Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: AKRCC Zeus chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
TEAM MODERATOR

Default AKRCC Zeus chassis

I'm very excited about this new chassis. So far it's looking VERY promising. I've been working on this for a little while figuring everything up mainly. Allot of help was given from Rocky and the rest of the AKRCC team. We all know that Clods make up for the majority of the super class but we wanted to leave an option in this chassis that would allow other builds as well. One thing I like is that my Cobalt puller from Holmes will fit perfectly in the chassis. This thing is super skinny,so there's very little to drag through the rocks or get hung up on.

I was kinda bummed today when the delivery guy came at work. I ordered some material to make some custom links for this build,but it hasn't come in yet. Since I'm using the same length links as I had,I just used my old links for mock up and pictures. As soon as I can get the material,I'll be running some custom links with the same super beefy hardware I think I'm going to try and run a sprung set up all around on this build. I'll soon be eliminating the rear steer in favor of front dig. I've wanted to try that for some time now. Since there's no dig on the market that'll handle a super without killing itself,I thought I'd design my own. There's allot more to do on this build,but I gotta finish it before the 13th of December.

Here's a few pictures as it sits right now. Hopefully I can get a little more work done on this Sunday afternoon.

I have a new Losi grappler body for it,but it's a little to cold out to paint it right now. Sunday I'l warm the shop up and paint/trim it up the same as my 2.2 body seen here

Last edited by Reflection; 11-25-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Look at this thing! Geez Steve nice job so far on the super! Bling bling on those plates buddy! I cant wait to see this thing rolling, looks like its gonna be a beast. What GC and WB are you use to?
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Thank you Rocky,as well as the rest of the team. I think we've got a good performer here. It's gotta be done by the 13th as we've got a comp at my place that weekend. Hopefully my link material will show up Monday. I've got some super beefy lower links planned out for this thing. I got all the components built for the dig set up and I think it'll be a breeze squeezing them in here.

Ground clearance is 2.750 at the moment. 11 pieces of 1/4" delrin = 2.750 It may go up or down a touch once I get my shocks mounted,but I'd like to stay close to what I have now.

WB is 16.5" right now,but it'll be 16" when I get my new links made.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default my mad force super,,,

Steve, do you still run TF trannies in any of your rigs these days??
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Holy crap that thing is dinky. You gonna add some extentions for the shocks? Do you have enough seperation in your links to hold yer axles in center? Can't wait to see what yer dig looks like.
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I don't think so. I haven't seen a TF trany in his rigs since that 2 horse outrunner. I may be the only one that still dose. No I guess MAKKEM dose too.

Last edited by Bart bender; 11-23-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

I think it would be best to place my uppers on the outside of the chassis. When I get my new links made,they'll be bent a little so I can mount them outside and exactly where I want them. Plus,Having the links on the outside,there would be a little extra room to work with putting my dig unit in there.

Found a little carnage in the tranny when I opened it up. The aluminum gears have nearly been stripped clean. I really need to find some hardened steel gears to go in this tranny.

As bad as I don't care for link mounted shocks,I'm going to put provision on my lower links for shocks. If I can't get that to work to my likings,I'll build a little extension into the top cross member just for the shocks.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
I think it would be best to place my uppers on the outside of the chassis. When I get my new links made,they'll be bent a little so I can mount them outside and exactly where I want them. Plus,Having the links on the outside,there would be a little extra room to work with putting my dig unit in there.
That wouldn't hurt anything. Doubt you will hang up on them. Realestate looks to be a premium in that thing too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Found a little carnage in the tranny when I opened it up. The aluminum gears have nearly been stripped clean. I really need to find some hardened steel gears to go in this tranny.
I thought Anthony made steel gears for that. Start makin chips
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
As bad as I don't care for link mounted shocks,I'm going to put provision on my lower links for shocks. If I can't get that to work to my likings,I'll build a little extension into the top cross member just for the shocks.
WA WA WA WHAT??
Are we going to see a Raptorman build on the Clod board next?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
I thought Anthony made steel gears for that. Start makin chips
Wish he did. He does make 6mm chromoly outputs for the Axial tranny though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
Are we going to see a Raptorman build on the Clod board next?
When did pigs start to fly? Never got that memo.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRC View Post
Steve, do you still run TF trannies in any of your rigs these days??
I've got a couple rigs built that have Twin trannies in them,but I don't run them much. The Twin tranny is definitely a very stout tranny but it's got a couple drawbacks. Unless it's highly modified,it places the motor way to high in the chassis. It also has to much girth.....It's just big The Axial tranny,once upgraded with the right parts,is ALLOT smaller and dang near almost as strong. In my 14r build,I had the tranny,motor,ESC,BEC and receiver all placed in the cockpit of the Hustler with room to spare. I can't put a Twin tranny by itself in the cockpit of a Hustler.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default my mad force super,,,

Well, just for the record, I'm still using them too. I have three of em...One in a completed truck and two extra new ones. Actually I'm preparing mod one of them (in a manner unlike any I've seen up to this point) for my new TF axled 15"-16" super. It will mount to one of the TVP's and also to the center skid. It should work well. I'll know soon enough. Actually it may be a little while though as I'm in the middle of another build at the present time, but I do now have all the parts collected for the super rig (except my JRH Cobalt. I haven't decided which version to go with. Any suggestions/ideas by the way?)

Last edited by BeeRC; 11-22-2008 at 07:25 PM.
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Last time I talked with John about motors,he had PLENTY of 7 turn pullers on hand. Personally,I like the 10t pullers better. Both are VERY good motors.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Any updates Steve? You got less than 2 weeks to get this baby running! She almost ready? j/w cause im excited to see this baby rolling.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

I've been doing a little each night after work. Still putting in 13-14 hour days at the shop. I'm planning on wrapping this thing up Sunday. Here's a few pictures.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm STILL waiting on the material I ordered for my links. I think I'm gonna go smack the guy that orders everything at work tomorrow. I can't wait any longer,so I chucked up a stick of 3/8" aluminum rod,parted them off to length and tapped the ends to #10 hardware.

I'm not real tickled with how laid back the front shocks are. I've installed heavier springs and thicker oil to help overcome that. Along with being SEVERELY limited,the front may work well. I've not ever been a huge fan of link mounted shocks,but I'm not ruling that out yet. I built some brackets today that'll bolt to my front lowers. I'll drill and tap some holes so I can mount some itty bitty front shocks,near vertical and droop style. I'll try both and see which set up I prefer.

I still need to finish up my straight axle adapters for the rear,might do that tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #15
SuperShafty.com

looks really good man. couple ?'s for ya.

have you thought about making and extenstion out of some aluminum to being the front shock mount a little more forward. i know its not factory work, but since you work in a shop i figured you would be able to get something like that mocked up pretty quick. and im sure you aready thought of it.

other than that, looks like the build came together really well. nice a tight setup.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Did you spill some paint or something on this pic Or hiding something

OH yea it looks good so far
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
looks really good man. couple ?'s for ya.

have you thought about making and extenstion out of some aluminum to being the front shock mount a little more forward. i know its not factory work, but since you work in a shop i figured you would be able to get something like that mocked up pretty quick. and im sure you aready thought of it.
I did think about that,but it'd keep me from slamming the body like I want. Everything will be below the tires except the cab section of my grappler body. It would be rather simple to do and I could add that later to try. I've been working so much,I'm kinda in a rush to get this done before the 13th. Not sure if I'll even get to pre run the truck before it's first comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddill View Post
Did you spill some paint or something on this pic Or hiding something

OH yea it looks good so far
Thanks Stacey. I've got a few pictures that turned out that way,not sure why.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Nice spray paint camo. This thing's getting BEEFY
Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Had a chance today to redo my steering a little. Got it the way I want it. Mounted up the droop shocks on the front links. Painted my new body for this year. I also built some shorter dog bones for the rear axle,but forgot my solid axle adapters at work I'll get them installed tommorrow. The rear should be about 1" narrower than the front when alls said and done. As soon as I can get my tranny gears in,I can get it out on the rocks. Just a few poser shots for now.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Looks great Can't wait to see it ...
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote