the worst as far as being to dark. The rest seem to be a little better.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #3

i used the maxx tranny because i bought it as a mad force. nitro centerfugal three speed. i want the two speed because of flexiablity, and i have a few tricks up my sleeves as well. so far i have broken two upper links from driving. im going to have to make this thing bullitproof for the future. i would say it goes 8 to 10 mph now in second gear. i want to hit 40 or 50 and still be able to handle any slow speed crawling too.

darkest pic fixed. This was going to be the buildoff rig, but I couldnt hold the cat in the bag. im starting to be an attention *****.

Focker out....

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 07-22-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:58 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

10mph or 40 mph

wow - you would have to have a major difference between the two gears

like 72:1 and 18:1

it can easily be dont tho - so be nice to see
they way i would do it is to run to transmitions over each other

CHECK OUT THIS IDEA

just run a double motor plate and have one motor with a gd-600 gear reduction
and one without

run the motor in the gear reduction for crawling and put it in the other slot for top speed with a 17t pinion or something

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but im sure you hav come up with something far more complicated
jimbobmarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

IMHO, I think its not a contrast issue, but maybe backlighting????????????

Nice rig, how bout callin it the "Velvet Crawler"!!

Nice servo mounts, let us know if they rotate on the tube or not. I have access to lots of adel clamps.....

Last edited by willyrocket; 07-23-2005 at 10:31 AM.
willyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

that would be pretty sweet if you could make it go 40 then flip a switch and have it go like 5-10 mph with a crawl ratio of like 70:1

sweet truck too
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobmarley
just run a double motor plate and have one motor with a gd-600 gear reduction
and one without

run the motor in the gear reduction for crawling and put it in the other slot for top speed with a 17t pinion or something

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but im sure you hav come up with something far more complicated
I was going to take two motors like you said, use a gd600 on one, and leave the other w/ stock gearing. My only concern was the handling at speed. suspension eing soft enough for crawling and stiff enough to handle high speed bumps. Try it and see, would be very interesting.
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:35 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm digging the possibilities of that outrunner brushless you have mounted on that truck. I'm interested in getting one as well for a project, but I'm just putting the finishing touches on my clod ($$$). Is that the system you were talking about in the electronics thread?
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:49 PM   #9

yeah, thats the same setup radish. its been flawless so far. it works better than i thought it would.

the clamps have worked good too. the way i have it set up, it clamps down on the axle when i tighten it. i dont think its going anywhere for a while.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:44 PM   #10

wow. my post got deleted.

just posting some more pics up. the crawler handles very nice, and does well on vertical for a shafty. it needs to be lowered.

i am in the process of redesigning the chassis whist i fix some broken links. it will be a few weeks probably because my work is going through turning over about 100 duplex sides in a few days.

shafty do good. fast speed ahead in future. suspension tricky part say white man.
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 07-26-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Killer rig, keep up the nice clean professional work! and funny signature hahaha!
sean_lv_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #12

hehehe. you know it about the sig. the "missisng post" that i refer to in post ten decided to show itself elsewhere on the board.

thanks for the compliments man. i feel that this rig is my best built and designed so far. its got its kinks, but it loves the velvett!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #13

I like those lower links. Arrows?
krawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

^^^yea i was thinking the same thing
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:47 PM   #15

yep. the lowers are doing great. ive broken the upper carbon arrows to smithereens. big rocks + 15 mph downhill = lots of broken things. thats why i want it to go faster, so i can just gap the dang rocks.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:07 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Looking good. I am diggin' the camo lower links :-)
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #17
RCC Addict

if you go for the wide gap between low gear and high gear you'll have to be careful about downshifting because if you are going 40 and you shift to low gear you'll end up blowing your motor or the gears or somthin. Like in a real car if you are in any gear above first and you downshift to 1st you will blow somthing up. That is a very cool rig though.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #18

im not gonna hit 40 with just higher gearing. the emaxx tranny is gonna stay the same. i really need to finish up the chassis so i can mount everything up. im working turnover this week though and i am responsible for doing maintenance on 50 buildings in five days. probably more once i get done with those.

thanks for the replies and compliments guys. i wish the Mad Hopper was still so clean and shiney! i just wish it were running actually. since i took the tranny out to mock up a tuber i havent gotten it back together. ill be back soon with something new though. just gotta wait on that radio to get back with all centering gimbals.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #19

Ive been testing different setups with the Mad Hopper, and i have found out what doesnt work.

the batteries need to be on the axles. it just doesnt work well with they are on the chassis.

Using one inrunner brushless and one outrunner brushless doesnt work for high speed mayhem like i thought it would. No golden ticket for me. The magnetic power and cogging of the outrunner drained and heated up everything and didnt give me good speed that i would use. It was like having the Ebrake on.
-option one to fix the problem would be to make a wide ratio tranny. i dont think i can get a brushless motor that will act well under stall situations and still put out the power to keep a heavy rig going 40. well--- a large inrunner 4 pole plettenberg motor would work but they are mucho$$$.
-option two is to make a tranny that selects one motor or another. it will add a pound of weight to run two motors, but i can sacrifice one pound for high speed at the current junction in time.

the servo holder is working flawless. It doesnt move, and i dont think it will until i loosen it.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:17 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

what if you ran two outrunners sliylty out of sync on seperate controlers, so one is always half way between locks. that might help eliminate the week spot on the motor's rotation.
Brute_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote