Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: another 2.2 twin force axle rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #101
SuperShafty.com

i like it. its pretty sweet that you can control that high powered brushless system at such a slow speed too.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #102
RCC Addict

Location: NHFF world headquarters, working on the "rock mauling hill shooting NHFF pig squealing death rocket"
Default 6s carnage report on the twin axles

ok the best way i can describe this one, is have any of you got one of your tires wrapped around a root at full throttle and it brings that tire to an abrupt stop? this happened 4 times with a root about the size of your little finger and on the fourth time, snap!

ok the last one i don't think i can call it broke, but what happened after i got it home and checked it out was the two plastic screws that hold my pinion bearings tight had backed out. this caused the pinion and ring gear to deflect and the rear end started slipping the gears ( it makes a cool noise). so my plan is to replace the gears and replace the two plastic screws with 3mm bolts and nylocks. we'll see if that will hold it!
buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #103
Rock Crawler

OOOOHHHHH...............

That Sucks!!!!!

Oh Man That's a custom part isn't it?

V8
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Well, if there's a weak link, you'll find it Maybe try the loctite that Steve mentioned next time. Looks like the heat from brazing/silver soldering, weakened the shaft. I have long screws and nuts on all my pinions.
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #105
RCC Addict

Location: NHFF world headquarters, working on the "rock mauling hill shooting NHFF pig squealing death rocket"

Quote:
Originally Posted by v84x4 View Post
OOOOHHHHH...............

That Sucks!!!!!

Oh Man That's a custom part isn't it?

V8
The shaft? Yep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
Well, if there's a weak link, you'll find it Maybe try the loctite that Steve mentioned next time. Looks like the heat from brazing/silver soldering, weakened the shaft. I have long screws and nuts on all my pinions.
The loctite, press fit sleeve and pin method is in the works.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #106
SuperShafty.com

looks like a thicker axle may be in order

how do those gears hold up to back lash with all that helical cutting? i have had to shim mins quite a bit to make sure the pinion doesnt start eating the spool.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #107
RCC Addict

well it's just fun with the trial and error. i have discovered one thing, no matter how a shaft is built its still purdy damn strong.

in this pic if you will look where it broke you can see that some of the hard chrome has been sanded off. when i first built these shafts i sanded the outside of the shafts in the area that i was gonna sleeve them thinking it would make a stronger solder joint. well you can see that this part was just short of getting sleeved and soldered, it just got some hard chrome removed and there for it got weaker.

this pic will show you just how much abuse a cut and sleeved shaft can take. i ran it in the rear of my 9lb rig with my 10t puller on 3s and it never broke, it looks bad but never broke. just a little info on this shaft, this was one i screwed up while trying to cut down. i never actually broke it in the truck.

i think i will take this shaft i found at my lhs and the the good part of whats left of the broke shaft, cut and sleeve them to the right length and keep it as a spare. it may not last but it might help get me through the rest of the day sometime.

this last pic i have the shaft has been sleeved a lot further down and shows no sign of twisting or anything. it was ran in the rear of my rig all day on 6s and survived! the short side in the rear has a long sleeve on it too.

i think i may make a long and a short shaft that will be sleeved the entire length of the shaft with no cuts inside, just pinned on the end and see how it does
Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #108
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
looks like a thicker axle may be in order

how do those gears hold up to back lash with all that helical cutting? i have had to shim mins quite a bit to make sure the pinion doesnt start eating the spool.
they have been doing fine. from what i've read from way back in this section. getting them shimmed right is the most aggravating part. when you do tho, there stout!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #109
RCC Addict

i just put the old gears back in since they didn't look too bad. id say this will keep the case from deflecting for a while.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #110
SuperShafty.com

i actually figured out its a lot easier to shim them when using the revo shafts because you are able to drill through the pinion and use the revo set screw bolt thinger.
it makes the shaft sit on the pinion exactly the same way every time you put it on. that way the shims should always line up perfectly.

which shafts are you using?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #111
RCC Addict

im using mip's. you can use the "revo set screw bolt thinger" on them to, i have just never drilled the pinion for them. i've got em sitting here, just never done it.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #112
RCC Addict

crawling video clips
3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY7AtCYSdwk
6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6N1XLU6AyQ
black marks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Curp5XkzoXs
more crawling on 3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRpetnsABeY
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #113
Rock Crawler

Im liking the 6s
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #114
SuperShafty.com

thats look very smooth.

how is the cogging on that huge motor?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #115
RCC Addict

there is no cogging at all.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #116
SuperShafty.com

very cool. my MMM coggs at low speed in my SC truck. its on 4 cells and is 2750 KV. i wonder if that is a programming issue or firmware issue?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #117
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
very cool. my MMM coggs at low speed in my SC truck. its on 4 cells and is 2750 KV. i wonder if that is a programming issue or firmware issue?
Probably a motor issue, Is it sensored?
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #118
SuperShafty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
Probably a motor issue, Is it sensored?

sure isn't. Castle monster system isn't a sensored system.